The curious case of Fox News

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
So apparently this is heating up again, on the beat has a pretty good segment on it… If you just see this 14min bit and all the crazy disinformation bits you get a headache, then realize that its only a small fragment of what they’re doing and it evolves into a migrane.

Fox IS fifth column activities…

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
It was a good segment and it really highlights the democrats constant need to appear non partisan no matter how crazy the “other side” is. It also highlights non right wing media’s propensity to give equal credence to Republican ideas and figureheads, no matter how anti factual they are.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
It was a good segment and it really highlights the democrats constant need to appear non partisan no matter how crazy the “other side” is. It also highlights non right wing media’s propensity to give equal credence to Republican ideas and figureheads, no matter how anti factual they are.
What do you mean by 'need to appear partisan'. In my opinion calling that a need is charity. I see that need as simple cowardliness, the fear of losing some votes because of offending somebody. I see this as part of liberal brain disease. Those fuckers are selling the country down the river because they fear they won't be re-elected. Fox is a cancer that should be wiped out. There should be a national campaign to call them the seditious traitors they actually are. They do nothing but foment division and hate. None of them should be able to show their faces in public without being egged.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
What do you mean by 'need to appear partisan'. In my opinion calling that a need is charity. I see that need as simple cowardliness, the fear of losing some votes because of offending somebody. I see this as part of liberal brain disease. Those fuckers are selling the country down the river because they fear they won't be re-elected. Fox is a cancer that should be wiped out. There should be a national campaign to call them the seditious traitors they actually are. They do nothing but foment division and hate. None of them should be able to show their faces in public without being egged.

What’s the saying, “people hate what they fear”, or is it, “they fear what they hate”? Either way I think their “cowardice” stems from the fact they don’t ever want to be anything like Fox News or right wing media.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
What’s the saying, “people hate what they fear”, or is it, “they fear what they hate”? Either way I think their “cowardice” stems from the fact they don’t ever want to be anything like Fox News or right wing media.
My
I think is is very similar to that. They don't want to see how much their hate for conservatives is just like conservative hate for them. Hate for the other is based on having been made to feel like the other in the past. That is why nobody wants to be the other. But the problem is that regardless of logic and the obvious fact that conservatives and liberals see things differently logic and reason are meaningless. The real truth of who we believe we are regardless of reality, is what we feel about ourselves. Bad news because we hate ourselves and don't know it. To avoid that realization we project instead and then explain all that we see on logic and whatever rationalizations we can muster. That is how we can be right about everything about the other and still be fucked. We don't see our contempt for others is built on self contempt, despising what we don't know we feel we are.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Fox is a cancer that should be wiped out. There should be a national campaign to call them the seditious traitors they actually are. They do nothing but foment division and hate. None of them should be able to show their faces in public without being egged.

They have the complete endorsement and backing of roughly 40% of our population.
Aggression against right wing media will ferment a more extreme response.

If one does not use kid gloves, a calm and measured appeal to what remains of sanity. Of logic and reason....
If you stake out a position that coexistence is not an option, what have you?

I understand that, as humans, our tether to reason is thin at best. And emotion will drive a lot of things. But that challenge simply means we may already be dead and not know it. An end that cannot be avoided. I just don't think your idea would help us avoid it anymore than trying to maintain and build a broader coalition. I have argued for years our need to appeal to a larger segment, even broaching those who may be victim to their propaganda but not yet lost completely.

Granted, my frail hope hinges on an idea that we ourselves don't go off the rails and appear just as batshit to those stuck in the middle, those waiting for a side to choose. Given how Biden's first year has gone... maybe that ship already sailed. But what else can we do? Turn fascist and end our enemies by force? Becoming evil does not defeat evil. Just makes more of it.

A proper course of action, a solution to this riddle, may be beyond us. For human nature may be an obstacle to thwart any conceivable solution.

Reactions: Lezunto

eikelbijter

Aug 27, 2009
They have the complete endorsement and backing of roughly 40% of our population.

If one does not use kid gloves, a calm and measured appeal to what remains of sanity. Of logic and reason....

