** The Cyberathlete Amateur League Thread **

swtethan

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2005
I was just curious if I knew any of you from CAL. Just post your Handle, Team name, Game, and Division. I will make a list of us forum members.

***The List***

Canai: Handle: Canai Team: Rogue Squadron Game: Counter-Strike:Source Division: Counter-Strike:Source Open

Swtethan: Handle: ccc.HTS.sparkles Team: Coup d'etat (crayola crayons on crack) Game: Counter-Strike:Source Division: Counter-Strike:Source Main

Canai

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2006
I'm on the roster for my clan's CS:S O team, but TF2 came out so I haven't played at all :D

gtsing

Jul 28, 2007
I'm looking for a serious cal team at the moment. Even CAL-O is fine for me (got to start somewhere)...just want a good (for their division), serious team to play regularly with. My xfire is pphenom.

legoman666

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2003
I used to play CAL, but it's too serious for my liking. I love running around on deathmatch CS:S servers with a tmp and just having fun. Didn't have much fun in CAL...

besides, haven't played CS:S since I got TF2.

RandomFool

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2001
www.loofmodnar.com
I used to be cal-m(1.6 and later CS:S) back in the day. Once everyone started playing WoW things kind of fell apart. Eventually I retired (aka stopped playing). I did try playing 1.6 the other day and I am absolutely horrible. I do miss playing with a team though, I can only pub for so long before I get sick of it.

Ika

Lifer
Mar 22, 2006
I'll probably join a CAL team sometime this year. I've played with a CAL-im team a lot and I can compete with them skill-wise. There are also some really great 1.6 players here at my dorm; I'll have to convince them to do Source, but if I can work something out we could get something going.

nycxandy

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
I'm surprised CAL is still going on with CS considering how they lost all the top tier teams to other leagues.

40Hands

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2004
I was until TF2 came out and I just didn't register this season. My clan wasn't too happy but I just didn't want to spend a lot of time practicing...

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
I have no idea how my skill stacks up or whether thats all that relevant. I'm on fucking dialup now its a non starter.

I will say though, that I mostly find clans and the like annoying personally. If its just a bunch of guys that play together and fuck around, thats cool...but a few of my friends had a clan for RtCW that I was in and it just sucked all the fun out of the whole thing. You were expected to play on the clan server which really limits variety. And then they had ranks? And set match times? I can't even be bothered to watch a TV show at a regular time.

I just like to hop on and play for 30 minutes and adding all the rigors of scheduling and ranks and basically homework really makes it more like work then fun.

RandomFool

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2001
www.loofmodnar.com
I joined a few clans that were like that, I usually just ignored the stupid rules and did my own thing. They either dealt with it or kicked me out most of them just dealt with it. Some people take it way to seriously and sap the fun of it. Clan servers are a waste unless you're scrimming a lot or happen to have a ton of people who want to pub together.

I used to enjoy the organization and strategy part of it. I found it much more fun to work as a team and playing with people I knew. The only set time we had to play was the actual match the rest of the time it was based on who was around and wanted to play. Generally we went with the whoever played the most that week plays gets to play in the match. If someone couldn't play we had enough people that someone would be around.

I'd join a TF2 clan if I didn't think they were going to make it completely unfun. TFC had all sort of weird rules with class restrictions, "offense vs offense", and whatnot which will probably make a comeback for TF2. Blah.