The Detroit Tigers keep on winning. Any good reason to doubt them still?

xboxist

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2002
They're a full eight games ahead of the White Sox in their division. Best record in baseball by a handful of wins. Their young pitchers are showing no signs of slowing down (Verlander won his 13th game today).

I'm 27. I barely remember their 1984 championship season. They've basically stunk each year since then. It's quite exciting to witness this dramatic turn around.

See you in October. :D

EDIT: 1984, not 1985. /dumbass

Analog

Lifer
Jan 7, 2002
Originally posted by: xboxist
They're a full eight games ahead of the White Sox in their division. Best record in baseball by a handful of wins. Their young pitchers are showing no signs of slowing down (Verlander won his 13th game today).

I'm 27. I barely remember their 1985 championship season. They've basically stunk each year since then. It's quite exciting to witness this dramatic turn around.

See you in October. :D

EDIT: fixed stupid title

1984 FTW.

yosuke188

Platinum Member
Apr 19, 2005
They will make it to the playoffs. Just a matter of if they win against more more experienced teams in the playoffs.

mcvickj

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2001
Nope. They are playoff bound for sure. They just need to figure out how to beat that blasted Chicago White Sox team.

There is a reason why you barely remember the 85 season. It never existed. ;) It was 1984.

chuckywang

Lifer
Jan 12, 2004
Yeah, they'll make the playoffs, but their record is horrible against the White Sox, Yankees, and Red Sox, and they'll need to beat them in order to advance.

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
It's proven time and time again that the winners of the WS are not the best team in baseball overall, but who winds up hottest when the season winds down.

xboxist

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2002
See? I told you I barely remember it. heh

I knew it was 1984... I must have been thinking about something else. Like when the NES debuted in America, or something.

PoPPeR

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2002
Originally posted by: BigJ
It's proven time and time again that the winners of the WS are not the best team in baseball overall, but who winds up hottest when the season winds down.
i thought it was proven time and time again that there is no correlation between the way you end a season and how far you go in the postseason

as for the OP...

yes there is reason to doubt, because they are the tigers after all. They'll make the playoffs, but damn it's about time

iamme

Lifer
Jul 21, 2001
go tigers :D

sent my sister and her fiance to the White Sox game when Monroe hit that grand slam.......awesome game :beer:

iamme

Lifer
Jul 21, 2001
btw, if the Tigers can hold on to the best regular season record, that'll make 3 pro teams in Detroit that finished w/ the best regular season record in the same season. pretty damn good.

*of course, the red wings and pistons failed to win their respective championships, but having three teams w/ the best record in teh same year is impressive nonetheless.