The Dresden Files

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Its kinda like X-files but the investigator is a wizard and he has his own "agency" or whatever, he isn't part of the FBI or police forces.. I saw one episode and it was pretty cool.

SarcasticDwarf

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2001
Originally posted by: pontifex
Its kinda like X-files but the investigator is a wizard and he has his own "agency" or whatever, he isn't part of the FBI or police forces.. I saw one episode and it was pretty cool.

I read the books and was rather disappointed. The problem is, there is so much backstory that they could not fit it into a tv show.

And what happened to the damn talking skill! (Bob)

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
I liked the first episode. I'll watch more, but may have to wait until I get the replacement Tivo.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: SarcasticDwarf
Originally posted by: pontifex

I read the books and was rather disappointed. The problem is, there is so much backstory that they could not fit it into a tv show.

And what happened to the damn talking skill! (Bob)

didn't know it was based on books. there is a skull but it doesn't talk. there is a ghost guy or something named Bob though.

thedarkwolf

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
Yeah I've read the first 4 or 5 books and they are kinda meh and the TV show isn't even living up to that :). In the books its a talking skull with a fairy spirit or something in it and he is a bit of a perv. Guess a beat up VW bug wasn't cool enough for tv either so he got that Jeep thing. I'll keep watching it for awhile but I don't have a lot of hope for it.

mryellow2

Golden Member
Dec 2, 2000
Yeah, I was looking forward to the show for a while having been an avid reader of Jim Butcher's books. Rather disappointed with the casting but I'll have to see a few more episodes before I can give the show a thumbs up/down.

I love the books. It starts off fairly slow but it really builds up with each book.

Coquito

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2003
I didn't enjoy the first episode, but I do like the subject matter. It is different then the everyday space aliens or mutant creature attacks on SciFi.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Coquito
I didn't enjoy the first episode, but I do like the subject matter. It is different then the everyday natural disasters or mutant creature attacks on SciFi.

fixed

djheater

Lifer
Mar 19, 2001
I had been mulling over posting a thread about movies like Constantine... been craving a horror fantasy fix, and I loved Hellblazer, this show pretty much fits the bill.

Anybody seen that other one, like supernaturals or something? Two brothers, mother was killed, they're out fighting darkness, etc...

Any good?

djheater

Lifer
Mar 19, 2001
Originally posted by: djheater
I had been mulling over posting a thread about movies like Constantine... been craving a horror fantasy fix, and I loved Hellblazer, this show pretty much fits the bill.

Anybody seen that other one, like supernaturals or something? Two brothers, mother was killed, they're out fighting darkness, etc...

Any good?

::bump::

djheater

Lifer
Mar 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Chadder007
I kinda like it myself. :)

My wife was mildly disturbed that I know all the creatures\villians. She wasn't entirely aware that I was a horror nut as a teenager, and I've read the horror classics, H.P. Lovecraft et. al. I'm culturally literate about horror fiction. :)

djheater

Lifer
Mar 19, 2001
Originally posted by: DangerAardvark
Liked the books, ambivalent about the series. WHERE'S MICHAEL?!

Just wanted to say, I liked the TV show, and thought the books were REALLY badly written. The premise of the books was good, the story ides were good, but the exectutino left a lot to be desired. They were written like a poor Douglas Adams knockoff, but were Adams was wittily funny, these didn't quite make it.
I have high standards for writing, I don't much enjoy Stephen King, either. I totally understand the entertainment value, I just don't care for it personally.

These books are good, just not great enough to keep me reading....

DangerAardvark

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2004
Originally posted by: djheater
Originally posted by: DangerAardvark
Liked the books, ambivalent about the series. WHERE'S MICHAEL?!

Just wanted to say, I liked the TV show, and thought the books were REALLY badly written. The premise of the books was good, the story ides were good, but the exectutino left a lot to be desired. They were written like a poor Douglas Adams knockoff, but were Adams was wittily funny, these didn't quite make it.
I have high standards for writing, I don't much enjoy Stephen King, either. I totally understand the entertainment value, I just don't care for it personally.

These books are good, just not great enough to keep me reading....

I sorta agree. Most of the draw of the books is the concept itself and the juxtaposition of the two genres (traditional fantasy and modern mystery). Basically "Wizards in the Hood" was enough to keep me reading.

I always compare this series to the Mercedes Lackey series with "Elves in the Hood"... who drink Gatorade, race cars and get high off of Snickers bars. But they're both just sort of the literary equivalent of a good popcorn flick.

mryellow2

Golden Member
Dec 2, 2000
His other series is better written imo. The idea/setting of the Dresden Files is top shelf though.