The Elder Scrolls Online: very good MMORPG, and now on a big sale

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
The Elder Scrolls Online seems like one of the best MMO's I've seen, if you like basic usability features, accessibility, atmosphere, story, general good quality - one notable thing, all NPC text in the game has voice acting, a huge amount.

There are some things to learn if you do try it, for example, to start buying 'mount upgrades' - storage and speed - from day one, you can buy one point a day, and if you to craft, to start researching 'traits' ASAP.

It's a great bargain right now on a sale on Gamersgate.

There is a 'base game' that included the first big expansion, "Morrowind". The second big expansion from this year is "Summerset" The game offers a lot with just the base game, and you can add not only Summerset but they have several other content DLC's as well you can either buy (buy to play), or get all of them while subscribed.

The subscription model includes a 'cash currency' that can be used for the DLC packs or other game cosmetics etc.

Probably the most restrictive thing about the 'subscription' is that if you want to loot crafting materials, there are hundreds and you run out of inventory space a lot though you can spend time to store things and do 'ok', but the subscription includes an automatic 'crafting bag' that has unlimited storage for them. Annoying, but nut a deal-breaker.

At higher level, the inventory gets even more tight though as you find countless 'set items' you might want to collect. Multiple chars for storage are widely recommended.

They've done pretty well at balancing that DLC, where you can enjoy a big game fine without the DLC, while it's attractive to add it also.

The package I'd recommend is the 'Summerset edition' including base game, Morrowind and Summerset expansions for $14.80 (I thought I got a good deal on just the Summerset CE upgraqde for $26 a couple months ago).

Also on sale - base game including Morrowind, $10; Summerset upgrade, $11.10; Summerset CE upgrade, $14.80 (what I got); and 'Summerset edition' base+Morrowind+Summerset CE $22.20.

They're likely to have some sort of publisher 'black Friday' sale also, on anything from the above to that cash currency. That's what I"m watching to get DLC.

Last edited:

ArchAngel777

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Tried to get into this game. Made it to 50 and CP 186, but ultimately the whole thing is quirky, bland and boring (to me). Probably the biggest reason I hate the game is animation canceling. In order to be competitive, you have to exploit game mechanics to cancel animations. Sure, it might become second nature after some time, but it looks stupid. Additionally, the whole 5 abilities per bar and swap method is tedious as hell (if you want to be competitive) and by competitive, I don't just mean PVP, I mean PVE Trials.

It's like trying to mix an MMO with twitch features, except executing them poorly with laggy responses.

that said, if you just want to "chill" and explore, and fight (let the animations finish, use abilities that are fun) the game is great. But you will get booted from Trials and Vet dungeons if you are not the top of your game. I have seen many get booted :-(

I miss the old days... You know, DAOC.

Reactions: DigDog

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I've started it three times and could never get into it.
Its The Elder Scrolls in name only, doesnt feel like the proper experience at all.

Reactions: Elfear

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Tried to get into this game. Made it to 50 and CP 186, but ultimately the whole thing is quirky, bland and boring (to me). Probably the biggest reason I hate the game is animation canceling. In order to be competitive, you have to exploit game mechanics to cancel animations. Sure, it might become second nature after some time, but it looks stupid. Additionally, the whole 5 abilities per bar and swap method is tedious as hell (if you want to be competitive) and by competitive, I don't just mean PVP, I mean PVE Trials.

It's like trying to mix an MMO with twitch features, except executing them poorly with laggy responses.

that said, if you just want to "chill" and explore, and fight (let the animations finish, use abilities that are fun) the game is great. But you will get booted from Trials and Vet dungeons if you are not the top of your game. I have seen many get booted :-(

Fair points I'm sure. But as you said, if you choose to play for other things, it's great.

I think a big part of your experience might be affected by the social situation. If you PUG, you probably encounter one type of people who kick you if you don't do this or that.

But get a good guild, and it's no problem. I did my first trial with level 27 bracers and spamming one attack pretty much, and we won. Guilds can make a big difference in helping you do stuff and not demanding you play 'competitive' as much, or helping you do it more if you want.

