The Darkness demo up on Live

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
Link

Content: The Darkness Demo
Price: Free
Availability: Not available in Asia or Germany
Dash Text: [ESRB: M (Mature) BLOOD AND GORE,DRUG REFERENCE,INTENSE VIOLENCE,STRONG LANGUAGE,SUGGESTIVE THEMES] The Darkness is spreading... Experience first-hand the dark underworld of New York City with this three-level, single player demo of The Darkness. Play as Jackie Estacado, a mafia hitman who comes into an unexpected inheritance on his 21st birthday. Learn to harness the awesome and terrible powers of the Darkness, and command your Darkling army to commit unspeakable acts as you wreak terrifying havoc on your enemies. Developed by accomplished developer Starbreeze and based on the comic book created by Top Cow, prepare for extremely intense, cinematic action in this gritty, first-person shooter with a horror twist. Remember... stay out of the light.
Size: 1.27 GB (approx.)

edit: From Major Nelson -
It will take a few more hours for the team to get this ready, as it is a large file. I will post when it it back.

edit2: From Major Nelson -
The Darkness demo has made a triumphant return to marketplace.You can now go download it.

No word on what made them take it down. Of course, they rarely do that.

Hadsus

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2003
'bout time. On the fence on getting this and haven't been able to find a rental.

raystorm

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
Good game and it looks excellent too. Starbreeze will be remaking their Riddick game with this engine by the way.

Oct 19, 2000
I've also heard good things about this game, specifically from my manager at Gamestop. It's been a pretty hot seller, too, as we can't keep much stock in. It took a week and a store transfer for her to even get a copy to take home to try out.

I've yet to take it home, but the demo should suffice.

KlokWyze

Diamond Member
Sep 7, 2006
www.dogsonacid.com
The game has great things going for it, but is flawed in many ways. Not worth a buy @ all IMO. Rent it, beat the single player (which is extremely short) & be done with it.

Voice-acting, style, plot & strategic gameplay = awesome.

Glitches, retarded AI, moderately awkward controls, length of game, boss fights = crap.

Yreka

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2005
Originally posted by: KlokWyze
The game has great things going for it, but is flawed in many ways. Not worth a buy @ all IMO. Rent it, beat the single player (which is extremely short) & be done with it.

Voice-acting, style, plot & strategic gameplay = awesome.

Glitches, retarded AI, moderately awkward controls, length of game, boss fights = crap.

Spot on, especially the bolded part. I bought it used + returned it after 5 days or so.
Beautiful looking game though.

Hadsus

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2003
I gave the demo a whirl. And I've finally concluded that FPSs for the console are a lost cause for me. Too many years with the keyboard and mouse. I didn't think the gameplay was very good anyway. Alot of dark areas but I didn't get much of a feeling of creepiness....more like frustration cause it was hard to see. Anyway, I'll skip this. I think though the kiddies might love it. Great voiceacting!

ObscureCaucasian

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2006
Originally posted by: Hadsus
I gave the demo a whirl. And I've finally concluded that FPSs for the console are a lost cause for me. Too many years with the keyboard and mouse. I didn't think the gameplay was very good anyway. Alot of dark areas but I didn't get much of a feeling of creepiness....more like frustration cause it was hard to see. Anyway, I'll skip this. I think though the kiddies might love it. Great voiceacting!

Don't judge console FPS games by the Darkness. I just played through the Demo and the guns are very hard to use in this game. They have a really weird type of acceleration on the movement.

Hadsus

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2003
Originally posted by: BlameCanada
Originally posted by: Hadsus

Don't judge console FPS games by the Darkness. I just played through the Demo and the guns are very hard to use in this game. They have a really weird type of acceleration on the movement.

I suck so bad I think it took me about six tries before I made it out of that graveyard shootout at the beginning alive, LOL. BTW, I also bought Gears of War......and quit half way through and sold it.

Extelleron

Diamond Member
Dec 26, 2005
I've played the PS3 demo (European only for now, but just create a European account) and I really hope the 360 version is better. The game isn't HORRIBLE, but there a lot of glitches and everything, including the controls, just feels very cluncky and unwieldy.

The graphics are pretty good, and I like the very minimal (in fact, most of the time non-existant) interface. The real problem, at least with the PS3 version, is frequent slow downs and a lot of jaggies. There doesn't seem to be any anti-aliasing in this game. The framerate problems are coupled with frequent glitches, both of which really hurt the game.

The first thing I had trouble with was the movement speed. You move very slowly in this game, even when you are standing up. The shooting feels pretty slow as well; overall, the controls just don't feel right. Everything feels clunky and unresponsive.

The actual game looks like it has promise, but this demo (at least the PS3 one) is not very good.

ObscureCaucasian

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2006
There weren't any framerate or AA issues in the 360 version that I noticed, but the look was configured awkwardly.

Feb 10, 2000
I played the 360 demo tonight - meh. It's OK but I expected more from the Chronicles of Riddick developers. That game was awesome.

PricklyPete

Lifer
Sep 17, 2002
Originally posted by: DonVito
I played the 360 demo tonight - meh. It's OK but I expected more from the Chronicles of Riddick developers. That game was awesome.

I'm looking forward to the rehash of Chronicles of Riddick for the PS3/360 as I heard so many good things about that game...but I never gave it a whirl.

Feb 10, 2000
Originally posted by: PricklyPete
Originally posted by: DonVito

I'm looking forward to the rehash of Chronicles of Riddick for the PS3/360 as I heard so many good things about that game...but I never gave it a whirl.

It really was the best sleeper game I've played in years. Great fun. The gameplay was a great combo of action and stealth, and it was among the most technologically impressive games on the original Xbox.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Geez, thanks for reminding me. I had downloaded that game demo and a bucn of others the other day and totally forgot! :)