The dual core Phenoms

coolpurplefan

Golden Member
Mar 2, 2006
I?ve watched 1080p Quicktime movie trailers with a couple of different video cards and there doesn?t seem to be any lag but when I see scenes changing however, there seems to be a tad of lag. I have no idea whether it?s a slight delay thing meant to make movie trailers ?look cool? or whether it?s because I have an Athlon instead of a Phenom. I tried these videos with an Athlon X2 5400+ 2.8GHz, an HD4670 and 8800GS.

Anywhoo, I decided since I saw different strengths and weaknesses for both video cards (I?ll discuss that later when I have the time in the video forum) that I would have one machime for gaming and the other for HD videos. The 1080p video machine would be with the HD4670 but it?s currently in a machine with a single core socket 939 4000+ 2.4GHz and it won?t play the 1080p videos without audio lag.

So, I?m looking at replacing the motherboard and CPU which puts me in a weird situation. In Canada right now the lowest cost Phenoms at 2.3GHz is $130 while the Intel e5200 is $95. I?d rather not go with an Intel motherboard since I don?t want the bracket pins that would break off if I wanted to replace the CPU. So, that would mean the dual core Phenoms WHICH DISAPPEARED (yes, I did the see the dual core Phenom 6500+ for sale temporarily for about $105 or whatever it was again) could have been a good choice.

I did read they wanted to come out with the dual core Phenoms at 2.5 and 2.7GHz in January (which would be the 7550 and 7750) but that?s kind of a long wait. Anyway, what do you think? Do you think it makes any sense for AMD to keep holding off the dual core Phenoms like that?

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
Originally posted by: coolpurplefan
I did read they wanted to come out with the dual core Phenoms at 2.5 and 2.7GHz in January (which would be the 7550 and 7750) but that?s kind of a long wait. Anyway, what do you think? Do you think it makes any sense for AMD to keep holding off the dual core Phenoms like that?

That is also the release time frame for Deneb, so the new dual core Phenom may just be two-core Deneb based processors. In which case, they may have a good performance boost over current Athlon X2's.

Cogman

Lifer
Sep 19, 2000
Originally posted by: Foxery
Dude. Whatever you're on, I want two.

QFT!

Really, Im struggling to see more then two sentences that are remotely related in the OP. I Honestly don't know what he is asking for, or stating. He goes from video cards and HD to why isn't AMD releasing Dual core CPUs, all in 3 paragraphs!

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
Originally posted by: Cogman

QFT!

Really, Im struggling to see more then two sentences that are remotely related in the OP. I Honestly don't know what he is asking for, or stating. He goes from video cards and HD to why isn't AMD releasing Dual core CPUs, all in 3 paragraphs!

It made sense to me. I thought that he was asking if the Phenom 2X's would be good enough to play 1080P video. He prefaces this by saying that his current rig has slowdowns when changing scenes, and he wants to make sure his new one will not.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
You can get tri-core Phenoms pretty cheap now, does it have to be dual core? I think AMD will be shipping 45nm parts sooner then later, so you'll probably see those eventually. I'd hold off, both AMD and Intel are about to release product updates. Of course AM2+ should be able to be upgraded to AMD's newer processors when they release, so that gives you some degree of future proofing as well.

coolpurplefan

Golden Member
Mar 2, 2006

Ah relax lol. I'm going to apply for a job at the end of this month or the beginning of next month. So, I guess I'll stop worrying about unimportant stuff maybe later. I don't know. haha

Originally posted by: SlowSpyder
You can get tri-core Phenoms pretty cheap now, does it have to be dual core? I think AMD will be shipping 45nm parts sooner then later, so you'll probably see those eventually. I'd hold off, both AMD and Intel are about to release product updates. Of course AM2+ should be able to be upgraded to AMD's newer processors when they release, so that gives you some degree of future proofing as well.

Well, the point was the $35 difference between the cheapest X3 and the e5200. It does make a difference if you want to just upgrade a second computer.

I did not find the HDMI driver for the HD4670 on the AMD website so I just installed an HDMI driver I found on the Asus website for the Asus M3A78-EM motherboard (even though the HD4670 was installed on an older Abit mobo). Anyway, the audio lag is gone for some of the Quicktime 1080p movie trailers. So, this means I should be able to hang tight until the Denebs arrive (I hope).

EDIT: I was not using an HDMI connector, only the on-board audio so I don't know why the audio lag disappeared on some videos. All videos were on the same site (Apple) so I don't know why some of them had audio lag and some not.

robmurphy

Feb 16, 2007
I doubt AMD will release the dual core Phenoms as they were advertised before. The 2.3 GHz dual core has the same TDP (95W)as the 2.3 GHz 4 core Phenom. If they are really going to use that amount of power at 2.3 GHz what will happen when people overclock them?

Another point against releasing the dual core Phenoms is they will have to sit above the present Athlon X2s and below the 3 core Phenoms. That will complicate the present pricing structure, and probably take away sales from the existing Athlon X2s.

I think AMD will update the cores used on the dual core CPUs once they have stopped production of the 90nm versions. I also think that once the 45nm process is up and running is the time to introduce the new cores in a dual core version. I'm guessing but I would think that AMD will be looking for a TDP of 45W or at most 65W for these new dual cores.

I would not try to guess if they would be called Phenoms or Athlon X2s.

Rob.

RiverRicer

Aug 28, 2007
Originally posted by: Cogman

QFT!

Just follow the bouncing ball, Cogman!

Phynaz

Lifer
Mar 13, 2006
There's no such thing as a dual core Phenom.

AMD spokesman Jake Whitman on June 11th:
"Dual-core Phenom? I've never seen that on a road map"

Perhaps you meant Kuma, which has not been released yet.

coolpurplefan

Golden Member
Mar 2, 2006
Originally posted by: Phynaz

There was. I'm the one who started a thread about that a while ago. I think it was in the beginning of September. And there were links in that thread.

Originally posted by: robmurphy
...probably take away sales from the existing Athlon X2s...

The point is, it would then take away sales from the e5200.

You want to read a weird conspiracy theory? Well, not conspiracy but anyway... I read messages about people laughing at the heatsinks on AMD CPUs on hardforum then I saw some messages about the heatsinks here. And when the new 3.1GHz Athlon came out, it came out with a heatpipe cooler. Then someone started a thread making comparisons between the new 3.1GHz Athlon with 512K cache and the Windsor 3.0GHz with 1MB per core cache. Anyway, newegg had a "new arrival" which was the Windsor 3.0GHz 1MBx2 at the same price as the 3.1GHz with 512K.

I can't prove anyone at AMD is actually reading this and coming out with new CPUs or whatever to make us happy. But, I did want to point out if anyone at AMD did read this that the ones who want that extra bandwidth of the Phenoms at a budget price may end up considering the Core2 instead. We'll see in 3 weeks if these messages had any impact. :confused:

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
dualcore phenom would be called an X2.

so no, there will be no phenoms called X2 phenoms.

I think your thinkn of the tricore phenoms.

I hope this helps.

Phynaz

Lifer
Mar 13, 2006

Viditor

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 1999
What you're looking for is Kuma (read through the link Phynaz posted).
While Kuma isn't part of the "Phenom" model naming system, it is a dual core "Stars" (K10) chip...

BLaber

Jun 23, 2008
Originally posted by: Phynaz

x2 6500+ (Its a dual core phenom i.e has 2MB of L3 cache , no Athlon has L3 cache) it does exist and does well at overclocking and on performance side Phenom x2 at 2.3Ghz/1.8Ghz NB is roughly equal to Athlon x2 at 2.6 Ghz in performance.

Only thing going against x2 6500 is power consumption, on average consumes 20w++ more than Athlon x2 in both idle and load. :thumbsdown:

Overclocks to 3.4 Ghz in this test. :)

x2 5000 @ 2.6 Ghz vs x2 6500 at 2.3 Ghz :thumbsup:

Availability :

http://www.salland.eu/?ref=9&pid=65674

http://www.hardwareschotte.de/...+Edition+AD6500WCGHBOX

http://geizhals.at/eu/a361555.html

coolpurplefan

Golden Member
Mar 2, 2006
Gee, the AD6500WCGHBOX is for the black edition. Is there a serial number for the regular edition if it exists?

Hey BLaber, how do you spell "farfuneugen" or whatever, the thing they used to say in Volkswagen commercials?

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
Originally posted by: Viditor
What you're looking for is Kuma (read through the link Phynaz posted).
While Kuma isn't part of the "Phenom" model naming system, it is a dual core "Stars" (K10) chip...

I thought that Kuma was just the codename. If it is the product name, that will help with product differentiation.