I understand that, as humans, our tether to reason is thin at best. And emotion will drive a lot of things. But that challenge simply means we may already be dead and not know it. An end that cannot be avoided. I just don't think your idea would help us avoid it anymore than trying to maintain and build a broader coalition. I have argued for years our need to appeal to a larger segment, even broaching those who may be victim to their propaganda but not yet lost completely.

Granted, my frail hope hinges on an idea that we ourselves don't go off the rails and appear just as batshit to those stuck in the middle, those waiting for a side to choose. Given how Biden's first year has gone... maybe that ship already sailed. But what else can we do? Turn fascist and end our enemies by force? Becoming evil does not defeat evil. Just makes more of it.

A proper course of action, a solution to this riddle, may be beyond us. For human nature may be an obstacle to thwart any conceivable solution.
Patience and forgiveness is the only way out unfortunately, and those are in short supply these days. It's mostly selfishness and name-calling that rule the land, and that road leads to nothing good.

It's a very complicated matter, but propaganda is at the heart of a lot of it, and in my opinion, the celebration of marketing as an art-form is partly to blame. In a country perfectly primed by advertisements, propaganda goes down like hot chocolate. Sports are an important vector, simply because most want to see the game as it goes down, and that way even the people that WANT to rid themselves of ads are almost forced to sit through them because they don't want to miss a second of the match.

One of the most striking examples of how bamboozled a large part of the US population is, was when they asked people what they thought of Obamacare, which most on the right HATED, and the ACA, which after being explained what exactly it was, they were in FAVOR of! Of course they were one and the same, and I know MANY how have greatly benefited from it, and are STILL railing against it.

As long as Steve Jobs is considered a genius and Bill Gates the devil, we are in trouble.

Reactions: dank69

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Propaganda is the key. Everything Biden does or thinks is bad, everything Trump? Good. And it doesn't stop there....
Bill Clinton gets a blow job, Donald Trump pays off whores, but guess which ex president is on the Fox shit list? Guess which ex can do no good, and which can do no harm?

And so.... if anyone is waiting around for Fox to call like it is, and to be fair, well don't hold your breath. And now we're in a new era where everything Fox does, says, or thinks must pass the Trump filters. Fox must always ask, will this offend Trump? Will this anger Trump? Will this make Trump look bad? And, what will Trump do or say about us if we dare say the wrong thing about Trump?

Trump must appear flawless, perfect, infallible, genius, bigger than life itself. Joe Biden, on the other hand, must appear just the opposite.
A lot of what Fox is, especially now, revolves around Donald Trump. Functions like a Donald Trump, and is attached to the brain of Donald Trump. Fox news is nothing more than a 24/7 propaganda outlet for Donald Trump.
However.... the liberal media had better be careful because they tend to copy the playbook of Fox News. Way too often the liberal left media falls onto the Biden bashing bandwagon because all media needs their ratings and the liberal media often believes as Fox news preaches... that Joe Biden can do no good.
I think its time that Fox, CNN, and MSNBC simply go away. We certanilly can not rely on any of them for.... news.

Reactions: Pohemi and hal2kilo

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999

There are two issues in my opinion. The first is that hatred of the other is projected self hate and nobody is going to believe that. This means that we create what we fear. The more we hate the more hate is reflected back. The second issue is that where hate manifests, and it is primary being initiated by the right because democracy is threatening their grip on power, the first thing authoritarians value as a means is the use of force to keep themselves safe from their imaginary fears. This makes them dangerous in reality. Consciousness, self knowledge and real understanding can deal with the issue of hating those who hate us, but the actual danger they present is real and no deep understanding and sympathy for violent people can protect you from them. That requires some sort of physical prevention. It is absurd to think, for example, that locking up the criminally insane will cure them of anything or make them pay for being crazy. But it may need to be done so that the innocent will be safe from their madness. And you don't do something by way of restraint just because a lot of people complain you shouldn't because they fear they might be next. I just don't think liberals have the stomach for it and we will leave it to triggered authoritarian left to reply in kind. It's a democracy so I guess we suffer until a majority can see this or we just start over from the ashes if any are left.

Reactions: Pohemi

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
It is absurd to think, for example, that locking up the criminally insane will cure them of anything or make them pay for being crazy. But it may need to be done so that the innocent will be safe from their madness. And you don't do something by way of restraint just because a lot of people complain you shouldn't because they fear they might be next. I just don't think liberals have the stomach for it and we will leave it to triggered authoritarian left to reply in kind. It's a democracy so I guess we suffer until a majority can see this or we just start over from the ashes if any are left.

