The Economy is Teetering...

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
http://nypost.com/2017/06/25/the-economy-is-teetering-despite-unemployment-drop/

When I read this article a few things struck out at me.

1) The article is probably playing on the fears of the average reader. That might be true, but how truthful is the author being when he states that the economy is on the brink? We haven't had a real recession in 8-9 years. I think we're due. How big and damaging it's going to be when it strikes is the question.

2) The unemployment rate is down to 4.3, but is that number correct? How many able bodied workers are out of work because they can't/refuse to work? How many are toiling away in $10 an hr. dead end jobs with little room for advancement. How many have gone to college to find that they can't find work?

3) 1-3 young people (24m) young people are still living at home, and fewer are getting married and buying homes. That's a startling number and it tells me that the price of "things" are out of reach for many young people. Has it become impossible to move out on your own at 20?

4) Many young men are making less than $30k a year! Up to 41%. That's just insane. It looks like many are graduating from college and can't find work. Or, they are just lazy and lack motivation. I think it's a combination of both. Laziness, lack of motivation and few good paying jobs. I have a feeling if we were to watch their day to day activities we would see a lot of social media, video game playing, YT watching, drinking, smoking weed, etc. I'm generalizing here but you get my point.

5) Which brings me to the article's next point. "About 360k jobs in manufacturing are vacant and not being filled." It tells me that we have a population of young/middle aged workers who don't have the skills to fill those vacancies. But Trump would never EVER admit that because his troops believe that he's going to make everything OK. The reality is the manufacturing jobs that are currently vacant need highly skilled people, and not some unskilled bozo.

The big question is what will Trump's answer be when the economy goes to pot. Will he further damage the economy or will he be the savior. I guess we will find out soon enough.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Someone at News Corp forgot to tell this guy he's supposed to stop bashing the economy and start praising it now that a Republican is in charge.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

1prophet

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
“About 360,000 jobs in US manufacturing are vacant and not being filled — and employers are saying, ‘We want people to fill them,’ ” Mathur said.

What's the pay and benefits of these vacant and unfulfilled jobs?

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
“About 360,000 jobs in US manufacturing are vacant and not being filled — and employers are saying, ‘We want people to fill them,’ ” Mathur said.

What's the pay and benefits of these vacant and unfulfilled jobs?

Considerably less than it was a decade + ago. Many factories have now outsourced their labor to 'temporary' services (temporary meaning two years or so). These services pay less than what was previously paid per employers to hire people direct (with the remainder of the money going to the service of course). I've watched factories go from mostly full time employees to job shop employees over this time. I have high school classmates who started at Toyota (nearly 30 years ago) making more than the people who start there now do (they all go through a temporary service for up to two years before Toyota takes them on full time if at all). I know that the employees get a few days off but I'm not sure of medical and other benefits. I do know that you don't get to contribute to the retirement (401k style) system until you've been there a year (at least of the ones that I've asked about).

2nd, the companies are working their operators into the ground. Working them up to six weeks at a time with ZERO time off just kills people. A local company here had worked 12 hours per day, 7 days a week for 6 straight weeks. The reason they went to 12 hours per day (2 shifts) because they couldn't get enough people to fill 3 shifts.

There is a county nearby that has a company called "The Job Shop". They run an ad on the radio stating that they have over 100 jobs ready to be filled. The ad has been running for over a year.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
We have a lot of problems in the job sector, but what are these employers doing to train the employees? I see a lot of technical jobs being filled by h1b visa holders because companies just dont want to hire American workers. Even Universities are hiring foreign workers and firing the Americans. It is so bad that many colleges have pulled back from offering degrees in the computer field.

The greedy companies and the federal government are the ones causing the supposed shortages.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
It looks like many are graduating from college and can't find work.
Now that has some truth to it depending on what field they studied.
We have a lot of problems in the job sector, but what are these employers doing to train the employees? I see a lot of technical jobs being filled by h1b visa holders because companies just dont want to hire American workers. Even Universities are hiring foreign workers and firing the Americans. It is so bad that many colleges have pulled back from offering degrees in the computer field.

The greedy companies and the federal government are the ones causing the supposed shortages.
https://www.bloomberg.com/view/arti...s-is-getting-the-educated-immigrants-it-needs
http://money.cnn.com/2017/06/28/technology/gm-engineer-training/index.html
Many factories have now outsourced their labor to 'temporary' services (temporary meaning two years or so).
While I cannot give any details I and several other people are on the verge of prospering from some outsourcing.