The Economist: America could do better than Barack Obama; sadly, Romney's not it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
http://www.economist.com/news/leade...-fit-bill-which-one?fsrc=scn/rd_ec/which_one_

The problem is that there are a lot of Romneys and they have committed themselves to a lot of dangerous things.

Take foreign policy. In the debates Mr Romney stuck closely to the president on almost every issue. But elsewhere he has repeatedly taken a more bellicose line. In some cases, such as Syria and Russia (see article), this newspaper would welcome a more robust position. But Mr Romney seems too ready to bomb Iran, too uncritically supportive of Israel and cruelly wrong in his belief in “the Palestinians not wanting to see peace”. The bellicosity could start on the first day of his presidency, when he has vowed to list China as a currency manipulator—a pointless provocation to its new leadership that could easily degenerate into a trade war.

Or take reducing the deficit and reforming American government. Here there is more to like about Mr Romney. He generally believes in the smaller state we would rather see; he would slash red tape and his running-mate, Paul Ryan, has dared to broach much-needed entitlement reform.

Yet far from being the voice of fiscal prudence, Mr Romney wants to start with huge tax cuts (which will disproportionately favour the wealthy), while dramatically increasing defence spending. Together those measures would add $7 trillion to the ten-year deficit. He would balance the books through eliminating loopholes (a good idea, but he will not specify which ones) and through savage cuts to programmes that help America’s poor (a bad idea, which will increase inequality still further). At least Mr Obama, although he distanced himself from Bowles-Simpson, has made it clear that any long-term solution has to involve both entitlement reform and tax rises. Mr Romney is still in the cloud-cuckoo-land of thinking you can do it entirely through spending cuts: the Republican even rejected a ratio of ten parts spending cuts to one part tax rises. Backing business is important, but getting the macroeconomics right matters far more.

Mr Romney’s more sensible supporters explain his fiscal policies away as necessary rubbish, concocted to persuade the fanatics who vote in the Republican primaries: the great flipflopper, they maintain, does not mean a word of it. Of course, he knows in current circumstances no sane person would really push defence spending, projected to fall below 3% of GDP, to 4%; of course President Romney would strike a deal that raises overall tax revenues, even if he cuts tax rates.

The bottom line - Obama hasn't been the best, but Romney would almost certainly be worse. Nothing he says adds up - we have a metric ton of promises, but not one drop of substance to back anything up.

Last edited:

Juror No. 8

Banned
Sep 25, 2012
LOL. Isn't The Economist a Rothschild-controlled propaganda outlet for the ruling international banking class? If so, what a shock! Rich people love them some Big Government-spouting, corporatist puppet presidents who will toe the line and not upset their apple cart.

Obama and Romney - the two best puppets money can buy.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
LOL. Isn't The Economist a Rothschild-controlled propaganda outlet for the ruling international banking class? If so, what a shock! Rich people love them some Big Government-spouting, corporatist puppet presidents who will toe the line and not upset their apple cart.

Obama and Romney - the two best puppets money can buy.

A flock of um flew over that time.

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
Obama sucks, Romney sucks, Democrats and Republicans are corrupt institutions which have taken over our Government from us the people. Do not support the Democrats or Republicans, they do not care for you, they only care about their plan and believe in their righteousness to control us and shape our lives. They are anti-thesis to everything that our nation is supposed to represent.

berzerker60

Golden Member
Jul 18, 2012
People have the craziest ideas about The Economist. It's a well-respected news magazine that's editorially conservative in the UK meaning of that term and basically 'libertarian' / free trade in the US context. The Economist hates big government as a rule and is always arguing for less where possible. This is also the first incumbent US president it has ever endorsed.

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999
Obama sucks, Romney sucks, Democrats and Republicans are corrupt institutions which have taken over our Government from us the people. Do not support the Democrats or Republicans, they do not care for you, they only care about their plan and believe in their righteousness to control us and shape our lives. They are anti-thesis to everything that our nation is supposed to represent.

Vote Ron Paul. The Man who has sucked off the gov'ment teat for most of his life...

Juror No. 8

Banned
Sep 25, 2012
People have the craziest ideas about The Economist. It's a well-respected news magazine that's editorially conservative in the UK meaning of that term and basically 'libertarian' / free trade in the US context. The Economist hates big government as a rule and is always arguing for less where possible. This is also the first incumbent US president it has ever endorsed.

LOL. Yes, and Bernie Madoff was a well-respected investor, at least until people found out he was running a Ponzi scheme.

This idea that The Economist hates big government is ludicrous in the extreme. The Economist is all about the global central banking establishment, which is absolutely dependent on big government since central banks are essentially government-protected cartels/credit monopolies. Central banks couldn't and wouldn't exist in a truly free market.

Try again.

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
Vote Ron Paul. The Man who has sucked off the gov'ment teat for most of his life...

I'm not voting Ron Paul and I've said before that I would never vote for him based on his stance on abortion, but it's cool you have no clue what you're talking about so it's way easier to throw out insults that make YOU(yes you UberNeuman) look like a retard.

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999
I'm not voting Ron Paul and I've said before that I would never vote for him based on his stance on abortion, but it's cool you have no clue what you're talking about so it's way easier to throw out insults that make YOU(yes you UberNeuman) look like a retard.

Will you be voting? And if I may venture another question - who would you vote for?

That is, if you're are voting...

\and I apologize for my abruptness...

Last edited:

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
Will you be voting? And if I may venture another question - who would you vote for?

That is, if you're are voting...

I wasn't going to vote until Gary Johnson got the LP nomination. I identify with "libertarian" ideals mostly, but I don't consider myself one really. I'm a registered independent and do not support political parties.

I'm not casting many votes for others though in terms of State or House of Reps. I don't support Maxine Waters or Flores running against her. Sucks that I just don't support so many people, yet not voting is such a catch 22 as non-votes aren't counted against the system as a vote of no confidence.

I apologize for being a little harsh.

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
http://www.economist.com/news/leade...-fit-bill-which-one?fsrc=scn/rd_ec/which_one_

The bottom line - Obama hasn't been the best, but Romney would almost certainly be worse. Nothing he says adds up - we have a metric ton of promises, but not one drop of substance to back anything up.

As I read the above I just couldn't help but notice the completely uninformed people that wear really good blinders . I really don't care who wins . Its over for America anyway. Your part of my fate . Its people like yourself I am here to witness. Heres a link about obummer . What obummer says from his own mouth . Is not possiable . I don't like Romney . But than again there are maybe 100million in the whole world I would like. Your lucky God judges.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQLdPTXeapg

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
LOL. Yes, and Bernie Madoff was a well-respected investor, at least until people found out he was running a Ponzi scheme.

This idea that The Economist hates big government is ludicrous in the extreme. The Economist is all about the global central banking establishment, which is absolutely dependent on big government since central banks are essentially government-protected cartels/credit monopolies. Central banks couldn't and wouldn't exist in a truly free market.

Try again.

Hello friend.

Ryan

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
As I read the above I just couldn't help but notice the completely uninformed people that wear really good blinders . I really don't care who wins . Its over for America anyway. Your part of my fate . Its people like yourself I am here to witness. Heres a link about obummer . What obummer says from his own mouth . Is not possiable . I don't like Romney . But than again there are maybe 100million in the whole world I would like. Your lucky God judges.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQLdPTXeapg

Nemesis - you are damned by your own mistakes in life. Stop blaming society for your failures.

America will continue just fine - people like you, not so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.