THE DAY HAS COME... (at long last) <---Chef0083, get in here!

DesignDawg

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Hey all,

IT HAS FINALLY HAPPENED. In my town, there's a Mexican restaurant called Mexico Tipico (which is Mexican for HOLY F**KIN SH*T, THAT IS SOME TASTY MEXICAN!). Anyway..... I have been eating there for about 5 years now, and have eaten there quite regularly and frequently for about 3. --And for the 3 years that I have done it regularly, it's always the same. Non-smoking, please. Coke. --And can we get an order of cheese dip? With jalepenos. I'll have #47 (pollo fundido). No salad, beans instead.
I have ALWAYS WONDERED if they recognize me as well as I recognize them. I know each server, their proficiency with English, how they will bring the drinks out, which cooks are usually cooking when certain wait staff are out, all that stuff. Seems to me, after a while, they shouldn't even have to ask. I would just walk in, and they would bring out my stuff.
WELL!!! Monday night, Heather and I walked in, and the guy says... &quot;Smoking or n.... NON SMOKING! NON SMOKING!&quot;, he says affirmatively and emphatically with a smile, and immediately takes us to a table. Then, without placing menus on our table, he looks at me and says &quot;Coke.&quot; --Looks at Heather and says &quot;Sweet tea?&quot; (Which would have been right, except she is cutting back on sugar, so it was unsweet this time.) &quot;You ready to order?&quot; he asks? BIG SMILES on our faces, having not had a menu at all, HE KNEW. I said, &quot;YEAH! You think you got it?&quot; He smiled really big and said... &quot;nummmberrrrrrr....no, no....&quot; and kinda laughed it off. When I said 47, he half-shouted it back GLEEFULLY at the same time, and said &quot;I was afraid to say it! 47! 47! Yep!&quot; And when I started to say &quot;No salad...&quot; He said &quot;You just want beans and rice.&quot; Then he looked at Heather and correctly assumed she would be having the same. He was just grinning EAR TO EAR!! And when he brought out our drinks, they were in BIG, FROSTY MUGS, which happens there occasionally, but never with this particular server (Dan, it's Pedro, the guy who seems to own the place...kinda short). It was like we were having some kind of celebration! And the food was quicker, hotter, and bigger servings than usual! I think I have FINALLY crossed over into that valued regular customer category! I've always dreamt of being a &quot;right this way....the usual?&quot; customer, and I am HONORED that it's at Mexico Tipico! YEAH.

Ricky
DesignDawg

Pretender

Banned
Mar 14, 2000
Dude, you are getting way too happy over this.

I'm surprised it took them 3 years to remember you. There's probably something in the air there, and I'd suggest avoiding it.

DesignDawg

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
NO WAY am I too happy! You just don't understand it. --But I am surprised as well that it took them so long. They do have a pretty big wait staff, though, always on rotation. ?? Who knows. And I assure you, whatever is in the air, anyone who ever goes there knows, it's IRRESISTABLE. :)

Ricky
DesignDawg

nickdakick

Platinum Member
Jun 27, 2000

<< I'm surprised it took them 3 years >>

I second that, I used to make customers feel that comfortable after two or three months, ;)
It's all about tips, isn't it ?

DesignDawg

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
NO WAY it's all about tips. I'm a TIPPING FOOL! My minimum tip at a BUFFET is like $3.00. I think the large staff, the language barrier, and the different people who accompany me all have played a part. Now I'm NOT saying they don't RECOGNIZE me. I know they have for some time. It's just now though that they are starting to remember my order by heart.
At any rate, surey they know this isn't gonna make their tip any bigger! ;)

Ricky
DesignDawg

Chef0083

Golden Member
Dec 9, 1999
DUDE,, That is AWESOME!!!!! People just don't understand how tough it is to get GOOD SERVICE in Starkville so the label of &quot;valued regular customer&quot; is of the UTMOST importance in that freaking town!! I'm not surprised at all because to be honest we must have eaten there atleast 2 times a week in my last 2 semesters. This works out especially well for you now that you have started grad school. Man,, you got me all thinking about pollo fondido......:D

nickdakick

Platinum Member
Jun 27, 2000
AAAAAARRRRRGGGGHHHH stop it, I'm hungry right now. It's damn lunch time I can't get me anything to eat and you guys are talking about restaurants and Mexican food.

Ricky
if you're sure about the tip thing, fine, Feels good´, right ?:eek:

Windogg

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Sounds like this one donut shop I used to goto everyday. After about 3 months it was so syncronized that it never took more than a few grunts in the morning.

Windogg

Stallion

Diamond Member
May 4, 2000
We have a Mexican joint here in town and the only bad thing is they don't have Polo Fundido on the menu but a few years back the Manager was taking our orders and I said I whished they had it on their menus and he said he would make it for me and ever since then when ever I go there they would make it just for me. :) The Manager has shown some of the cooks how to make it in case he is not there when we come in.

I love my Polo Fundido

Chef0083

Golden Member
Dec 9, 1999
Well translated I think it means ruined chicken, what it is though is Chicken grilled with onions and that delicios cheese you can only get in a mexican eatery. I don't know why that cheese is so good but it could be crack because it is SO addictive!

thebestMAX

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
Coke and Iced tea with Mexican food??

Gots to have beer, man. No wonder it took them so long to recognize you, they were laughing themselves to death. :D:D:D:D

Heather-nice name-my daughters also.

denali

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999
DD, I bet they also have not changed their prices in all the time you have been going, so you know exactly how much the bill will be. So some time in the near future they will change their prices and screw you up. I have been going to the same deli for the past 20 years, always the same order and they had the same prices for like 10 years, then one day they raised the prices and I didn't have enough money but they still gave me the usual. I don't go to the deli that often anymore but when ever I do they still know my order before I say anything.

DesignDawg

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Hehehe. Soup nazi.

Yes, Pollo fundido is Spanish for (better translated) melted chicken. What's melted is the cheese in it. It was described pretty good already, but I'll reiterate. It's like chicken fajita without green peppers, with the cheese dip cooked into it with A LOT of onion. It is served with tortillas, so you wrap it up like a fajita. Nothing better. I never realized there was the possibility of asking a place if they can make it! I'll have to try that when I'm traveling! :)

Ricky
DesignDawg

Chef0083

Golden Member
Dec 9, 1999
There was a reason I scraped through espanol,, I suck at it..:) I have allready decided to find a place to get some Pollo Fundido TODAY!

[edit] Argh,, need to learn to spell [/edit]

DesignDawg

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I haven't seen any recipes, and I DID go through a phase of looking for a while. If anyone comes up with one, PLEASE PLEEEEEAAAASE post here. I can tell you one thing for sure, though... When I move from this town, I'm gonna go there (and it should be easier now) and tell them I am moving, but I can't live without their pollo fundido, and ask them if they will give me the recipe. SURELY I can get it from them, if I don't have it by then. Hell, I would just settle for the secret to making that CHEESE DIP! MAN. There's nothing else like that.

Ricky
DesignDawg

DesignDawg

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
In chef's defense, fundido can mean ruined, burnt, melted, whatever. It doesn't have an EXACT translation, but it basically means changed or destroyed by heat or fire, so, considering it is a dish with cheese melted in it, it's safe to assume the &quot;melted&quot; translation.

Ricky
DesignDawg

DesignDawg

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
OK...I may have found the recipe for the cheese dip! If anyone tries it, let me know how it comes out. For some reason, I'm thinking I am gonna have a hard time finding asadero cheese. :(

Cheese dip (use asadero)

Ricky
DesignDawg

Chef0083

Golden Member
Dec 9, 1999
Looks like a trip to the Farmers market is in order to get the stuff I need for that...:) Muwhahahahahahaahah

and IBhacknU Grow UP!