The consensus best PS3 emulator for PC?

dmoney1980

Platinum Member
Jan 17, 2008
Looking for guidance on the best / most stable ps3 emulator on the PC. I'm mainly looking to emulate MLB The Show ant not much else.

Any guidance is appreciated!

Borealis7

Platinum Member
Oct 19, 2006
as far as i know, PS3 (and the original Xbox) has not been successfully emulated on the PC as of yet.
PS3 is very different than the PS2 which has been emulated for many years. there are some "emulators" that can display a loading screen and possibly a menu, MAYBE play one stable game. but other than that, anyone claiming to emulate PS3 on the PC is lying.

local

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2011
PS3 had a completely wonky system setup compared to the way a PC works. I believe it will be possible some day but it will have to be a brute force solution and we just don't have that much processing power yet. Even then it will most likely be a very limited list of titles that work correctly. Even PS2 emulation has only started working mostly correct in the last few years. But all that is a moot point if they keep making remastered/HD versions of every game worth playing.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
There isn't one, and the amount of raw horsepower required to run such a thing on a PC would be a far greater cost than just picking up a used ps3 anyway.

Reactions: Oyeve

JeffMD

Platinum Member
Feb 15, 2002
I love the assumption there is a "best" ps3 emulator when there isn't even one ps3 emulator.

these systems use 3ghz processors, there is no emulating them for quite some time. I think for this generation and future generation emulation we are better off modifying the game code to work on modern systems, with only the odd call needing emulation here and there.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
even if there was a functioning emulator you would need a cluster of powerful PC's to run it.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I love the assumption there is a "best" ps3 emulator when there isn't even one ps3 emulator.

these systems use 3ghz processors, there is no emulating them for quite some time. I think for this generation and future generation emulation we are better off modifying the game code to work on modern systems, with only the odd call needing emulation here and there.

Except that those CPUs did horrible performance compared to Intel processors. For instance, the CPU's could perform approx 231 GFlops single precision , and just over 15 GFlops double precision. To put that into perspective an Intel i7 5960 could do just over 350 GFlops in DOUBLE PRECISION (over 23x the performance).

Blitzvogel

Platinum Member
Oct 17, 2010
Except that those CPUs did horrible performance compared to Intel processors. For instance, the CPU's could perform approx 231 GFlops single precision , and just over 15 GFlops double precision. To put that into perspective an Intel i7 5960 could do just over 350 GFlops in DOUBLE PRECISION (over 23x the performance).

You're talking a massive difference in time of release. Both the Cell and Xenon (PS3 & Xbox 360 respectively) were all about GFLOPS and vector performance, a thing necessary to take games into what was then nextgen. While their general IPC vs something like an Athlon 64 x2 wasn't that great, in terms of crunching numbers and being cheap enough for gaming consoles, they were pretty damn good at it, programming issues aside. Core 2 Quads certainly gave PCs a CPU necessary for driving games well beyond the consoles, but at $600+ just for the CPU alone in late 2006.

IGemini

Platinum Member
Nov 5, 2010

There's one emulator I know of in development that is starting to get a handful of playable games...mostly simpler 2D stuff. Last I checked it just did homebrew. Development is young, but saying a PS3 emulator doesn't exist just isn't true.

But emulating MLB? Forget it. Won't happen anytime soon.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001

That's nice, but 99% of the code that needs to be emulated is integer or single-precision not double, so the i7 cores are only 1.5 times as fast for real word use.

The PS2 was 6.2 GFlops and it takes a decent PC to emulate it well. The PS3 is 37 times as hard by the GFlops metric.