The Contender - Final Four!

batmang

Diamond Member
Jul 16, 2003
ok, so i know theres other threads, but their dead. so im starting another.

for those of you who watch the contender, we saw peter and joey fight what i can say, the BEST fight yet. peter barely winning, joey coming out looking like he was attacked by a damn grizzly bear.

this coming sunday jesse and anthony fight and im hoping jesse comes out on top, i'd like to see him in the final four.

we have sergio, alfonzo, and peter in the final four. you guys think jesse will win, or anthony?

who do you guys predict for matchups? who would you like to see match up?

i want to see alfonzo fight peter, it'd be a good revenge fight for peter since he lost to alfonzo at the start of the show.

any other contender fans on at?

Modeps

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
I dont like Jesse OR Anthony... but I prefer Jesse in that fight.

I want Alfonzo to win it all, going up against Peter.

batmang

Diamond Member
Jul 16, 2003
i think sergio will get mauled if he fights jesse or anthony.... its just something about him being skinny that makes me think hes weak against bigger guys. but he totally surprised me when he beat ishe.

ishe is a scarey dood... but sergio outsmarted him big time.

Modeps

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
Before Sergio beat Ishe, I picked Ishe winning it all, but Serg definately said it... he used his brain and Ishe beat himself. Too many of these guys are scrappers and not boxers.

Baked

Lifer
Dec 28, 2004
Damn, I missed so many episodes. Glad to know Peter is still in the game. Peter all the way.

shopbruin

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2000
if anthony's hamstring is still gone, there's almost NO way he can go five rounds. it's torn!

i see jesse winning. my winner is either alfonso or sergio. i don't see jesse pulling it out, and i'm not sure if manfredo has the stamina to go up against these guys - he tires out really easily.

batmang

Diamond Member
Jul 16, 2003
yeah, its prolly the best show ive seen in many years. im so sick of all these stupid reality shows, but this one is the best one ive ever seen, i love to watch boxing, this show really brings out some good entertainment.

baked, ahmed was brought back cause juan wussed out and dropped out of the competition because he had a cut above his eye, and a hurt wrist....so he left, ahmed came back to be knocked back out of the competition by alfonzo. ahmed is a good fighter, but he got rocked big time.

peter lost to alfonzo towards the beggining of the show, but peter was brought back because jeff got chicken pox, lol.

and since then he has won two fights.

batmang

Diamond Member
Jul 16, 2003
Originally posted by: freesia39
if anthony's hamstring is still gone, there's almost NO way he can go five rounds. it's torn!

i see jesse winning. my winner is either alfonso or sergio. i don't see jesse pulling it out, and i'm not sure if manfredo has the stamina to go up against these guys - he tires out really easily.

true, peter gets tired after 2 rounds. cause he goes all out in the first 2, like we saw with joey, he mauled him for 2 rounds, and then he got mauled for 2 rounds, and joey was gimped.

i think sergio and alfonzo will be the final two. and i think sergio may win it all, hes got tons of stamina, and like we saw with ishe, hes a smart fighter. alfonzo packs a strong punch, but i dont think hes got the stamina sergio has, or the smarts.

Modeps

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
It's a shame that the ratings arent better for this show... so we probably wont see another. My wife watches because they get into the family life of the boxers. She was crying a lot after the Joey fight... I felt pretty bad for him too, but at the same time I wanted Peter to win... Torn I was, kind of like that scumbag Anthony's hammy.

Karma is a beyotch.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Nobody likes Anthony to win but he probably throws the heaviest punches out of all of them. He'll need to knock the sh!t out of Jesse early if he's to win because he won't be able to last 5 rounds with that torn hamstring.

batmang

Diamond Member
Jul 16, 2003
i hope there is a second season, this is without a doubt, my favorite show.

SearchMaster

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2002
My wife hates boxing but has gotten into this show.