I've only pugged random normal, so it hasn't been an issue. But the game has a lot to offer in the 'explore' type content for more casual play. I don't plan to pvp.

I hadn't even heard of animation cancelling and wasn't familiar with it as an issue. Planning to just enjoy more casual play - over CP200 so far.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Tons of threads on this, in fact, I looked it up AFTER i posted the above, only to find hundreds of hits of people saying the same thing I did... The animation cancelling is not immersive and just sucks.

https://www.reddit.com/r/elderscrollsonline/comments/431s45/animation_cancelling_is_dumb/

that's pretty much standard in nearly any competitive part of any popular MMO. Yeah, if you want to be regularly involved in Raids or dungeons or whatever daily, time-gated, whatever cooperative end-game stuff, a lot of builds in such games will often require such exploitations. Certainly, the particularly community has a lot of influence over the tolerance for players that want to take it seriously. Just depends on people, really.

It's a lot of why I don't get into MMO all that much anymore, at least not those parts of it. I still like them, but only if there is a solid single-player aspect that will at least provide for tons of content that I can enjoy on my own time at my own pace. Not that I don't like the competitive stuff and I have often had fun getting into it and taking it seriously, I just lose patience/interest in it pretty quickly. I think both can co-exist in such games and service various types of players, but it's really about the community and if it is possible to regularly do some casual stuff. It's usually pretty easy to find hardcore groups, but casual PUGS are difficult, without a group of people or guild, really, that specifically proportions time and makes an effort to be that inclusive.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
[QUOTE="zinfamous, post: 39662317, member: 198296"if there is a solid single-player aspect that will at least provide for tons of content that I can enjoy on my own time at my own pace. Not that I don't like the competitive stuff and I have often had fun getting into it and taking it seriously, I just lose patience/interest in it pretty quickly. I think both can co-exist in such games and service various types of players, but it's really about the community and if it is possible to regularly do some casual stuff. It's usually pretty easy to find hardcore groups, but casual PUGS are difficult, without a group of people or guild, really, that specifically proportions time and makes an effort to be that inclusive.[/QUOTE]

I think ESO fits that description on a ton of content for immersive solo play.

One of the loading screen tooltips even says you should sometimes just 'wander off in a random direction and explore and discover things'.

Elfear

Diamond Member
May 30, 2004
I bought the game last year, played for a couple hours, and uninstalled it. Probably my own dumb fault for thinking the experience would be anything like Skyrim.

My experience aside, thanks for posting up the deal OP.

bguile

Nov 30, 2011
Fair points I'm sure. But as you said, if you choose to play for other things, it's great.

I think a big part of your experience might be affected by the social situation. If you PUG, you probably encounter one type of people who kick you if you don't do this or that.

But get a good guild, and it's no problem. I did my first trial with level 27 bracers and spamming one attack pretty much, and we won. Guilds can make a big difference in helping you do stuff and not demanding you play 'competitive' as much, or helping you do it more if you want.

I've only pugged random normal, so it hasn't been an issue. But the game has a lot to offer in the 'explore' type content for more casual play. I don't plan to pvp.

I hadn't even heard of animation cancelling and wasn't familiar with it as an issue. Planning to just enjoy more casual play - over CP200 so far.

PvP, at least the alliance war part can be pretty fun. At lot of it is just having warm bodies helping to hold down a fort.

Animation canceling is sort of way to increase your dps. For some of the more challenging dungeons, you will need to maintain a constant amount of damage else you will get overwhelmed by the mobs (assuming you not a healer or tank).

I quit playing a while ago, but it is a fun game.

ibex333

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2005
Aren't you pretty much "required" to pay for extra content, items, etc to remain competitive? It's not at all like Fallout 76 where you only have to pay for cosmetic appearance.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Aren't you pretty much "required" to pay for extra content, items, etc to remain competitive? It's not at all like Fallout 76 where you only have to pay for cosmetic appearance.

It's an interesting balance. I only play casually so can't say a lot about 'competitive' - but my impression is 'no'., you don't have to spend to be competitive.

DLC is more than cosmetic, but it's not really like you spend to be competitive.

