The Daily Show shows what happens to some red states if the USA was run as a business

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
So what I got from that is its only OK to piss away money if you're a democrat...... Yes?

Everyone there was from the RNC... and probably not a democrat.

The skit made a mockery of running government like a business.

I like the Glengarry Glen Ross reference.

If you're going to nitpick over a satirical skit perhaps you should watch the half hour newsho...

Oh wait that flopped about about a month.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
As much as I love the Daily Show, I can't decide if they completely missed the point or completely fucking nailed it. The country should not be run the same way as a business, nor should it be discussed in that context as the nature and reason to exist are completely different. The whole red state vs. blue state dichotomy with regards to federal tax dollars is completely irrelevant as we sink or swim as a whole.

I think you're the one who's missing the point. The Republicans in those red states are the ones who believe the country should be run like a business, and that people should sink or swim on their own.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
I grew up in the South. I have been working since I was a teenager and never used benefits such as welfare, food stamp, housing subsidize, guverment cheese and freebies, etc. as certain demographic groups (and most, if not all, of them are Democrats).

Per OP, those "subhumans", "ungrateful", "worthless", and "leeches" should die, why should I pay out more in taxes than I take in as benefits and take care those bastards for years (generations after generations after generations), right?

Last edited:

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
It's bad when it goes to worthless subhuman garbage such as yourself.
You know, for a liberal, you're awfully intolerant.

lib·er·al(l
ibreve.gif
b
prime.gif
schwa.gif
r-
schwa.gif
l, l
ibreve.gif
b
prime.gif
r
schwa.gif
l)
adj. 1. a. Not limited to or by established, traditional, orthodox, or authoritarian attitudes, views, or dogmas; free from bigotry.
b. Favoring proposals for reform, open to new ideas for progress, and tolerant of the ideas and behavior of others; broad-minded.
c. Of, relating to, or characteristic of liberalism.
d. Liberal Of, designating, or characteristic of a political party founded on or associated with principles of social and political liberalism, especially in Great Britain, Canada, and the United States.

2. a. Tending to give freely; generous: a liberal benefactor.

Oh wait, you're a progressive. They're all fucked up. Nevermind.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
We know how Romney runs a business so with a Romney win we could expect:

1) Deficits and debt levels to skyrocket, er spacerocket since debt is already beyond the sky.
2) Raids on SS and the federal pension fund
3) Massive layoffs
4) Selling off of America to the highest bidder with Romney running away with the proceeds.

nobodyknows

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2008
I'm a liberal. Helping the worthless is what makes life worth living. I don't begrudge these backwaters of civilization their federal charity any more than I do paying taxes that benefit somebody else besides me. I know that I live in California, the creator of tomorrow's world culture, simply by accident. And one never knows when one will fall from grace and need the hand of a Neanderthal to pick oneself up. Thousands of lakes, wide open spaces, fabulous hospitality, I weigh these things more than I do financial success. I just wish folk who are backward in somethings didn't need to shift the blame onto somebody else. We are all backward to what we will be if we survive as a species very far into the future, I think.
Spoken like a true (in my mind anyway) Conservative. There IS common ground, but not with the political leaders we have now. It's all about winning these days,not who is right or wrong and it's ruining the country.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
I don't understand you guys sometimes. The liberal/left view has always been to help those with less with resources from those with more. Or is the leftist view simply helping those with less whose political views also happen to line up with their own with resources from those with more?

Thanks in advance for the clarification.

BTW, some of those "leaching red states" provide a hellofa lot more to this nation than you think such as my home state of Louisiana.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
How much flows through Groton, Sikorsky and United Tech.

You hate the 1% but seem to be happy in that classification. After all, take from those that have it.

That is what you seem to want to happen.

lotus503

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2005
You mean like worthless crybaby welfare recipients who aren't grateful for their food stamps, section 8 housing, and free money? You sound an awful lot like a Republican.

"Waaaaah, they aren't grateful, damn entitlement minded red states. WAAAAAAH!"

You're such a predictable little bitch.

Difference is welfare recipients don't take benefits and rail against them at the same time.

Based on your post history I wouldn't expect you to get it.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Actually what I think would happened if we split would be that red states would wake the fuckup and say 'oops' when they realize their glorious right wing utopia doesn't work in practice so i do still think it would be better for everyone involved

Sigh.... I don't know why I even play these childish games when they come up every few months or so but.....

Louisiana is a "red" state. We get more in Fed money than we pay BUT if we were to split from the blue states as you suggest we, along with our very good neighbors, would have you "blue" states by the balls. Hell, we wouldn't even need to sell you anything (which you would desperately need us to) the moment we got to keep ALL of the royalties from the offshore drilling. Funny how that revenue, which the state of Louisiana gets royally fucked on compared to ohhh every other state in the union, isn't included in your numbers.....

Bottom line is quite simple, only an idiot would define a states worth by federal dollars going in and coming out even if you are looking at it from a "run it like a business" view.

TheDev

Jun 1, 2012
I really wish that the United States had let the confederate states secede from the union. All of those states are completely and totally useless. They hold back the progress of this country by at least 100 years.

Last edited:

Ryan

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
Sigh.... I don't know why I even play these childish games when they come up every few months or so but.....

Louisiana is a "red" state. We get more in Fed money than we pay BUT if we were to split from the blue states as you suggest we, along with our very good neighbors, would have you "blue" states by the balls. Hell, we wouldn't even need to sell you anything (which you would desperately need us to) the moment we got to keep ALL of the royalties from the offshore drilling. Funny how that revenue, which the state of Louisiana gets royally fucked on compared to ohhh every other state in the union, isn't included in your numbers.....

Bottom line is quite simple, only an idiot would define a states worth by federal dollars going in and coming out even if you are looking at it from a "run it like a business" view.

Who in the hell cares if you have oil - it's fucking Louisiana. You live in a state that refuses to decently invest in itself, and is pretty much the cesspool of the south.

basslover1

Golden Member
Aug 4, 2004
I really wish that the United States had let the confederate states concede from the union. All of those states are completely and totally useless. They hold back the progress of this country by at least 100 years.

You mean secede.

Apparently they aren't the only problem...

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
I don't understand you guys sometimes. The liberal/left view has always been to help those with less with resources from those with more. Or is the leftist view simply helping those with less whose political views also happen to line up with their own with resources from those with more?

Thanks in advance for the clarification.

BTW, some of those "leaching red states" provide a hellofa lot more to this nation than you think such as my home state of Louisiana.

Is your sarcasm meter broken? Liberals don't oppose helping red states. We're using satire to point out the hypocrisy of rightwingers.

Last edited:

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Difference is welfare recipients don't take benefits and rail against them at the same time.

Based on your post history I wouldn't expect you to get it.

No, but welfare recipients sure hate the people who pay for them to live.