I have seen the episode where Joey gets his face destroyed, but she has not (it's Tivoed). I fear it will remind her why she hates boxing and she won't watch the rest of the series.

mk52

Aug 8, 2000
Is it me or are none of these guys really that good?? It could be the camera angles and the way they cut it but most of the fights consist of mindless power punching until one fighter is too tired. I mean nobody uses his jab??? Peter's father was yelling throughout the whole fight USE YOUR JAB!!!

Also how did kids like Juan get into this competition, when they act like 5 year olds in the ring, the guy was jumping around as if his ass was on fire.
None of these guys seem like they could last a full 12 round fight?

Modeps

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
MelikK: Keep in mind that they dont show the entire fight and jabs do not make for "cool cinematics". They want what's best for TV, and that is money shots like hard uppercuts or cross body blows. They show roughly 1 min of each 3 minute round, cut up to make it more dramatic... including slow-mo and reusing footage (close shot of a nice hit, zoom out to see it again)

Modeps

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
Also, pacing for a 5 round fight is completely different than that of a 12 round bout. In a 5 round fight, you go all out immediately. In 12, you've gotta dance more, hug more, and pick your shots so you dont prematurely tire out.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
I like Alfonso too, the kid is just plain old fashion tough and busy in the ring!

pacing for a 5 round fight is completely different than that of a 12 round bout. In a 5 round fight, you go all out immediately. In 12, you've gotta dance more, hug more, and pick your shots so you dont prematurely tire out.
Yep. Except when you know for a fact you can sh!tcan the chump sooner ;)

I hate "reality TV" but this show sucked me in.

Originally posted by: Red Dawn
Nobody likes Anthony to win but he probably throws the heaviest punches out of all of them. He'll need to knock the sh!t out of Jesse early if he's to win because he won't be able to last 5 rounds with that torn hamstring.
He is toast IMO, hammy or not. He shows poor D and Alfonso would hit him 3 for every one. Jesse should be able to win on points just by exploiting the lack of mobility.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001

Peter can't beat Alfonso and he knows it. that's why he set him up with pretty boy, trying to get him out of there! Problem is, Alfonso ain't goin' no where :cool: I think he has the hand speed, combos, and just enough chin to do it. Sergio is definitely the thinking man's fighter though, hard not to like him.

shopbruin

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2000
Originally posted by: SearchMaster

I have seen the episode where Joey gets his face destroyed, but she has not (it's Tivoed). I fear it will remind her why she hates boxing and she won't watch the rest of the series.

just fast forward past the cut and get to the end of the show. *tear*

merlocka

Platinum Member
Nov 24, 1999

I may be giving *way* too much credit here... but what if Anthony is pulling another fast one? Wouldn't be a bad idea to fake an injury. <Terry Tate> It's mind games </Terry Tate>

Modeps

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
Originally posted by: merlocka

I may be giving *way* too much credit here... but what if Anthony is pulling another fast one? Wouldn't be a bad idea to fake an injury. <Terry Tate> It's mind games </Terry Tate>

He was examined by a doctor and told that his hammy was torn.

SearchMaster

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2002
Originally posted by: SearchMaster

just fast forward past the cut and get to the end of the show. *tear*
Yeah, but the end of the show is just as bad as the fight itself, with Joey's eyes all swollen shut and looking so bad.

Modeps

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
Joey was great. I don't think he had an agenda by giving Peter the car at all, he just didnt need it like Peter did. He was a good guy definately and I felt so terrible when he got beat up so bad. The dude definatley had a heart bigger than his chin... fighting through a broken rib? Ow. You could see the rib when he was walking out at the end.

SearchMaster

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2002
Joey was definitely my favorite...I'm sad that he's gone. Ishe was about the only unlikeable one of the latter bunch (well, maybe Ahmad but he was a much needed character).

SearchMaster

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2002
And one more thing - I think Anthony got the bum rap on the whole changing his opponent thing. It sounded like the others set his opponent up without his agreement, which is not really what it is supposed to be about, not to mention it makes the challenges worthless...of course he went overboard with the "I'm going to kick his butt" comments all week but I'm still kind of rooting for him.