The Cringe Build A Gaming PC Video That Everyone is Laughing At

Nov 8, 2012
Not sure if you guys keep up with gaming hardware - even I have dropped out and just don't build a computer anywhere near as often as I used to...

But I think most people here can still understand why this video is so retarded and everyone is laughing at it.

I mean just off the top of my head
  • Says he uses an allen wrench to install? Wtf, I've never used an allen wrench to install anything on a computer
  • Says he uses a "swiss army knife that hopefully has a phillips head"... Wtf, you can afford $2,000 in components but you can't afford a $2 screwdriver?
  • Doesn't understand/know what dual channel memory is
  • Clearly doesn't know how to apply thermal paste
  • Says he uses an anti-static wristband - it's actually just a rubber Livestrong bracelet

Nov 8, 2012
Oh Also, Vox is so embarassed by this that they are now trying to hide it all. They deleted the video on YouTube but of course the Streisand affect is in full force... People keep reuploading it.

On top of that, they are trying to hide the criticism and have tried to do DMCA takedowns of the videos that are mocking them like the one above.

Reactions: FeuerFrei

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
Yes, this happened a few months ago and you should've seen the tool defend his video and call people who laughed at it "haters who are jealous their PC isn't as good as mine." IIRC, his PC was a prebuilt though I could be mistaken.

This guy CLEARLY had no business making a video on how to build PCs. In addition to the points you mentioned, remember the rubber pieces on the power supply and how he claimed those were to "keep the power supply from touching the PC case and shorting"? Yeah, because the metal screws which attach the metal power supply to the metal case wouldn't short it....

Last edited:

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
Maybe this is a bit elitist, but this is what happens when technology/gaming/PCs become "cool" and everyone wants to do it. You get stupid videos and guides made by people who have never seen the inside of a computer before.

Triloby

Mar 18, 2016
Yeah, that "video" is old news right now. They should've never released that video with all of that misleading garbage they peddle off as a "PC building guide".

Still don't know why The Verge wants to continue bringing more negative press to their idiocy, but I guess they can't stay away from a good dumpster fire.

Nov 8, 2012
Guess I'm coming on to the scene late - didn't realize it was old news at this point. Honestly though like I said in the OP - I just don't pay attention to computer hardware stuff like I used to. I don't read much for reviews anymore - and I don't watch YouTube channels, etc... I miss my gaming days :(

Either way, they are definitely putting gas to the fire since people like myself are now hearing about it.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
It's like that Doom gameplay video Polygon put out where the player clearly has never played a shooter in their life.

Reactions: DigDog

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Maybe this is a bit elitist, but this is what happens when technology/gaming/PCs become "cool" and everyone wants to do it. You get stupid videos and guides made by people who have never seen the inside of a computer before.
Don't worry, I don't think it became cool and it probably never will.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Yes, this happened a few months ago and you should've seen the tool defend his video and call people who laughed at it "haters who are jealous their PC isn't as good as mine." IIRC, his PC was a prebuilt though I could be mistaken.

This guy CLEARLY had no business making a video on how to build PCs. In addition to the points you mentioned, remember the rubber pieces on the power supply and how he clamed those were to "keep the power supply from touching the PC case and shorting"? Yeah, because the metal screws which attach the metal power supply to the metal case wouldn't short it....

lol. I wasn't aware that it had escalated like that with the dude in the video and Vox.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Wow, even more funny is the fact that the Verge did this article.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/2/11/...e-blackmail-three-strikes-copyright-violation

This isn’t the first time that Youtube’s less-than-perfect copyright system has stabbed creators in the back. The platform’s hands-off approach to moderation has allowed copyright trolls to thrive for years— not only to extort money, but to doxx, slander, or troll. They can also be used to suppress negative news; some companies have served comedians with copyright strikes in an attempt to stifle any videos mocking their brand.

Reactions: Sonikku

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001

This guy CLEARLY had no business making a video on how to build PCs. In addition to the points you mentioned, remember the rubber pieces on the power supply and how he clamed those were to "keep the power supply from touching the PC case and shorting"? Yeah, because the metal screws which attach the metal power supply to the metal case wouldn't short it....
I should make videos on "How to buy a pre-built!" "I'll walk you step by step through the process from getting the hairy eyeball from the guy at the door in the blue and yellow vest to the cow eyed stare of the sales person to the condescending sniffing of the person trying to sell you the service plan; you'll be a pro before you ever step foot in the store." I just need to find out where they get the music for Red Cross CPR and first aid videos.

Reactions: DigDog

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
not enough thermal paste
7G3zITG.png

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
How the hell is it no one has done a parody video where they take a hammer to the screws/eat the paste and all kinds of other shit?

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Reviewers reviewing what they have no idea how to review has become the norm.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
WOW... I watched the reply video, I couldn't stand watching the actual video, it really is THAT BAD. OMFG.

I'm amazed that it even worked when he finished putting it together.

Last edited:

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Didn't the Verge wrote an article about how hard it was to build a gaming computer and you will need $2000+ in order to build one?

Come to think it, I think I did did post making fun of them.

Nov 8, 2012
I'm sorry but this is sad and pathetic. I think I've watched the video making fun of him 10 times and I'm still fucking laughing just as hard and cringing just as hard....

God damn this shit is good.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
I have never used an Allen Wench to build a system in my life. and that video is the first time I had ever heard of anyone actually using a Swiss Army knife in putting together a computer as well.:rolleyes: