The Division developer went from hardcore PC studio to consoles

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

norseamd

Lifer
Dec 13, 2013
I don't think that will be changing any time soon. I don't think there is much demand for a CPU that has an iGPU that can do heavy gaming. I think it's almost a given that people who are going to do any type of heavy gaming will buy a video card separately.

The sweet spot is about $200 to $300 for gpus.

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
I don't think that will be changing any time soon. I don't think there is much demand for a CPU that has an iGPU that can do heavy gaming. I think it's almost a given that people who are going to do any type of heavy gaming will buy a video card separately.

I don't know man. Have you seen what the Iris 5200 can do? I imagine in a couple more generations it should have enough grunt to run games such as Skyrim pretty well. That's only 3-4 years away

In saying that, the Iris 5100 on my MB Pro is pretty poor. That's still a couple of generations away from even considering using it for any serious gaming

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I don't know man. Have you seen what the Iris 5200 can do? I imagine in a couple more generations it should have enough grunt to run games such as Skyrim pretty well. That's only 3-4 years away

In saying that, the Iris 5100 on my MB Pro is pretty poor. That's still a couple of generations away from even considering using it for any serious gaming

By then you'd be wanting to play games that are miles ahead of Skyrim and simply can't as well as someone who went out and got themselves a dGPU. We'd be stuck in the same spot we are now. Where you can play some games, but at very reduced settings. Games keep getting more demanding as we go along. Most engines scale pretty well to differing hardware but you're still going to be limited a bit in what settings you can turn on. Maybe you would be ok with that, I don't know. I want to turn everything on if I can.

orbster556

Dec 14, 2005
With regards to the developer's comments that current next-gen systems are on par with PC hardware, I reckon a number of devs were saying the same exact thing around 2005 and 2006.

Five years hence -- perhaps even sooner -- both the PS4 and Xbone will struggle to match the performance of mid and high-range PCs.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I would guess that the comment was more about the capabilities (DX11) than the raw performance.

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
No offense, but gamers deserve to be treated the way Ubisoft and EA treat them. Because year in and year out, no matter WHAT these companies do to you, you still buy their games.

At this point, more power to Ubisoft if they can purposely gimp their games and people will still buy them. I personally won't and refuse to. There are other games out there, and I'll play those instead.

futurefields

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2012
No offense, but gamers deserve to be treated the way Ubisoft and EA treat them. Because year in and year out, no matter WHAT these companies do to you, you still buy their games.

At this point, more power to Ubisoft if they can purposely gimp their games and people will still buy them. I personally won't and refuse to. There are other games out there, and I'll play those instead.

Who exactly is "you" referring too here? And how are you going to just lump all gamers together as a whole. You are assuming the people complaining in this thread are buying their games.

I mean really what you just wrote is "You're all stupid and I'm smarter than you" in a slightly disguised way. What's your problem?

Super56K

Golden Member
Feb 27, 2004
Who exactly is "you" referring too here? And how are you going to just lump all gamers together as a whole. You are assuming the people complaining in this thread are buying their games.

I mean really what you just wrote is "You're all stupid and I'm smarter than you" in a slightly disguised way. What's your problem?

I wouldn't read too much into that as it wasn't meant to individually single a specific person out. Gamers was mentioned at the start of the post. 'You' can be replaced with 'gamers'. Despite the well supported complaints, EA and Ubisoft rake in big sales off lackluster and sometimes broken games. PC ports usually get the short end, but still sell in healthy numbers.

It's like all the anger and complaints toward BF4. I don't recall ever complaining about the game. . .because I didn't buy it. It looks like The Division is shaping up to fall into the same deal as Watch_Dogs. People probably shouldn't buy it either, but knowing Ubisoft they'll just blame low sales on piracy and say, "See? This is why we can't justify excellent ports."

Last edited: