The end of F@H on PS3

Discussion in 'Distributed Computing' started by kb3edk, Oct 31, 2012.

1. kb3edk

kb3edk Senior member

Hello TeAm,

It's been a while since I posted here but I have have continued to crunch for the TeAm all these years. I know many of you have moved on to more productive crunching rigs but I found with some sadness the announcement that Sony will be discontinuing support for F@H on the PS3 any day now:

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/10/21/ps3-system-software-update-v4-30/

Hopefully it will still be up in time for me to get my 4 millionth point in a few days...

2. Pokey

Pokey Platinum Member

I shut down my PS3 a while back because it's contribution was so low relative to the later equipment...........

Good luck on getting to your milestone.

3. Sunny129

Sunny129 Diamond Member

you don't have a PC at home that's 5 years old or younger that you could Fold on? i would have to imagine that, considering how weak console processors are in comparison to mainstream AMD/Intel desktop processors, you'd be a more productive Folder on a computer anyways.

4. ZipSpeed

ZipSpeed Golden Member

Indeed. I used it for a week and realized the horrendous PPD/watt wasn't worth it. Even my old 8800 GTS 640 MB produced better PPD/watt.

5. blckgrffn

blckgrffn Diamond Member

Your contributions to the TeAm and F@H are very appreciated :)

With any luck, you'll find a way to stay active and contribute!

6. Orange Kid

Orange Kid Elite Member

I had let my PS3 run during the winter months as the crunching helped F@H and the heat helped warm the house. Alas, I will do neither now :(

7. Assimilator1

Assimilator1 Elite Member

I hope you hit your 4mill milestone!
    I wonder why they retired it? Anyone know how many active PS3 crunchers their are?

And maybe then you could crunch on your PC? :)

8. sangyup81

sangyup81 Golden Member

Same here! I didn't want to risk the life of the PS3 (due to the prolonged exposure to the heat) for such little returns (assuming it meant the PS3 returns didn't help the project all that much :()

9. kb3edk

kb3edk Senior member

Well I did get my 4 million, on the last WU before Sony forced its F@H-deleting update onto my PS3 :)

For the record, I ran F@H on my PS3 for almost two years non-stop. Around 1,900 WUs total for just under half a million points. Not too shabby all things considered.

Sure PCs are much better for F@H, after all I had to get my other 3.5 million F@H points somewhere, but my PS3 is a "slim" second generation unit that only pulls 90W so the inefficiency was not as bad as what others suffered.

Don't worry F@H devotees, I will get back onto the project soon, I just have my PCs focused on BOINC for the time being. After all my wife is a Stanford graduate so she can only put up with me running Berkeley-made software for so long :)

10. petrusbroder

petrusbroder Elite Member

Congrats to your F@H milestone! And good to see you here too! :)

11. Assimilator1

Assimilator1 Elite Member

Good to hear you'll be folding with us again at some point :)
    And congrats on hitting your 4mill milestone :)

Btw, I noticed yesterday that F@H still advertise that the PS3 can crunch for them! :confused: