The Debt Ceiling Crisis: What Should Obama Do?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

The Debt Ceiling Crisis: What Should Obama Do?

• Give in to the Republicans demands by slashing Medicare and Social Security

• Allow the country to default on its debt

• Invoke the 14th Amendment and risk impeachment

Results are only viewable after voting.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Nope.

White House spokesman Jay Carney, when questioned about Clyburn's proposal, said that only Congress has the authority to extend the government's borrowing authority. "The president does not have the authority to raise the debt ceiling. It's not a plausible way to address this problem and we do not think it is an option,"/QUOTE]

You can officially drop that fantasy now.

You learn something every day. Today I learned that Hayabusa Rider thinks a press secretary is the highest legal authority in the land and gives infalible legal rulings.

We might as well abolish the Supreme Court as part of our cost savings efforts then.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
There's a fourth option- The treasury has the explicit right to mint platinum coins in any denomination, sell them to the FRB in exchange for electronic money/ cash. The value of the bullion in the coins has no relationship to the value of the coin, so a batch of dime sized $100B coins would do the trick. I'd propose a likeness of Ronnie on the front, and a horse's ass on the reverse...

lol best post I've read all week :D

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Nope.

You learn something every day. Today I learned that Hayabusa Rider thinks a press secretary is the highest legal authority in the land and gives infalible legal rulings.

We might as well abolish the Supreme Court as part of our cost savings efforts then.

Today we learned that Thumper doesn't understand that this is not the opinion of a Press secretary, but that of the President and the Executive Branch. We also learned that Thumper doesn't understand the difference between those who make decisions and those who pass them along. We learned that Bambi is a better political analyst than Thumper because Bambi most likely read to find out what this is about before making a fool of himself.