The etymology of "trolling?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

arrfep

Platinum Member
Sep 7, 2006
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trolling_(fishing)

Is this from where the internet meaning of "trolling" comes? I always assumed it was related to the ugly creatures that live under bridges and hassle peaceful travelers. But the fishing definition seems to make more sense. Never heard of that fishing term before (not too big into fishing), but came across it after reading the Wikipedia page for Ike Jime, which was referenced in the thread about freezing fish.

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
Yes. You're throwing a line in the water and dragging it around. Getting an entertaining response from someone is equivalent to hooking a fish. The reason the geen monster things get posted is because in the fishing version, the person who trolls is not called a "troll", just a fisherman. So when the verb "trolling" is used in noun form, a green monster is illustrative.

Edit: Before the internet, this was sometimes called "baiting". I remember when I used to tease my brother and get in trouble, I'd protest that I hadn't done anything wrong and my parents would say "No, but you were baiting him".

Last edited:

SKORPI0

Lifer
Jan 18, 2000
Ask that person who registered here Oct 2010 and already has >16K post. They are the "definition" of trolling. Of course there were/are lots of people besides them doing the same thing. ():)

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Rocketboom made a pretty good Know Your Meme video about the types of trolls but I don't know what happened to it after the chezburger network bought KYM.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trolling_motor

• Trolling for game fish; a motor used for this purpose is usually a secondary means of propulsion, and mounted on the transom alongside the primary outboard motor or on a bracket made for the purpose.
  • Auxiliary power for precision maneuvering of the boat, to enable the angler to cast his bait to where the fish are located; trolling motors designed for this application are typically mounted in the bow.
  • Primary source of propulsion for smaller water craft, such as canoes and kayaks, and on lakes where the use of a gasoline-powered engine is prohibited; usually transom-mounted.

mrblotto

Golden Member
Jul 7, 2007
Yeah the fishing version makes more sense. Kinda hoping for a 'bite' or response. I just thought people who used the monster term/pic instead didn't know what they were talking about, but BJ2000 makes a good point on why peeps use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.