The company you work for owns your brain.

Danman

Lifer
Nov 9, 1999
COOL! :p

rolleye.gif

n0cmonkey

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2001
Originally posted by: SWirth86
He shouldnt have told anyone about his idea.

Even if he didnt tell them, and went out and patented it, they probably would have continued with the same stunt.

SWirth86

Golden Member
Aug 31, 2001
Originally posted by: n0cmonkey
Originally posted by: SWirth86
He shouldnt have told anyone about his idea.
Even if he didnt tell them, and went out and patented it, they probably would have continued with the same stunt.
Yes, they would. What I meant to say is that if he had waited until he was gone from the company, he could have expressed his idea then, claiming that he had thought of it after he left the company. He would have had to quit or get laid off, because if he did anything w/ the idea while he worked with them, they are entitled to it's proceeds (which is extremely stupid......)

dirtboy

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
That means I will soon be fired for sexual harassment, because when I see a hot co-worker, I can't help thinking about them!! :D:Q:frown:

mithrandir2001

Diamond Member
May 1, 2001
When I worked for IBM I remember having to sign some doc that said if I came up with an invention - even if the discovery process occurred during off hours - IBM was entitled to the invention/idea. Since I was an intern, I didn't care, but that's a bunch of sh!t if you ask me. Pay me for 24 hours then.

gopunk

Lifer
Jul 7, 2001
i thought this has been previously established...

i always thought it was sucky, personally. i guess if you really want to do research (and benefit from it), you should do it with an educational institution, not a corporation.

n0cmonkey

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2001
Originally posted by: gopunk

i always thought it was sucky, personally. i guess if you really want to do research (and benefit from it), you should do it with an educational institution, not a corporation.

I had never heard of a company that sued a former employee over this.

no0b

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2001
Couldnt the guy just lie and say hes only really been pondering the idea and hasnt done anywork on it. Then give them alittle of his ponder.

gopunk

Lifer
Jul 7, 2001

i was just referring to the fact that a company can claim ownership of a discovery or invention if you are working for it... i don't necessarily agree with this ruling, especially since it looks like this idea was completely unrelated to his work at that company.

n0cmonkey

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2001

i was just referring to the fact that a company can claim ownership of a discovery or invention if you are working for it... i don't necessarily agree with this ruling, especially since it looks like this idea was completely unrelated to his work at that company.

I understand, just stating the reason I thought this was worth posting.