Perhaps I misunderstand, but locking up 40% of the population....?
I just don't think force will yield a better result than them burning it down. Or us burning it down. Escalation sounds like it leads to just one place. Like, what avoids this outcome?
A separation is the only thing I can picture as even remotely possible, and maybe less violent. A "let the States decide" policy for a great many more things in our society. Until they just fracture altogether and go their separate ways.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Interestingly enough, Tucker and Fox news remain the highest viewership not just with Republicans, but Democrats as well (according to Nielsen polls)

Surprise! Tucker Carlson Draws the Most Democratic Viewers in Key Demo, Even Topping Rachel Maddow (yahoo.com) [The Wrap}

In October, the most recent month for which data is available, Carlson’s 9 p.m. ET program was the top cable news show among Democrats in the advertiser-coveted age range of 25-54.

More surprising are the stats about Carlson and Fox News’ pull with self-proclaimed Democrats. Of those demo-aged viewers surveyed who identified as Democrats, 39% chose Fox News, 31% chose MSNBC and 30% chose CNN for programming from 8 p.m. ET to 11 p.m. ET. In total-day viewership, Fox News grabbed 42% of Democrats aged 25-54, CNN nabbed 33% and MSNBC got 25%.

Last edited:

himkhan

Jul 13, 2013
Interestingly enough and mentioned here ad nauseam but the vast majority of liberals do NOT watch cable (news or otherwise). I don't know a soul who works all day long and goes home and turns on CNN or MSNBC. I've never seen one of these unicorns or talked to one. Anyone who would spend their precious few minutes every night watching some talking head opine is fucked in the head in my opinion.

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
Watching the news on television is very much a baby boomer thing. Gen X and onward know that they don't need to coordinate their lives around a 30-minute window everyday between 6 and 630 pm in order to stay informed about what's going on in the world.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
I watch ten minutes of Cucker almost every day...good way to keep up on the crazy right.
Can't last for more than I can stand, just to get a gist of his latest BS he's putting out to undermine our democracy. It almost like Murdoch would rather this country be more like Russia. Hasn't fired him yet, has he.

Lezunto

Golden Member
Oct 24, 2020

I agree wholeheartedly.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Fox headlining on Hunter Biden right now

Playing the hand that Putin gave them. Good job.

2022-02-05 20_26_39-2022-02-05 20_23_10-Fox News - Breaking News Updates _ Latest News Headlin...png

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
Watching the news on television is very much a baby boomer thing. Gen X and onward know that they don't need to coordinate their lives around a 30-minute window everyday between 6 and 630 pm in order to stay informed about what's going on in the world.
I'm a card carrying "boomer", and I haven't watched the evening news (or at any other time) in years.

But I also think for myself and don't let others tell me what to think, like the masses of morons that have Faux on 24/7.

Reactions: hal2kilo

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Fox News claims "red states" "doing better" in "post pandemic economy"

They think we are post pandemic. They have no reliable metrics. They also claimed "The Economy" was better under trump again with no reliable metrics. And when they take news from other, reputable sources, they grossly mislead and even flat out lie about what the other source actually said.

Fox News is clearly a propaganda network. And if you didnt believe it before the Jan 6 hearings it should have been obvious after the Jan 6 hearings.

Reactions: Lezunto and HomerJS

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002

They think we are post pandemic. They have no reliable metrics. They also claimed "The Economy" was better under trump again with no reliable metrics. And when they take news from other, reputable sources, they grossly mislead and even flat out lie about what the other source actually said.

Fox News is clearly a propaganda network. And if you didnt believe it before the Jan 6 hearings it should have been obvious after the Jan 6 hearings.
Not if you live in Santa Fe or Uvalde. Fox wants you to forget that

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001

Wow, Josh at WSJ lied by omission and Fox parroted the lie.

But make no mistake it IS a lie by ANY metric..

Worst performing states are ALL solid red states. Best performing states are solid blue states This looks a LOT like the 2020 election map.

qgdpstate0622.png