The development of game industry

xaero999

Apr 22, 2015
Let’s look at the best 90s games. The games that layed the foundation of how the video game must look like and what the player must do while playing.
b2.jpg

screenshot763-3.png

screnn01.gif

need-for-speed-2.jpg

Here are the modern games of the same genres.
StrongHold_Kingdoms_Mac_01.jpg

ExileScreen2.jpg

Forza-Horizon-2-review-2.jpg

battlefield_3_6.jpg

What were changed except graphics? Of course these games have greater scales of action, improved physics, branchy storylines and many more features to attract a gamer. But nothing changed in the root, in the meaning of the gaming. As the society evolves games should be developed too but we have only games with the same aims to pursue as we had twenty years ago. To kill all the enemies, to drive faster, to be №1. Then after playing you shut down your computer and return to daily life. Beautiful picture watched but no useful knowledge received.
Prove me wrong or call me a middle aged grizzler who likes only games that were released in the days my youth, but I just want to dispute about the possibility of making real edutainment games today. Thoughts?

Last edited:

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
Yay to the never ending unskippable boring cinematics ... that are locked to 30fps.

Jun 18, 2000
What were changed except graphics? Of course these games have greater scales of action, improved physics, branchy storylines and many more features to attract a gamer. But nothing changed in the root, in the meaning of the gaming.

Yes, nothing's changed, except for A, B, C, D, E, and F. But other than that...

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
You focus on the same genres as the 90s.

MOBAS werent a thing back then for example and RTS is largely dead today. Genres change man :)

I dont even know what genre world of tanks/robocraft etc are but there was nothing like that 15 years ago.

xaero999

Apr 22, 2015
You focus on the same genres as the 90s.

MOBAS werent a thing back then for example and RTS is largely dead today. Genres change man :)

I dont even know what genre world of tanks/robocraft etc are but there was nothing like that 15 years ago.

Ok, what's the goal in world of tanks? Kill'em all and be the coolest? That's not interesting anymore, I played a lot and killed a lot and was the coolest many times while played online games. I want games to change minds!!! ():)

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
Pff,world of tanks has nothing on firepower for the amiga via modem.
(except for A, B, C, D, E, and F. But other than that... )

Kneedragger

Golden Member
Feb 18, 2013
Well the root of the games is the same but what has changed in development is most of them get multiple delays while being hyped, don't have a finished game at launch, DLC already to purchase with a clear outline on content but the game might not be finished.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
Ok, what's the goal in world of tanks? Kill'em all and be the coolest? That's not interesting anymore, I played a lot and killed a lot and was the coolest many times while played online games. I want games to change minds!!! ():)

Progression up the tech tree is the goal. Playing 15v15 in a tank with other players also in tanks is the goal.

There was nothing like that before 2010.

Maybe you dont find it interesting anymore but theres a whole ton of people who do, myself included :)

TeknoBug

Platinum Member
Oct 2, 2013
Been playing PC games since the early 90's (well sorta Tandy and Comodore 64 back in the 80's too). The trend I've seen is going from complex games with depth, lots of options and detailed maps that takes time to learn to now better graphics and sounds and animation with shallow features and simplicity even a 2 year old can play.

Games nowadays may be prettier, but most of them doesn't last me anymore than a month, I used to play a single game for years back then and now I buy a game and I don't even bother with it anymore after 3 weeks or so.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
I don't really get the OP's point all that much.

That being said: Minecraft
Dozens and dozens of idie titles have introduced new mechanics and style types (some for the better some for the worst)

OP is thinking in a bubble.