The Dangers Afghan Girls Face Going to School

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
Once coalition forces leave, things will get much worse. Once the outside world stops the enormous amount of foreign aid flowing into the country, things will go to absolute hell, worse than they were before we got here.

Worse than before NATO got there? I can see as bad, but why worse?

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
I don't have kids yet so I do not have any deep knowledge about elementary school but from what I saw of my nieces and nephew homeworks, I did not think it was any harder than it was when I was their age. In your case, I think you should contact your local school board admin.

I took both of the ACT and SAT (it had been a while ago) and I do think they both are similar as in they both measured the basic knowledge of the test taker.

My main point is US students are whining about some trivial things while other students in poor nations are dying (literally) just to go to school.

Yea, I don't disagree with your main point :)

My son has some...behavioral issues. So we've been very involved since day one. There's not much they can do but get the kids ready for when they have to start taking the MCAS. It's my understanding that school funding from the state is directly related to MCAS testing.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004

People who try to work with the ally forces are already targeted by those who are against NATO. When NATO is gone, they'll be no threat of retaliation.

Geosurface

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2012
Don't you guys know that absolutely everything is always 100% equivalent? For every crazy extremist Muslim there is exactly 1 crazy extremist Christian bombing abortion clinics in the USA...

and facebook = acid in the face because of a book

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003

First of all, anyone that's viewed as NATO sympathizers will be tortured and kill outright unless they have the power\wealth\clout to defend themselves.

Which brings us to the second reason, which is that a second civil war is coming to Afghanistan. It'll be the same teams as in the 1990s: Tajiks, Uzbeks, Persians and others in the North vs. Pashtuns in the South. They'll slug it out over who gets to control Kabul again. The difference is that this time they have an enormous amount of weapons, ammunition and ordinance, as well as the training to effectively employ it.

When we set up their Army and National Police force, we attempted to bridge the ethnic divides by sending people to different parts of the country, far away from where they were from (not unlike what many Western militaries do.) But that's totally incompatible with their culture, and over time they all migrated back towards their homes. I work in a totally Pashtun area, and all the police, border police, Army and NDS (CIA\FBI hybrid) personnel are all ethnically Pashtun. The only exception is the commander, a brigadier general in the Afghan Army, who is a Tajik. But he is rich from graft & corruption, and plans to leave for London (where his two kids live) shortly before the American withdrawal. The higher ups in Kabul have been working to allocate weapons, equipment, money and ammunition to their ethnicity of choice.

They're basically setting up their sides for the big brawl once NATO forces withdraw. It's going to be bloodier than ever.

iGas

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2009
Punishing those that tried to improve conditions
I believe the Russian had similar propaganda in the 80s of how they were trying to "improve" Afghan living condition, and the West/America have none of that. In fact America provided the Mujahideen/terrorist with weapons to fight the Russian, and the same Mujahideen now morphed into Taliban/terrarists to kill American/invaders.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
I believe the Russian had similar propaganda in the 80s of how they were trying to "improve" Afghan living condition, and the West/America have none of that. In fact America provided the Mujahideen/terrorist with weapons to fight the Russian, and the same Mujahideen now morphed into Taliban/terrarists to kill American/invaders.

Most of the Mujahideen are smart enough to see that no one of import was going to help them fight the Americans, so they joined the ANSF. They get a paycheck (plus whatever they can steal, rob, extort) until we leave, then they can go back to playing their reindeer games. Less than 5% of the people fighting us now were Muj fighters against the soviets (we killed most of them early on.) Most of them are just poor people being paid by outside influences to fight us. They have nothing better to do, so they do it.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
And if you think we don't have propaganda about improving Afghan living conditions, you're nuts. We have hundreds of radio stations, TV stations, pamphlet distribution ops, etc. And we've spent far, far more money on infrastructure projects than the soviets ever did.