The Evolution of Cases

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
Someone said they were looking at a £300 ($400 or so) case.
I said this was a silly idea, as in 5 or so years, cases will have moved on beyond what we have now.

So then this thread got made.

It would be nice to see a history of case design and the good ideas and bad ideas, and who did things first.

I bought a fairly expensive case about 12 years ago, Coolermaster ATCS 201.
Its features were 4 80mm fans, a removable motherboard tray, and lots of slots.
It used mainly thumbscrews.

Head forward 12 years.
Cases have side mounted HDD bays, much easier for working with.
120mm fans are pretty much standard in most larger cases.
We have fixed motherboard trays, but with holes for routing cables through.
Cases are predominantly toolless at the higher end of the market.
Top mounted fans are becoming more common.
Cases have space for large radiator mounts (240mm).
Bottom mounted PSUs.

Considering cases have been using the same form factor for decades, there have been a LOT of developments which have made modern cases a whole lot nicer to work with and use, and more effective in terms of performance and noise.
It's amazing how even something as basic as cases have advanced along with everything else, when you would think, given the limited opportunities for development (it's a box...) and the fact everything has stayed pretty much the same (the introduction of mini-ITX excepted), cases have come on so much on the inside too.

Anyone got thoughts on what we might see next, or which currently unique features might make it to all cases in the future?

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
I actually saw one of those in a shop in Japan.
But maybe you have a point, less function, more about design in the future, especially as components/systems get smaller (e.g. Intel NUC)

Eureka

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
Should see a lot more miniature systems, to be honest. We're finding more and more that systems are getting cooler and more efficient. A Prodigy will fit your i7-3770K and a GTX 690, and a 600W PSU can fit in there too. Everything you need to run all but the most demanding applications.

For bigger cases, bigger fans and more modularity. Should see a lot more premium cases for the big boxes.