The Daily Show Investigates Results Behind W. Virginia Primary

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Wheezer

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
Originally posted by: jpeyton
Originally posted by: Wheezer
this whole bullshit of people not voting for Obama makes them racist is exactly what is going to cause him to lose.
Not really; Republican fear-mongering is the only thing that 'might' cause him to lose. But with the Republican brand so badly damaged (they are losing Congress seats in HEAVILY Republican areas left and right), I doubt even that will make a difference in the fall.

If Obama actually does lose, it's solely because Americans are terminally stupid enough to want a third Bush term after the successes of the last two.

your blanket statement of the mentality of Americans who do not vote for Obama is exactly the same kind of mentality that calls people racist for not voting for him....which is what I am saying will cost him.

like it or not, this is a free country and people have the right to vote how they wish and your self righteous ass should not judge people on how they choose to vote.

noto12ious

Golden Member
Aug 24, 2001
Originally posted by: 0roo0roo
and really, you want to hear obama voters on the street justifying their vote? their man basically advocates hit and run driving. hit someone, swap seats with your mate so you can claim you weren't driving, and just leave. thats his iraq pull out plan. morally vacuous and stupid as anything said by any redneck. and frankly oddly mirroring their so called objections to bush, do without thinking, consequences be damned.

anyways this shoulda been in p&n from the start, peyton is a known rabid anti hilary obama head trying to cause trouble.

lol. so what about getting into iraq? 0roo0roo being the moron. again.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Originally posted by: Wheezer
like it or not, this is a free country and people have the right to vote how they wish and your self righteous ass should not judge people on how they choose to vote.
I have every right to judge people on the decisions they make. People make judgements every day of their lives, in a multitude of situations.

Why are people so afraid of making their opinion heard? Are we raising a generation of soft-headed politically-correct pansies who can't handle confronting a person with an opinion different than their own? Forget the race card, I personally think that anyone choosing McCain this fall (based on the issues) is not voting in the best interest of this country. That's my assessment; I'm sure McCain supporters will tell you the opposite, but at least they'll tell you something.

We have a backward notion in this country that political opinion is best left undiscussed, undisclosed, and shrouded in secrecy.

spittledip

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2005
I've had enough of HOO-sain! hehehehehe, that was so funny. Obviously, what needs to happen is that we seal up those inbreds in the coal mines from whence they first crawled out of. :p

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Loved how the media was talking about Hillary routing in West Virginia and it was her target demographics...

White = we hate black people
Poor = living in a trailer park
Redneck = yeah we really hate them
No college = but some of us have our Good Enough Diplomas

Will be an absolute lark to see she had to cheat to win those voters over Obama

jpeyton

Aug 23, 2003
Originally posted by: spittledip
I've had enough of HOO-sain! hehehehehe, that was so funny.
That was the best part for me too. Her expression is priceless.

mshan

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2004
And as always, with Clinton, you have to read the fine print:

"Clinton said in her victory speech on Tuesday night that no Democrat has won the White House since 1916 without taking West Virginia. True. But they all could have won without it. The margins of victory in those races ranged from 23 to 515 electoral votes. West Virginia has five."

The Appalachian Voting Block is not White America: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05...ref=slogin&oref=slogin

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
and yet, WV still would have saved Gore and Kerry if they could have carried it like Clinton did.

can it really be called a race issue if Clinton can carry it twice and yet Gore couldn't?

mshan

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2004
The Appalachian Voting Block:

"In fact, it hasn't been Democratic country for the last two presidential elections. Only 48 of the counties voted for John Kerry in 2004, down from 66 counties (or 16 percent) that went for Al Gore in 2000. The only states with counties in the region that have consistently voted Democratic in the last four such elections have been New York, Pennsylvania and Maryland."
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05...ref=slogin&oref=slogin

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
In fact, it hasn't been Democratic country for the last two presidential elections.

funny how we lost both of those, huh? ;)

mshan

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2004
Yes, and it is obviously because no Democrat since 1916 has ever won the presidency without winning W. Virginia.*

*conveniently omitted fine print: margin of victory in those races was between 23 and 515 electoral votes; W. Virginia has 5.

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
What's even MORE frightening than blatently racist West Virginians explaining why they won't vote for Obama? That's right, folks right here responding to these threads and debating what the word "racist" means. Not only is it incredibly moronic, it's downright Clintonesque.

"Are you or have you ever been a racist?"

"Well, that depends on how you define nig***."

Oh brother, give me a f'ing break. :roll:

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
Originally posted by: JD50
Originally posted by: Throckmorton

Edit: Oh, I see you're pointing out that I said "no black person". Well no NORMAL black person is bigoted toward Hillary for being white

No NORMAL white person is bigoted toward Obama for being black.

Is West Virginia normal? What was most of those peoples' reason for voting for Hillary?

mshan

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2004
Even if West Virginia had voted for Kerry in 2004, he still wouldn't be president (Wiki says electoral count was 286 to 251, and West Virginia's 5 electoral votes would only have changed that to 281 to 256).

And a lot of people would rightly argue that Al Gore did win in 2000, even without West Virginia!!!

jpeyton

Aug 23, 2003
Originally posted by: loki8481
and yet, WV still would have saved Gore and Kerry if they could have carried it like Clinton did.
Really? If Kerry won WV he would have closed his deficit in the Electoral College?

That's news to me, seeing as how he lost the election by 34 votes, and WV only has 5.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by: jpeyton
Originally posted by: loki8481
Really? If Kerry won WV he would have closed his deficit in the Electoral College?

That's news to me, seeing as how he lost the election by 34 votes, and WV only has 5.

facts... pssh. whatever. :p

jpeyton

Aug 23, 2003
Originally posted by: senseamp
VW may not be decisive, but it is indicative of how poor whites will vote.
How did the poor whites vote in Indiana and North Carolina?