The company is having issues with old wifi barcode scanners...

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
So, the company I work for just switched CRM software companies. We are a fairly large textile company and have thousands of rolls of fabric in a 30000 square foot warehouse. I set up 5 TPLink AC1750 access points, gave them all different IPs and channels. I disabled 5ghz as the old scanner we bought only work in the 2.4 range. We have a real solid wifi connection on all things wifi except for the scanners. They are motorola 9090 which uses an old (they are all old I guess) version of windows CE (5 or 6 I believe). Anyway, they suck. Lose connection while 2 feet away from an AP. I tweaked the APs as much as I can.

So, basically, I need to know if there is a barcode reading device we can use that does VT220 emulation. The CRM software is on a windows 2012 server and I just need some barcode device, wireless, that maintains a constant connection.

HutchinsonJC

Apr 15, 2007
A curiosity, but can you force certain wireless modes on the access points? Say for example forcing Wireless G as the highest mode allowed? Normally it'd all auto-negotiate, but I wonder how things play out if you force the mode.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
A generic barcode scanner only generate keyboard strokes when it scans a barcode, why does it have to have VT220 terminal emulation?

How did Moto 9090 communicate with your old / new CRM system? Does it run a VT220 emulator on its Windows Mobile CE OS that communicate back to the system?

If that's the case, then maybe what you need is an Android based (which will have good WiFi capability) barcode scanner which can scan barcode and run VT220 APPs.

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Part of me says, that you should have considered, getting some LinkSys WRT54GL routers, and putting DD-WRT on them, and using those. (If the wifi bar code scanners are really that old, then 'G' should be right up their alley, rather than go for an all-singing / all-dancing AC rouiter, of which it generally either treats 2.4Ghz like a second-class citizen, often using internal smaller antennas, or has so many vendor-specific optional extensions to the 'N' 2.4Ghz standard, that they are on shaky compatibility with older devices with wifi chips from a different vendor.)

And part of me agrees with @mxnerd , consider upgrading to some newer Android-based scanners. Can you use cell-phones and some apps to do this? Or do they make Android-based true laser bar-code scanners, or make cell-phones with scanner lasers in them?

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Several budget.Android based barcode scanners:

https://www.amazon.com/Archer-Enterprise-Handheld-Wireless-Barcode/dp/B078W4K44M/

https://www.amazon.com/Handheld-Computers-Terminal-Motorola-Qualcomm/dp/B00Y9RL4DW

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0756C3ZN3/ref=sspa_dk_detail_1?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B0756C3ZN3

https://www.scansku.com/android-barcode-scanner/

Better ask vendors to find out if their devices can emulate VT220 or run normal Android APPs, some vendors probably will lock their devices so they only run their own proprietary APPs.

Zebra MC3300 is more powerful / rugged and more expensive

https://www.zebra.com/us/en/products/mobile-computers/handheld/mc3300.html

Last edited:

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
A generic barcode scanner only generate keyboard strokes when it scans a barcode, why does it have to have VT220 terminal emulation?

How did Moto 9090 communicate with your old / new CRM system? Does it run a VT220 emulator on its Windows Mobile CE OS that communicate back to the system?

If that's the case, then maybe what you need is an Android based (which will have good WiFi capability) barcode scanner which can scan barcode and run VT220 APPs.
It connects to the crm server and utilizes vt220 emu. We didnt barcode scanning with our old crm system.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
As long as the new scanner you buy has something like this "output the barcode into the focused edit box" capability, then it should be fine.

I believe most scanners will have this capability.

Just make sure you can return the item if it doesn't work for you.

Try to get scanner's PDF manual if you can so you don't waste your time.

61E993DwZYL._SL1400_.jpg

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
As long as the new scanner you buy has something like this "output the barcode into the focused edit box" capability, then it should be fine.

I believe most scanners will have this capability.

Just make sure you can return the item if it doesn't work for you.

Try to get scanner's PDF manual if you can so you don't waste your time.

61E993DwZYL._SL1400_.jpg
The vt220 mode has specific fields that scan into the server. Anyway, I ordered a ubiquity long range pOE ceiling mount ap and will try those.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
The vt220 mode has specific fields that scan into the server. Anyway, I ordered a ubiquity long range pOE ceiling mount ap and will try those.

I don't believe the new Ubiquiti AP can solve your problem. You need new scanners.

Or, like VL said, you need to put multiple old 802.11g router APs around the warehouse.

Newer WiFi APs are designed for new WiFi devices, not old ones.

And what would you do with those TPLink APs?

Last edited:

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
I don't believe the new Ubiquiti AP can solve your problem. You need new scanners.

Or, like VL said, you need to put multiple old 802.11g router APs around the warehouse.

Newer WiFi APs are designed for new WiFi devices, not old ones.

And what would you do with those TPLink APs?
Mayhaps, but the ubquity aps will let me cut down on how many aps I have and are POE so i can put them in areas where I have no power sockets. If they don't solve the problem or at least help then I will look into newer hand sets. The company is really kinda pissed (not at me) because they were told by the software idiots that the 9090 scanners were what we needed and they spent 1500 on each. So, getting the ubiquity will cut down on some aps scattered all over the place and I can redeploy at other locations for regular wifi needs. I personally still have 4 old linksys WRT54GL NIB that I have been hoarding for years. I'll try those if I need to.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Wow, the software company ask your company to buy product that's discontinued last year?

If your company don't want to replace new bought Moto 9090 scanners and nothing else works,

I have a cute idea.

Buy one of the following battery powered travel routers, inventory taking people take it with them,

put it in their pants' pocket or in a pocket belt, use these as WiFi bridge to warehouse APs

and then the scanners just connect to these travel routers in very short range.

It probably can solve the issue. :)

https://www.amazon.com/RAVPower-Wireless-Portable-Companion-Streamer/dp/B016ZWS9ZE

https://www.amazon.com/HooToo-Wireless-10400mAh-External-Performance/dp/B074LHG47K

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Any reason why you cannot go android camera barcode app to rest api that talk to crm?
So cheap android phone with scanner app, sends info to middle tier which can also be rest api then send info to crm.

How old a crm are we talking about? I know you just got it.

Two way comm can be done of course as well.

Last edited:

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Smartphone's barcode scanner using rear camera is only suitable for close-up scanning.

In a warehouse you need longer distance laser scanner if you want to scan something on the very top of shelves.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Smartphone's barcode scanner using rear camera is only suitable for close-up scanning.

In a warehouse you need longer distance laser scanner if you want to scan something on the very top of shelves.

Good point.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
FYI, the Ubiquity APs have resolved the issue fantastically. Got 6 of them for 99 each and have set up 3 and the scanners are working perfectly.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
FYI, the Ubiquity APs have resolved the issue fantastically. Got 6 of them for 99 each and have set up 3 and the scanners are working perfectly.

Wonder what went wrong with those TP-LInk APs.

So do you put TP-Link APs on the table and install Ubiquity APs on the ceiling?

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Wonder what went wrong with those TP-LInk APs.

So do you put TP-Link APs on the table and install Ubiquity APs on the ceiling?
The Ubiquitys were ceiling mounted. The TP links I have tried both ways. Even with a TPlink literally 15ft away and in direct view, the scanners would drop. Odd thing is the TPs cost more than the Ubiquity. Now I have like 7 TP link APs. I could redistribute as another network at the other locations.

Reactions: mxnerd