There's a subscription that includes both the DLC content and the cash currency to buy that DLC to keep it after the subscription. That DLC is basically additional zones for more content, which is mostly PvE. The biggest reason people buy the subscription is unlimited storage for crafting materials.

It does contain a bit of additional skills and additional gear you can get, but it doesn''t seem to be things needed to be competitive. I don't recall seeing any talk about getting the best stuff needing DLC. That cash currency does also buy cosmetic, time-saving (e.g., xp scrolls) and convenience (portable merchant) items.

Really, I think this is a game perhaps best not played to be 'competitive'. You can buy the base game on sale for $10 and have hundreds of hours of enjoyable MMORPG play. It segregates content to let people play casually and have a lot of fun and not worry about 'competitive' if they want.

It does have some of that 'competitive' in the most difficult PvE and in PvP content for those who want it, and seems fairly typical for MMORPG's in that content.

That DLC content - is things like the thieves guild and assassins brotherhood themes that has play for thieving and assassination with content and skills, the Orc home city with a lot of questing, a 'clockwork city' steampunk themed zone, etc.

Last edited:

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011

Did someone say ... DAOC 2 ?!?!

FROM THE MAKERS OF (the original, pre-TOA) DAOC ??? !

Yessir !!
https://camelotunchained.com/v3/

Reactions: KMFJD

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Probably my own dumb fault for thinking the experience would be anything like Skyrim.
Really? I played it for a few hours or so and thought it was almost exactly like Skyrim (not a bad thing). I mean, everything about it seemed like Skyrim to me. But I never put in hundred and hundreds of hours with Skyrim so I could be way off.

ibex333

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2005
It's an interesting balance. I only play casually so can't say a lot about 'competitive' - but my impression is 'no'., you don't have to spend to be competitive.

DLC is more than cosmetic, but it's not really like you spend to be competitive.

There's a subscription that includes both the DLC content and the cash currency to buy that DLC to keep it after the subscription. That DLC is basically additional zones for more content, which is mostly PvE. The biggest reason people buy the subscription is unlimited storage for crafting materials.

It does contain a bit of additional skills and additional gear you can get, but it doesn''t seem to be things needed to be competitive. I don't recall seeing any talk about getting the best stuff needing DLC. That cash currency does also buy cosmetic, time-saving (e.g., xp scrolls) and convenience (portable merchant) items.

Really, I think this is a game perhaps best not played to be 'competitive'. You can buy the base game on sale for $10 and have hundreds of hours of enjoyable MMORPG play. It segregates content to let people play casually and have a lot of fun and not worry about 'competitive' if they want.

It does have some of that 'competitive' in the most difficult PvE and in PvP content for those who want it, and seems fairly typical for MMORPG's in that content.

That DLC content - is things like the thieves guild and assassins brotherhood themes that has play for thieving and assassination with content and skills, the Orc home city with a lot of questing, a 'clockwork city' steampunk themed zone, etc.

When I said "competitive" I meant competitive in terms of not being at any disadvantage compared to other players. Not in PvP but for PvE. I would hate to pay a monthly fee to have access to some extra PvE zones, skills, items or other loot which gives others a more enjoyable experience because of all that extra content.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
When I said "competitive" I meant competitive in terms of not being at any disadvantage compared to other players. Not in PvP but for PvE. I would hate to pay a monthly fee to have access to some extra PvE zones, skills, items or other loot which gives others a more enjoyable experience because of all that extra content.

Well, I'd say it's not really a problem - that there is PLENTY of value without that DLC. The game has ways to monitize - it could just offer less and charge less. It could make you buy it all in one big price and get everything. They way they do it lets you pick what you want, and the game feels very full without the DLC.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I saw the game has a 'play free until Dec 11' promotion for the base game (which is normally $20, goes on sale for $10).

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
The free to play weekend includes the morrowind dlc as well.

Yes, the base game ($10 when on sale) now includes Morrowind (as an earlier buyer of the base game, it's still a ~$25 purchase for me if I don't have a subscription).

bguile

Nov 30, 2011
Yes, the base game ($10 when on sale) now includes Morrowind (as an earlier buyer of the base game, it's still a ~$25 purchase for me if I don't have a subscription).

I didn't realize they included morrowind into the base game now.