The DNC just made it mathematically impossible for Tulsi Gabbard to make the next debate, leaving Biden and Sanders one-on-one

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Andrew Yang set it best. The qualifications are whatever Tulsi had +1. They are right to fear her.

Sure. Quaking in their boots on a <1% candidate.

Why does she need to be there? Why not just do a lottery drawing for a rando to join the debate stage? Would be as informative.

What's the red sweater guy doing these days? Let's invite him for some color commentary.

Moderator:
"Thank you Senator Sanders for your answer on the Turkey/Syria crisis.
On to domestic affairs... Mr Ken Bone, in 2016 you said you saw Jennifer Lawrence's butthole and you liked it. Do you consider a beautiful butthole a human right, and would anal bleaching be covered in your Medicare for All plan? You have 90 secs"

Last edited:

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Makes perfect sense if you think about it.

She is a Hindu. There have always been tensions between India and Pakistan, and if you know anyone from India, they will question why American foreign policy has been more favorable to Pakistan than India. She is Hindu, so sympathetic to Hindu nationalism.

As for Syria, she served in the Middle East. The enemy of my enemy is sometimes also my enemy.

If she’s pissing off entrenched thinking, she’s doing something right.

Is she really a Hindu? She's not Indian or of Indian descent. My understanding is that her parents were in a fringe religious group that was quasi-Hindu influenced. Some have called it a cult.

And yes, it seems like she's sympathetic to the hardline Hindu supremacism of Modi - that's a major strike against her I would say. There's enough of that kind of ethno-nationalism growing in the world as it is.

She visited Syria and met Assad, as part of a trip organised by some dodgy people. I'm not keen on the idea of bombing to support regime change, but you can also go too far the other way in excusing such despots, and she seems to have crossed that line.

I disagree entirely with your last sentence, that doesn't follow at all. What is "entrenched thinking" anyway? Does one need to point out that Hitler pissed off some 'entrenched thinking' - that doesn't mean one is doing anything right.

Pro-war 'hawk' centrists and liberals often attack the left as soft on people like Assad. The trouble with people like Gabbard (as with George Galloway) is that they provide ammunition for such attacks. I don't really get where she's coming from and I don't trust her.

Reactions: Aegeon and hal2kilo

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Yet that fear didn’t extend to Bloomberg. Accommodations were made for him when people thought him an alternative to Biden. Bloomberg failed to seize his moment.

They fear that Tusli would succeed to seize hers, especially given the killing blow she delivered to Harris.

Seems to me that Bloomberg was a lousy candidate, but just happened to be lousy in a way that the Democrat establishment was somewhat sympathetic to. That's just how things are. It doesn't make Tulsi any more appealing a figure.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Sure. Quaking in their boots on a <1% candidate.

Why does she need to be there? Why not just do a lottery drawing for a rando to join the debate stage? Would be as informative.

What's the red sweater guy doing these days? Let's invite him for some color commentary.

Moderator:
"Thank you Senator Sanders for your answer on the Turkey/Syria crisis.
On to domestic affairs... Mr Ken Bone, in 2016 you said you saw Jennifer Lawrence's butthole and you liked it. Do you consider a beautiful butthole a human right, and would anal bleaching be covered in your Medicare for All plan? You have 90 secs"
Why have debate rules if you’re just going to change them? Red sweater guy was welcome to launch a campaign. Gabbard did launch a campaign. She’s still in it.

Gabbard brings a diverse perspective. Seems odd that liberals lament the lack of diversity and misogyny, yet are blocking the one female candidate left because she might press the questions the moderators are too chicken shit to ask.

Reactions: cirrrocco

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999
Why have debate rules if you’re just going to change them? Red sweater guy was welcome to launch a campaign. Gabbard did launch a campaign. She’s still in it.

