The deaths of 8 soldiers attributed to POW Bergdahl is false

Oldgamer

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013
After CNN reported as a fact that “at least six soldiers died” looking for Sergeant Bergdahl after senior American military officials say he wandered off his base, others followed the lead. The narrative is out there, and it’s being echoed throughout the Internet. The New York Times looked into the matter and found that claim to be ‘murky.’

The Times reviewed casualty reports and contemporaneous military logs from the Afghanistan war which shows that the facts surrounding the eight deaths are far murkier than definitive — even as critics of Sergeant Bergdahl contend that every American combat death in Paktika Province in the months after he disappeared, from July to September 2009, was his fault.

During the most intense period of the search after Bergdahl disappeared two soldiers died.. Both of the now deceased soldiers were inside an outpost that came under attack. They were not out patrolling and running checkpoints looking for him. As for the other six soldiers,, they died in late August and early September.

The New York Times reports:

But an archive of military reports logging significant activities in America’s war in Afghanistan offers a contemporaneous written record of events in Paktika that summer. The archive was made public by Chelsea Manning, formerly known as Pvt. Bradley Manning, who is serving a 35-year prison sentence for the leak.

The first two deaths the critics link to Sergeant Bergdahl involved a major assault by insurgents on a combat outpost called Zerok on July 4, 2009. Their view is that the Taliban knew the Americans were stretched thin by the search mission and took advantage of that opportunity to try to overrun it.

…
The other six American deaths in Paktika that summer occurred from Aug. 18 to Sept. 5, which Sergeant Bergdahl’s critics link to him as well.

“You see a lot of anger because we lost guys not only at Zerok, but a decent amount of good guys looking” for him, said a soldier from his unit who spoke on condition of anonymity.

Where those events are identifiable in the logs, they do not mention any link to Bergdahl search operations, although the logs are terse and contain few contextual details.

Mr. Bethea wrote that of the six men killed in August and September, two died in a roadside bombing while on a reconnaissance mission, a third was shot during a search for a Taliban political leader and three others were killed while conducting patrols — two in an ambush and one who stepped on a mine.

He suggested some connection to Sergeant Bergdahl for several of the deaths, saying the Taliban leader and a village that was in the area of one of the patrols were “thought affiliated with Bergdahl’s captors.” He also said a village in the areas of the other patrol was “near the area where Bergdahl vanished.”

Still, those villages and insurgents were in the overall area of responsibility for the soldiers, and the logs make clear that the region was an insurgent hotbed. A log on May 21, 2009, for example, said it had historically been a “safe haven” for the Taliban.

A retired senior American military officer, who was briefed at the time on the search for Sergeant Bergdahl, said that even though soldiers were instructed to watch for signs of the missing American, they would have been conducting patrols and performing risky operations anyway.

“Look, it’s not like these soldiers would have been sitting around their base,” he said.

The soldier who spoke on condition of anonymity agreed that it was “ludicrous” to lay 100 percent of the blame for the deaths at Sergeant Bergdahl’s feet, and he acknowledged that patrols were going to get hit in Paktika during fighting season anyway.

This is why it’s important to get all of the facts instead of going all CNN on the story. For the right wing critics who claim the POW was an ‘anti-American’ deserter, one only has to look at Dick Cheney who asked and received 5 deferments to avoid the draft for a villain. Or the right wing hero, Ted Nugent, who was so frightened at the prospect of going to war that he literally shit in his pants and remained unbathed for weeks in order to get out of serving his country. This man actually went to war.

It would be more productive as well as patriotic to welcome the newly freed POW home.

The facts will come later.

Link

Oldgamer

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013
Quote: "“You see a lot of anger because we lost guys not only at Zerok, but a decent amount of good guys looking” for him, said a soldier from his unit who spoke on condition of anonymity.

Where those events are identifiable in the logs, they do not mention any link to Bergdahl search operations, although the logs are terse and contain few contextual details."

"The soldier who spoke on condition of anonymity agreed that it was “ludicrous” to lay 100 percent of the blame for the deaths at Sergeant Bergdahl’s feet, and he acknowledged that patrols were going to get hit in Paktika during fighting season anyway."

Cozarkian

Golden Member
Feb 2, 2012
So, the title of this thread claims the deaths are false, but the actual report indicates the deaths are real and potentially related, but because it was a war zone, shouldn't be 100% attributed.

It kind of looks to me like you are at least as guilty of overstating the evidence as those you accuse.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
lol, the spin machine is in full wash cycle trying to control the damage to this criminal administration.

FACT - soldiers died looking for the deserter that obama unlawfully freed 5 of the most dangerous terrorist for. That is an act of treason and is punishable by impeachment.

Newell Steamer

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2014
Critics of Obama are twisting the deaths of US soldiers to make his actions look even worse?

Doesn't surprise me.

Provide a copy of a birth certificate; totally fake.
President is shown lifting weights; oh, they are 25 pounders,.. what a weakling.
ACA is increasing in membership; yeah, whatever, I have a friend who knows someone who has a cousin that didn't sign up for it,..
Obama saves a US Soldiers from Taliban captivity; OMG, he saved a traitor!!

I wonder what other shit people will cook up, misrepresent and twist to bash the president?

Oldgamer

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013
Critics of Obama are twisting the deaths of US soldiers to make his actions look even worse?

Doesn't surprise me.

President is shown lifting weights; oh, they are 25 pounders,.. what a weakling.
ACA is increasing in membership; yeah, whatever, I have a friend who knows someone who has a cousin that didn't sign up for it,..

I wonder what other shit people will cook up, misrepresent and twist to bash the president?

Exactly, but let's not forget all the Republicans who publicly said like a month or so ago they were all in favor of the trade and release of Bergdahl, then quickly recanted and went so far as to delete their tweets once the President actually did rescue Bergdahl.

They can shout all they want about this being illegal but there will be no court hearing on it nor impeachment because the fact is they KNOW he did the right thing and it was legal.

M0RPH

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003
Bergdahl is a wackjob piece of shit traitor.

Many soldiers on the ground at the time said insurgents were able to take advantage of the intense search for Bergdahl.

"A huge thing in-country is not building patterns. Well when you are looking for a person every day that creates a pattern. While searching for him, ambushes and IEDs picked up tremendously. Enemy knew we would be coming. IEDs started being placed more effectively in the coming weeks. Ambushes were more calculated, cover and concealment was used," Full tweeted.

On August 18, 2009, Staff Sgt. Clayton Bowen and Pfc. Morris Walker were killed by an IED in the search for Bergdahl. Staff Sgt. Kurt Curtiss was killed on August 26; 2nd Lt. Darryn Andrews and Pfc. Matthew Michael Martinek were killed after being attacked in Yahya Khail District on September 4; Staff Sgt. Michael Murphrey was killed September 5 by an IED at the Forward Operating Base, Sharana.

Moreover, other operations were put on hold while the search for Bergdahl was made a top priority, according to officers who served in Afghanistan during that time. Manpower and assets -- such as scarce surveillance drones and helicopters -- were redirected to the hunt. The lack of assets is one reason the closure of a dangerous combat outpost, COP Keating, was delayed. Eight soldiers were killed at COP Keating before it was ultimately closed.

One soldier with the 509th Regiment, a sister unit of the 501st, told CNN that after Bergdahl disappeared, the U.S. Army essentially was told to lock down the entire province of Paktika. He described sitting in the middle of a field with his platoon, vulnerable, with capabilities and personnel mismanaged throughout the region. Different platoons ran out of water, food and ammunition.

Two mortarmen -- Pvt. Aaron Fairbairn and Pfc. Justin Casillas -- were killed in a July 4, 2009, attack.

"It was unbelievable," the soldier said. "All because of the selfish act of one person. The amount of animosity (toward him) is nothing like you've ever seen before."

Stewox

Dec 10, 2013

Doesn't surprise me.

You are mixing many groups in the same bunch.

I am not in the "president shown lifting weights = weakling"

Birth Certificate was fake
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xh37rWmUL9Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3g30VCl_cgk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2L5a_KS6iw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7s9StxsFllY

ACA is a disaster

http://youtu.be/ABOykoQQ2l0?t=6m14s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWJq2P21gEA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dT_nEBmwLLc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJiYyC9egdk

Taliban Swap is shady and being analysed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccnTJvlsosI

Ho Ho Ho Marry Christmas Everybody

http://www.infowars.com/family-call...eds-daughter-cops-show-up-and-shoot-her-dead/

Last edited:

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

I am exactly 0% surprised that you are a birther.

Do you think we landed on the moon?

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
I am exactly 0% surprised that you are a birther.

Do you think we landed on the moon?

I've come up with a solution. Anyone who doubts the moon landing can receive a free one-way ticket.

Bergdahl is a wackjob piece of shit traitor.

Oh, and that. ^

I just want to know if he lost his mind, or if he really is an enemy combatant.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
I must be unusual because I have no idea what the truth is about any of this.

WHAMPOM

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
More Obama can do no right, Must be the repeat a lie enough times strategy.

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
The big problem is the first two.
That is what drives both sides on the third option (spin)

I'm not saying that Democrats have some perfect record of total honesty. Far from it. But the shit that Republicans come up with is like listening to an over-imaginative child try to get out of trouble. It's incredible the heights their lies reach.

Oldgamer

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013
Fox News contributor backs the Bergdahl swap see video and news link here Charles Krauthammer backs the Presidents decision of swap for Bergdahl

On Wednesday, Fox News contributor Charles Krauthammer expressed his support for the Obama administration's decision to negotiate Bowe Bergdahl's freedom.

Speaking on "Special Report," Krauthammer told Fox News host Bret Baier that Bergdahl should face an investigation over allegations that the soldier left his post in Afghanistan on the night he went missing. However, he insisted that the White House did the right thing by bringing him home first.

"Look, had the choice been mine, I would have made that same choice," Krauthammer said. "It's a difficult decision and I would not attack those who would have done otherwise."

The United States negotiated the release of Bergdahl, who had been held captive by the Taliban in Afghanistan for the past five years, in exchange for five Guantanamo detainees.

Krauthammer said that the United States, along with other Western countries, "always comes out on the short end" in hostage swaps. He included Israel in this, pointing to when the country gave up 1,000 Palestinian prisoners in return for one sergeant.

"The reason we put a value on the individual human life the way that the ones at the other end of the table don't," Krauthammer said. "That's why we always end up with unequal swaps."

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
Taliban radio chatter (https://wikileaks.org/afg/event/2009/06/AFG20090630n1790.html):

1- [We] ARE READY FOR THEM.

2- ALL THE NUMBERS ARE MESS IT. WE ARE WWAITING FOR THEM.

1- LOL THEY KNOW WHERE HE IS BUT THEY KEEP GOING TO WRONG AREA.

2- OK SET UP THE WORK FOR THEM.

1- YES WE HAVE A LOT OF IED ON THE ROAD.

2- GOD WILLING WE WILL DO IT.

1- WE WERE ATTACKING THE POST HE WAS SITTING TAKING EXPLETIVE HE HAD NO GUN WITH HIM. HE WAS TAKING EXPLETIVE, HE HAS NOT CLEANED HIS BUTT YET.

2- WHAT SHEAM FOR THEM.

1- I DONT THINK HE W 2-YES LOOK THEY HAVE ALL AMERICANS, ANA HELICOPTERS THE PLANES ARE LOOKING FOR HIM.

1- I THINK HE IS BIG SHOT THAT WHY THEY ARE LOOKING FOR HIM.

3-CAN YOU GUYS MAKE A VIDEO OF HIM AND ANNOUNCE IT ALL OVER AFGHANISTAN THAT WE HAVE ONE OF THE AMERICANS.

1- WE ALREADY HAVE A VIDEO OF HIM.

The dipshit probably thought the taliban would welcome him... but at least from this episode it sounds like the taliban were trying to draw US troops into where IEDs had been setup as his fellow soldiers were out looking for him.

Oldgamer

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013
Video showed sickly POW and now the White House is deciding if they should show the public what they saw before the swap: Link Here

Oldgamer

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013
You all realize that Bush released 600 Gitmo terrorists detainees right? He released one who was responsible for a terroristic act after release as well. Look up my friends, look it up.