The DNC just made it mathematically impossible for Tulsi Gabbard to make the next debate, leaving Biden and Sanders one-on-one

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Why have debate rules if you’re just going to change them? Red sweater guy was welcome to launch a campaign. Gabbard did launch a campaign. She’s still in it.

Gabbard brings a diverse perspective. Seems odd that liberals lament the lack of diversity and misogyny, yet are blocking the one female candidate left because she might press the questions the moderators are too chicken shit to ask.

She had her chance in Mar 2019.

In Mar 2020 she has 0.0% chance of winning and would only be wasting everyone's time. She needs to fuck off, she's lost.

If she really wants to get some face time during the debates, she can spend some of her rubles on ads during the breaks.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
I figured out how she won delegates from Samoa. She was born there, a native son/daughter thing. She got 103 votes. Turnout was almost non-existent.

alcoholbob

Diamond Member
May 24, 2005
The fall of the last right wing voter’s “Democrat I would have voted for”. sob!

So cheated...

What's kind of odd is her policies are basically the most far left out of anyone other than Bernie, and in some cases she's even further left of Bernie. She and Bernie are the only ones advocating for single payer (after Warren walked it back), she wants to legalize all drugs, and is also in the anti-war camp.

I suspect she ended up in this trap because she got most of her fanbase from going on Joe Rogan, who probably only follow her because she's pretty and aren't actually paying attention to her policies besides the anti-war bit.

Reactions: Bitek

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
What's kind of odd is her policies are basically the most far left out of anyone other than Bernie, and in some cases she's even further left of Bernie. She and Bernie are the only ones advocating for single payer (after Warren walked it back), she wants to legalize all drugs, and is also in the anti-war camp.

I suspect she ended up in this trap because she got most of her fanbase from going on Joe Rogan, who probably only follow her because she's pretty and aren't actually paying attention to her policies besides the anti-war bit.

She never inspired trust. It's also a tough proposition to peel off any Bernie supporters.

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
Get the youth charged up.

Yep....all charged up until election day shows up and then......they again don't show up to vote. Same shit the "charged up youth" of America has done in every election. They talk a good game but never can pry themselves away from their phones long enough to vote. Never changes.

Reactions: JEDIYoda

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Yep....all charged up until election day shows up and then......they again don't show up to vote. Same shit the "charged up youth" of America has done in every election. They talk a good game but never can pry themselves away from their phones long enough to vote. Never changes.

I wouldn't make too much of primary turnout. Younger voters turned out well in 2018 to kick GOP ass & they like Trump a whole lot less than the rest of the Party.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
WhatabouTrump. That is your argument.

This demonstrates why I think the very term 'whataboutism' needs to be scrapped.

In this case the argument is that you are being weirdly inconsistent and showing selective outrage. When that is pointed out, you use accusations of 'whataboutism' as a way of not answering the point. That is, actually, how the concept of whataboutism is too often employed - as a means of not having to justify double-standards.

(It was, after all, initially invented to excuse US foreign-policy crimes. Anyone points at anything the US has done wrong, you just say "that's whataboutism" and try to shift back to talking about the Soviets.)

Gabbard has negligible levels of support. She's a marginal candidate who represents no major political faction or persuasion, so what is lost by her absence from the debate, other than a bit of time-wasting distraction from the real contest?

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Starbucks agenda is to attempt to support the candidate least likely to beat Trump.......facts are facts!!

Reactions: Meghan54

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
She never inspired trust. It's also a tough proposition to peel off any Bernie supporters.
^^^ With good fucking reason. To my mind, she's a nut case, authoritarian loving cult baby who's just as deep and prepared to be POTUS as Sarah Palin. She is better looking, though, so there's that!

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
I wouldn't make too much of primary turnout. Younger voters turned out well in 2018 to kick GOP ass & they like Trump a whole lot less than the rest of the Party.

I pray that's the case this Nov. We shall see....and I'm not too optomistic, given the history of youth vote in this country.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
This demonstrates why I think the very term 'whataboutism' needs to be scrapped.

In this case the argument is that you are being weirdly inconsistent and showing selective outrage. When that is pointed out, you use accusations of 'whataboutism' as a way of not answering the point. That is, actually, how the concept of whataboutism is too often employed - as a means of not having to justify double-standards.

(It was, after all, initially invented to excuse US foreign-policy crimes. Anyone points at anything the US has done wrong, you just say "that's whataboutism" and try to shift back to talking about the Soviets.)

Gabbard has negligible levels of support. She's a marginal candidate who represents no major political faction or persuasion, so what is lost by her absence from the debate, other than a bit of time-wasting distraction from the real contest?
Double standard not found. The only double standard I see is a party that yells misogyny, and yet changed the rules to prevent the last remaining female candidate from participating in the debate.

The DNC is afraid Gabbard will weaken Biden. That is the only reason to exclude her. What do you think is going to happen the moment Biden steps into the general election?

She is a veteran. She is unconventional. She has had the audacity to stand up to her own party.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Double standard not found. The only double standard I see is a party that yells misogyny, and yet changed the rules to prevent the last remaining female candidate from participating in the debate.

The DNC is afraid Gabbard will weaken Biden. That is the only reason to exclude her. What do you think is going to happen the moment Biden steps into the general election?

She is a veteran. She is unconventional. She has had the audacity to stand up to her own party.

She has no chance of winning the primary, she's an irrelevance to the debate. She wouldn't just weaken Biden, she'd weaken the Democrats' chances overall and just generally waste everyone's time - I can't blame the DNC (who I don't, in general, fully trust, as it happens) for not wanting that, but it seems as if that might be what you want.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
She has no chance of winning the primary, she's an irrelevance to the debate. She wouldn't just weaken Biden, she'd weaken the Democrats' chances overall and just generally waste everyone's time - I can't blame the DNC (who I don't, in general, fully trust, as it happens) for not wanting that, but it seems as if that might be what you want.

He's just starbucking you. He has his own dictionary that's to be released any day now. In at least two posts in this thread, he tries to assert the DNC doesn't want Gabbard because she's a woman, lol. I mean, cmon....anyone with a pragmatic view wouldn't even bother saying that. He's all about the behavior controls, shaming, twisting whataboutism for his purpose only. Don't take him too seriously, his game is worn and tired. The way he presents things is a very conservative style game.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999

I have actual admiration for your persistance here. You're certainly no dummy. So I have to wonder to what extent you truly believe some of the arrant bullshit you sling in your arguments.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
A lot of candidates had no chance of winning the primary, way before Super Tuesday. Had Warren chosen to stay in, what do you think the response would have been to the DNC excluding her from the next debate?

Why even have the charade of a primary?

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005

You must be in dire need of one of these --
waambulance.jpg

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
A lot of candidates had no chance of winning the primary, way before Super Tuesday. Had Warren chosen to stay in, what do you think the response would have been to the DNC excluding her from the next debate?

Why even have the charade of a primary?
with all due respect --- hahahahahahhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
I have actual admiration for your persistance here. You're certainly no dummy. So I have to wonder to what extent you truly believe some of the arrant bullshit you sling in your arguments.
Worldview is born of life experiences. I am a politically engaged independent who’s rejected the GOP and now find myself aligned with people who l’ve never agreed with, largely due to their arrogance.

Dismissing my beliefs as arrant or lacking credibility simply reinforces what shaped that perception.

I respect you, and since you are the master of this dominion, if my opinion is not welcome here, I am happy to spend my time elsewhere.

Reactions: cirrrocco