The Division DX12 renderer with patch 1.6.1

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010
Ubisoft Massive just updated the game to version 1.6.1 and this had some nice DX12 performance and bug fixes. With the previous patch 1.6, DX12 would have intermittent stuttering, but this new patch has fixed that problem and increased performance as well.

I did a comparison between the DX12 and the DX11 renderer using the internal benchmark, and DX12 was faster by nearly 8% at 1440p 165Hz. Not impressive you may say, but considering that I am already GPU bound under DX11, I think that's something. In game, this translates to an FPS gain of 6 to 8. At 1080p the performance gain would be significantly higher due to being more CPU bound.

Until SM6.0 games start coming down the pipeline, GPU side performance improvements will be quite limited, especially for NVidia which already has great DX11 performance. The fact that Ubisoft Massive can squeeze almost 8% more out of my Titan Xp with DX12 at 1440p 165Hz goes to show how far they've come since they first introduced the DX12 patch last year.

I'm sure all of those gains are coming from the heavy leveraging of DX12 multi engine. When I first read NVidia's DX12 case study which profiled several games in their attempt to add DX12, I was pleasantly surprised at how much the Snowdrop engine was utilizing asynchronous queues.

So in light of this new patch, I move that the Division should now be considered one of the top tier DX12 titles, along with a small handful of other games like Ashes of the Singularity, Gears of War 4, Hitman, Sniper Elite 4 etcetera. :D Here's hoping this is just the beginning of an avalanche, as developers begin to get a firmer grasp on DX12 and how to get the most performance out of it.

If any Radeon owners have The Division, I would be interested in seeing some comparison numbers between DX11 and DX12 using the internal benchmark.

ThatBuzzkiller

Golden Member
Nov 14, 2014
Now if they could just port over HFTS over to D3D12 from NVAPI that would be swell ...

We'd almost never see a vendor neutral implementation of HFTS in Watch Dogs 2 since it doesn't support D3D11.3 or D3D12 unless Intel or AMD decides to expose equivalent driver extensions ...

Headfoot

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2008
The Division is a fantastic looking game and performs great for how good it looks. They've done a great job on the graphics side across the board, now in DX12 too. Kudos to the Ubisoft Massive Graphics team for knocking it out of the park

Reactions: Malogeek

Malogeek

Golden Member
Mar 5, 2017
yaktribe.org
The Division is a fantastic looking game and performs great for how good it looks. They've done a great job on the graphics side across the board, now in DX12 too. Kudos to the Ubisoft Massive Graphics team for knocking it out of the park
Agreed. Snowdrop is an incredible engine and doesn't get enough kudos. Planning on getting back into some Division once I have a new GPU (ie. Vega or otherwise)

nathanddrews

Graphics Cards, CPU Moderator
Aug 9, 2016
www.youtube.com
Can't wait for the next Snowdrop game!

South Park: The Fractured but Whole

I hope it takes full advantage of DX12 for some insane fart cloud lighting effects!

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010
Yeah Snowdrop is a great engine. I just finished playing two and a half hours of The Division, and it always shocks me when I see the amount of detail and effects this game has (especially the global illumination and particle effects), yet still manages to run smooth as hell. Even with DX11 it ran great, but now with DX12, it runs even better and faster.