The DNC just made it mathematically impossible for Tulsi Gabbard to make the next debate, leaving Biden and Sanders one-on-one

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
A lot of candidates had no chance of winning the primary, way before Super Tuesday. Had Warren chosen to stay in, what do you think the response would have been to the DNC excluding her from the next debate?

Why even have the charade of a primary?

So dishonest. You contend that even though Gabbard failed to qualify for the last 5 debates the Party should let her participate in the next because she received 103 votes in Samoa. Because misogyny & shit. That's absurd.

Reactions: Aegeon

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
...since you are the master of this dominion, if my opinion is not welcome here, I am happy to spend my time elsewhere.
No need to play the victim card, man . . . as so many right wingers, closeted or out, do. It's disappointing to see you do so.

You're an educated white male in America, not some exhausted Honduran woman with a young child being turned at our southern border. You're in the fucking catbird seat, muchacho. So buck up and keep shining yourself on, you crazy diamond.

Just cut the "poor, put upon me" bullshit, k? Nobody's buying it. ;)

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
Worldview is born of life experiences. I am a politically engaged independent who’s rejected the GOP and now find myself aligned with people who l’ve never agreed with, largely due to their arrogance.

Dismissing my beliefs as arrant or lacking credibility simply reinforces what shaped that perception.

I respect you, and since you are the master of this dominion, if my opinion is not welcome here, I am happy to spend my time elsewhere.

My only real objection in this thread is that you're putting more value into Gabbard's ideals and campaign than she really warrants. She's not a shining beacon of values being held back by the DNC; she has some good ideas, but she has also made some questionable decisions and just hasn't attracted much attention from either the moderates or the progressives.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
I should start supporting Biden then...facts are facts

Biden has a decent chance of beating Trump, Gabbard does not.

Personally I am entirely unconvinced Biden would achieve very much if he did beat Trump, but the reality is that politics is more than just one guy and one election...beating Trump is just one part of it, it would be a small start not the whole battle - you gotta start somewhere. I believe a Sanders victory would be a better start than a Biden one, but the reality is that the political system means that even an actual Sanders Presidency probably wouldn't achieve a huge amount on its own. Political change requires large social movements.

Also, maybe I'm misguided and in a tiny minority in feeling this, but I actually feel a tiny bit sorry for Gabbard. Seems to me that she was essentially raised in a cult, and that is directly-related how she finds herself with a strange mixture of dubious stances that have no real political constituency to appeal to.

Feb 4, 2009
A lot of candidates had no chance of winning the primary, way before Super Tuesday. Had Warren chosen to stay in, what do you think the response would have been to the DNC excluding her from the next debate?

Why even have the charade of a primary?

super tuesday changed this to impossible as in math impossible.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I have to also express my admiration for Starbuck’s commitment to concern trolling that’s so painfully obvious it should be humiliating.

What a sham of a primary where a candidate polling at around 1% can’t share the debate stage with candidates polling 30-40 times her support. It must be because they hate women, Hindus, and veterans.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
What's kind of odd is her policies are basically the most far left out of anyone other than Bernie, and in some cases she's even further left of Bernie. She and Bernie are the only ones advocating for single payer (after Warren walked it back), she wants to legalize all drugs, and is also in the anti-war camp.

I suspect she ended up in this trap because she got most of her fanbase from going on Joe Rogan, who probably only follow her because she's pretty and aren't actually paying attention to her policies besides the anti-war bit.

It's not odd, it's just bad faith. These right-wingers love a far-lefty like Gabbard for no other reasons than because she has no hope of winning, and because her ongoing presence in the race can be used to divide the Dems and spread FUD.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
No need to play the victim card, man . . . as so many right wingers, closeted or out, do. It's disappointing to see you do so.
I don’t consider myself a victim. I do sometimes pity the poor straw men.

You're an educated white male in America, not some exhausted Honduran woman with a young child being turned at our southern border. You're in the fucking catbird seat, muchacho. So buck up and keep shining yourself on, you crazy diamond.
Privilege is relative.

Reactions: Thunder 57

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
My only real objection in this thread is that you're putting more value into Gabbard's ideals and campaign than she really warrants. She's not a shining beacon of values being held back by the DNC; she has some good ideas, but she has also made some questionable decisions and just hasn't attracted much attention from either the moderates or the progressives.
I am disappointed that Warren, Bloomberg, Klobuchar, Buttigieg and Yang all dropped out. The America that I want to live in would be a blend of their ideas. The realization of those ideas requires a bold, credible and visionary leader. An FDR or Kennedy or Eisenhower or Reagan.

