The Democrats Are To Blame For The Plight Of Hourly Employees

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
That being said, you are right that his argument about margins is irrelevant on its own when talking about how much they can afford to pay their employees.

Holy crap, the sky is going to freeze gold.

You didn't say I was wrong.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
Go read the economics literature about the relationship of the minimum wage to unemployment.

That's a good way to argue - direct someone to some "literature" you want them to read, and be too lazy to provide a link. Probably because you know there are numerous papers in "economics literature" arguing both sides of the issue. This is both because there is no easy to way to isolate wage as an independent variable for experimentation, and because any economic conclusion depends hugely on what your success criteria were. Looking at the same data, one might conclude that increased minimum wage is "good" because aggregate net employment doesn't decrease. Another might conclude that it's "bad" because their focus is the lowest-skilled worker, whose job represents the lowest value proposition for an employer and thus is not retained.

unokitty

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2012
Post three and the diversion has already started.

Eight things liberals do to avoid having an honest debate

1.) Ad Hominem (Name-Calling aka “You’re a Racist!” etc.)
2.) Distracting (aka “Pivoting” aka “Changing the Subject”)
3.) Somebody Else Did It Before (aka Two Wrongs Make a Right)
4.) Obama Doesn’t Know What’s Going On (Or Did I Do That?)
5.) It’s a Far-Right Conspiracy (Or The Koch Brothers Did It)
6.) You Heard That on Faux News
7.) Argumentum Ad Misericordium (Or “Do it for the Children”)
8.) It’s Bush’s Fault

The whole world knows that Obama isn't very good at governing. Or as one of his former aides has said " ‘Look, the president needs to find an issue to campaign on. This is what he’s good at. He’s really good at campaigning. Maybe not governing,’ according to this Democrat.”

Uno

Retro Rob

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2012
Hm,

I am in agreement with raising pay, but please stop shopping out of other people's pocket for crying out loud.

...and people are paid based on their value to the company, not how much "profit" they're raking in.

Conversely, if retailers see that wages are going up and adjust prices accordingly (yeah, they're making more so they can afford to PAY more), I'd like to see you all rally in support of that, too. :colbert:

simpletron

Oct 31, 2008
If my math is right, which it is usually wrong,

119 billion profit divided by 2 million employees = $50,000 for each employee above and beyond what they are currently making.

So walmart can afford to pay its employees almost 50K a year more than what they are being paid right now.

Lets just half that and say $25k more a year, which should leave walmart with a nice profit of 59.5 billion.

In other words, walmart could probably double its current wages with no real impact on the bottom line.

You to learn the differences between Gross Profit, operating profit, and net income(net profit). Wal-mart's net income is 17 billion, which is more representative the true bottom line. If they converted all net income to extra income to the 2.1 million employees, it would be just over $8000/employee or roughly a $4/hr raise.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
Wal-mart's net income is 17 billion, which is more representative the true bottom line. If they converted all net income to extra income to the 2.1 million employees, it would be just over $8000/employee or roughly a $4/hr raise.

Sounds good to me.

Maybe walmart needs to raise its prices a little bit and offer its employees a higher standard of living.

I'll pay a penny or nickle more to get walmart employees off welfare.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Eight things liberals do to avoid having an honest debate

1.) Ad Hominem (Name-Calling aka “You’re a Racist!” etc.)
2.) Distracting (aka “Pivoting” aka “Changing the Subject”)
3.) Somebody Else Did It Before (aka Two Wrongs Make a Right)
4.) Obama Doesn’t Know What’s Going On (Or Did I Do That?)
5.) It’s a Far-Right Conspiracy (Or The Koch Brothers Did It)
6.) You Heard That on Faux News
7.) Argumentum Ad Misericordium (Or “Do it for the Children”)
8.) It’s Bush’s Fault

The whole world knows that Obama isn't very good at governing. Or as one of his former aides has said " ‘Look, the president needs to find an issue to campaign on. This is what he’s good at. He’s really good at campaigning. Maybe not governing,’ according to this Democrat.”

Uno

Fallacies conservative have about jobs.

The proliferation of part-time jobs started with Obamacare.
Cutting taxes on the rich makes them hire more people

Shall I continue?

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
Congrats to eskimospy! The thread is no longer about the Obamacare influence on the transition to a norm of part time work in the nation. No link, no substance, just an inference and the thread is completely and totally derailed.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000

Shall I continue?
Absolutely! We hang on your every talking point!

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Congrats to eskimospy! The thread is no longer about the Obamacare influence on the transition to a norm of part time work in the nation. No link, no substance, just an inference and the thread is completely and totally derailed.

Congrats to boomerrang! I addressed one of his two paragraphs but not the one you wanted so you will proceed to whine and stamp your feet!

Keep going!

Oct 30, 2004
Forbes: Why Obamacare Incentivizes Part-time Jobs

I've worked quite a few minimum wage and low wage hourly jobs in my time, I can tell you from experience that 40 hours a week with the possibility of overtime is a hell of a lot better than 29 without. . . But you get the crappiest health care America has to offer for free!

Ultimately, the Republicans are to blame for standing in the way of single-payer socialized medicine. Also, it should be noted that Obamacare is the Republican plan for health care. It's the plan the Republicans introduced and supported long before it was called Obamacare or before anyone had ever heard of Obama.

Should the minimum hour requirement be set to 8 hours/week to prevent employers from circumventing the mandate?

Spungo

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2012
I wonder how many people in congress pass stuff just to see what it does to their retirement accounts. Set the Obamacare mandate to January 2014 or something like that then short the NASDAQ at its all time high. IIRC, quite a few members of congress were accused of insider trading because they bought or sold shares of Visa while legislating credit laws. Pelosi was one of them.

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
Ultimately, the Republicans are to blame for standing in the way of single-payer socialized medicine. Also, it should be noted that Obamacare is the Republican plan for health care. It's the plan the Republicans introduced and supported long before it was called Obamacare or before anyone had ever heard of Obama.

Should the minimum hour requirement be set to 8 hours/week to prevent employers from circumventing the mandate?

Number 3, number 5 and number 8.

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
By the way, we need the liberal argument chart in every thread just to note the absolutely certainty of it.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
Ultimately, the Republicans are to blame for standing in the way of single-payer socialized medicine.

That is bull crap.

When Hillary ran for the senate one of her platforms was health care reform. The insurance companies quickly shut her up and shut her reforms down.

If anyone is to blame for the lack of healthcare reform is the democrats for caving in to the insurance companies.

The goal of the insurance companies for the past 2 decades has been the individual mandate. Now that the IM is in place, it is here to stay.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

Shall I continue?

Of course.The trend has been obvious for more than a decade, but when Obamacare comes into the picture, blame Obamacare.

The most revealing part of it all is that the disinformational mouthpieces are apparently believed, that correlation really is causation in the minds of the Faithful.

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Sounds good to me.

Maybe walmart needs to raise its prices a little bit and offer its employees a higher standard of living.

I'll pay a penny or nickle more to get walmart employees off welfare.

The only reason Walmart's prices are as low as they are is because most of what they sell in there, besides food, is cheap Chinese made shit. So you want higher wages and even higher prices for the cheap Chinese made shit? Want more outsourcing?

If Walmart were to go away, it would not affect me one iota. I don't shop there, with the exception of buying an occasional music cd or bargain bin dvd. I pay more to avoid feeling like I'm in a foreign country and try to support my local businesses where ever I can.

BUnit1701

May 1, 2013
If my math is right, which it is usually wrong,

119 billion profit divided by 2 million employees = $50,000 for each employee above and beyond what they are currently making.

So walmart can afford to pay its employees almost 50K a year more than what they are being paid right now.

Lets just half that and say $25k more a year, which should leave walmart with a nice profit of 59.5 billion.

In other words, walmart could probably double its current wages with no real impact on the bottom line.

Umm, I kinda hate to be this guy, but no rational person can say going from $119 Billion to $59.5 billion is 'no real impact on the bottom line'. We can argue excess, we can argue gluttony, but it is cutting the bottom line in half, period.

BUnit1701

May 1, 2013

You can keep trotting this line out, but it wont change the fact that the Heritage foundation is NOT the Republican party nor the fact that the sitting Republicans at the time of passing did not support it.

BUnit1701

May 1, 2013
Of course.The trend has been obvious for more than a decade, but when Obamacare comes into the picture, blame Obamacare.

The most revealing part of it all is that the disinformational mouthpieces are apparently believed, that correlation really is causation in the minds of the Faithful.

OK, I'll play along, the conversion to a part-time economy has been underway for a decade. Did Obamacare exacerbate the problem? If not, how so?

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012

Its really to bad the Republicans wouldn't let Obama healthcare.gov the entire healthcare system.