Gabbard brings a diverse perspective. Seems odd that liberals lament the lack of diversity and misogyny, yet are blocking the one female candidate left because she might press the questions the moderators are too chicken shit to ask.

yes, yes, very strange, very curious, huff huff, why Dems why is it so, huff huff, pout pout. Wash, rinse, repeat. lol.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
This will be Bernie's chance to prove Biden is unworthy, if Biden is truly unworthy. We know all the attacks Trump and Bernie or Bust idiots are going to throw at him, so throw them all onstage and make him address his weaknesses or crumble under the pressure. If Biden is as weak as I think he is, he will fuck up, multiple times. Not sure how much it will matter this late in the game, but time is running out. If Bernie can't do anything except spout the same talking points he has spouted millions of times already, then I think he loses big time. Joe is going to hammer him with "how are you going to pay for all your plans?" in order to try to trap Bernie into those old diatribes that will not fit into 30 second replies, making him rush and stumble the message and look like old man yells at clouds. Instead, quick and to the point every time: "my website explains how I plan to pay for all this, why are you asking questions you already know the answer to? The American people overwhelming want the programs that work for every other country on earth, and are sick and tired of Washington getting in the way, and that includes you. Prove me wrong."

That's it. Turn it back on him and force him to stumble. Make him explain why he is against M4A. Make him explain why he is against legal weed. Make him explain why he hates violent video games. Get the youth charged up.

Dec 10, 2005

Your concern is noted.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
It never ceases to amuse me how much right wing people pretend to care about the rules governing a primary election in a party they aren’t even members of.

It is a little insulting though that they expect us to go along and pretend to believe them.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

She’s not included because she has no support among the voters.

I have noticed your distinct lack of concern with the total absence of any primary debates on the Republican side despite candidates certainly polling higher in their primary than Tulsi is among Democrats. Why the lack of concern there?

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
She’s not included because she has no support among the voters.

I have noticed your distinct lack of concern with the total absence of any primary debates on the Republican side despite candidates certainly polling higher in their primary than Tulsi is among Democrats. Why the lack of concern there?
BuTrump. How often do incumbents face a primary challenge? Only a Kennedy is stupid or narcissistic enough to pull that off. If the Republicans choose to double down on Trump, that is their decision. I won’t be voting for him.

Was hoping Romney would grow a spine and challenge Trump. That didn’t happen.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
She would decimate Biden in a debate. Her against Sanders would be interesting given she supported him in the past.

She’s the last woman on the field and delivered the headshot to Harris. I can see why they’re excluding her.
I agree! She is NOT electable.......yet she is the Republican favorite candidate for some reason.....

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
She would decimate Biden in a debate. Her against Sanders would be interesting given she supported him in the past.

She’s the last woman on the field and delivered the headshot to Harris. I can see why they’re excluding her.

You can't see why when it comes down to a three person race, with only two candidates being remotely viable to win, that they would raise the threshold? Really?

Reactions: Perknose

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
BuTrump. How often do incumbents face a primary challenge? Only a Kennedy is stupid or narcissistic enough to pull that off. If the Republicans choose to double down on Trump, that is their decision. I won’t be voting for him.

Was hoping Romney would grow a spine and challenge Trump. That didn’t happen.
Trump had multiple primary challengers this time, several of whom polled better than Tulsi does now.

Since clearly your concern is for the process and not for any particular political party why are you not concerned about the lack of Republican debates?

Reactions: Perknose

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Trump had multiple primary challengers this time, several of whom polled better than Tulsi does now.

Since clearly your concern is for the process and not for any particular political party why are you not concerned about the lack of Republican debates?
WhatabouTrump. That is your argument.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Was she ever anything but a troll?

Even her surprising strong showing in the American Samoa caucus (29%) was only 103 votes.

Anyone who votes "present" on something as important as an impeachment vote has no place in representative government, regardless of the party she professes to belong to.

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
Was she ever anything but a troll?

Even her surprising strong showing in the American Samoa caucus (29%) was only 103 votes.

Anyone who votes "present" on something as important as an impeachment vote has no place in representative government, regardless of the party she professes to belong to.
Tulsi Gabbard ($-HI)

Reactions: jman19 and dank69