It just surprised me that the DNC decided to rally around another uninspired centrist, and Gabbard is the last remaining candidate with the audacity to challenge a system that produced...Joe Biden.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I get the feeling from this primary that no one knows what the DNC is or how powerless it is.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
I am disappointed that Warren, Bloomberg, Klobuchar, Buttigieg and Yang all dropped out. The America that I want to live in would be a blend of their ideas. The realization of those ideas requires a bold, credible and visionary leader. An FDR or Kennedy or Eisenhower or Reagan.

It just surprised me that the DNC decided to rally around another uninspired centrist, and Gabbard is the last remaining candidate with the audacity to challenge a system that produced...Joe Biden.

Not the wicked DNC but rather Dem primary voters. And Bernie doesn't challenge the system... Really?

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
I have to also express my admiration for Starbuck’s commitment to concern trolling that’s so painfully obvious it should be humiliating.

What a sham of a primary where a candidate polling at around 1% can’t share the debate stage with candidates polling 30-40 times her support. It must be because they hate women, Hindus, and veterans.
As always, I appreciate your concern.

NostaSeronx

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2011
Biden has a decent chance of beating Trump, Gabbard does not.
If all three major candidates have medical issues. Then, it is really just Pence vs Gabbard.

Gabbard would fail because HRC failed. Also, like Biden too in which she is too republican minded. Republicans are 100% unprepared for Global Automization. Which will kill jobs left and right w/o remorse. Doesn't matter where you live your job is gone.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Should Sanders drop out now

No. He still has the possibility of having the most pledged delegates at the convention. He already said he'll stand aside if he doesn't.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
As always, I appreciate your concern.
Like I said it’s not concern, your commitment to transparently dishonest concern trolling is impressive!

I do wonder what your preferred outcome is though. Do you want us to keep making fun of you for it or would you feel better if we pretended to believe that your concern is genuine?

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Like I said it’s not concern, your commitment to transparently dishonest concern trolling is impressive!
yawn

Do you want us to keep making fun of you for it
That’s about all concern squad is capable of, although if you’re going to make fun of me, may I suggest something other than passive aggressive ad hominem and tired memes? Thanks.

or would you feel better if we pretended to believe that your concern is genuine?
I would prefer we have a conversation. You are one of the few liberals worth debating. Not sure why you’ve decided to play to the cheers of the peanut gallery.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
yawn

That’s about all concern squad is capable of, although if you’re going to make fun of me, may I suggest something other than passive aggressive ad hominem and tired memes? Thanks.

I would prefer we have a conversation. You are one of the few liberals worth debating. Not sure why you’ve decided to play to the cheers of the peanut gallery.

You really should stop and ask yourself why you expect us to be stupid enough to believe that you're really truly concerned that the DNC is somehow screwing over a candidate that 1) you are fundamentally ideologically opposed to, and 2) has effectively zero support from the voters.

You want passive aggressive, ad homs, and the peanut gallery? Look in the fucking mirror. You want a conversation? Start by being honest for fucking once.

Reactions: ivwshane

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
You really should stop and ask yourself why you expect us to be stupid enough to believe that you're really truly concerned that the DNC is somehow screwing over a candidate that 1) you are fundamentally ideologically opposed to, and 2) has effectively zero support from the voters.

You want passive aggressive, ad homs, and the peanut gallery? Look in the fucking mirror. You want a conversation? Start by being honest for fucking once.
Put down your bucket, waterboy, and we can have a conversation.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Put down your bucket, waterboy, and we can have a conversation.
Whose water am I supposed to be carrying exactly?

We can have a conversation when you choose to converse honestly. In this case, you can do that by recognizing and acknowledging the obvious fact that it was the voters who rejected Gabbard, not the DNC.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Whose water am I supposed to be carrying exactly?

We can have a conversation when you choose to converse honestly. In this case, you can do that by recognizing and acknowledging the obvious fact that it was the voters who rejected Gabbard, not the DNC.

The conversation has been had. He just doesn't care. He bounces between it's because she's a woman and her policies.

Well, Sanders has similar policies and the votes. The DNC obviously doesn't have a problem with women politicians.

So he's left with "yawning" and pretending like he's not just concern trolling, while projecting as strong as any other republican.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004

Why do you feel that Sanders isn't a challenger? He certainly seems disruptive to me. That doesn't even mean he's the best, just that he's more against the establishment than he is for it. And Gabbard doesn't really have that visionary spark or a unifying force; her main allure is to both a small cross-section of independents and to conservatives who say they'd support her but would just vote Trump anyway.

As it stands, if people like Mike Cernovich and Russian outlets like RT back Gabbard (and they have), that to me raises alarm bells. They want chaos, division, a candidate that serves Trump's chances rather than a return to functioning (if flawed) democracy.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I’m still trying to figure out why a woman with a level of support that is statistically indistinguishable from zero should be included in a debate.

Reactions: Aegeon and Vic