The danger of an opinion (read for that dude's sake),,you know, what's his name....

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
seriously, after inhabiting this thread for a while, I have come to review opions is such a way that it completely goes beyong my perception of them in the past.

I hear ranting about subjects accross the board,without regard to using vaild arguments. Just because you believe it does not mean you are inherantly correct.

I am not bashing free speech here, but merely conversing on the degraded quality with which many express themselves on ocassion. Iam sometimes guilty of that as well.

Seriously, I have come to realize that a lot of your are very smart individuals, and it is great to read a clear, concise, well phrased argument. well-placed and well-phrased Rebuttles are great as well.

But still, we all go into our little "brain-only" databases and many times argue for page after page until a vaild argument/rebuttle is placed, or none at all.

Why?

Many of the plitical threads are great, but thread "crapping" as it has been dubbed, really makes it heard to enjoy a whole-hearted debate.

As evidence, I give you the Cigarette butt argument. Only after the four page did the initiator and the main rebuttlelist begin to use acceptable arguments.
It becomes tedious to argue anymore because it takes so long to get to the point.

I am not really ranting without a reason. I feel that from observation, threads such as the ideal I described always end up teaching its readers a lot. I myself am in the process of learning a lot from these threads, computer related and not.

Instead of defining our problems like this:

I think there is a world market for maybe five computers.
- Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943.

Why not...:

Life is so great in its opportunities and possibilities, that you should rise confidently above the inevitable trifles incident to daily contact with the world. Life is too precious to be sacrificed for the nonessential and transient... Ignore the inconsequential.
--Grenville Kleiser

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom.
--Albert Einstein (03/14/1879-1955)

See many people focus on SOLELY the Freedom part, and not the fact tthat you have to work to get to a means of any end. YOu have freedom , so instead of being a lazy sloth taking advatntage of it, why not work to further yourself, NOW THAT many people before you died to make sure you would "have THE RIGHT TOO."

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
Only passions, great passions, can elevate the soul to great things.
--Denis Diderot

Take your passsions, and express them well..and save Anand a few buck while your at it;)