The coming economic disaster.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
I really don't get it. We have a current economy that is built on borrowed money (the deficit). We have an admittedly overheated housing market. Yet despite these enormous stimulants to the economy real income is not rising. More people are losing health insurance, more pensions are being lost, more good jobs are leaving than are being created. These are facts. They are not in dispute.
We are facing a huge future deficit in how to pay for retirement, how to pay for the Medicare and Medicare health benefit. We are facing an increasing amount of jobs being outsourced. A possiblilty of peak oil being reached soon.
Yet people try and say everythings fine. When I keep up my standard of living by using a credit card I admit I am in trouble. When I have expenses coming due and don't have a clue as to how to pay for it, I admit I am in trouble. When I see my job can be done more cheaply somewhere else I know my job is in trouble.
Did I.Q.'s drop a 100 points in this country in the last 5 years? How can anyone say things are fine?

May 16, 2000
FREEDOM!

AMERICA!

9/11!

AXIS OF EVIL!

There ya go, all explained perfectly for you...I'm sure you feel much better now.

EatSpam

Diamond Member
May 1, 2005
Your problem is that you don't have faith. Pray to Jebus, George W. Bush, and the Gods of Big Business, and you'll be filled with the same optimism as the 51%. Of course, when the crash comes, it won't be any more pleasant, but at least you won't be talking down our great economy like a stinkin' librul.

bdude

Golden Member
Feb 9, 2004
Originally posted by: techs
I really don't get it. We have a current economy that is built on borrowed money (the deficit). We have an admittedly overheated housing market. Yet despite these enormous stimulants to the economy real income is not rising. More people are losing health insurance, more pensions are being lost, more good jobs are leaving than are being created. These are facts. They are not in dispute.
We are facing a huge future deficit in how to pay for retirement, how to pay for the Medicare and Medicare health benefit. We are facing an increasing amount of jobs being outsourced. A possiblilty of peak oil being reached soon.
Yet people try and say everythings fine. When I keep up my standard of living by using a credit card I admit I am in trouble. When I have expenses coming due and don't have a clue as to how to pay for it, I admit I am in trouble. When I see my job can be done more cheaply somewhere else I know my job is in trouble.
Did I.Q.'s drop a 100 points in this country in the last 5 years? How can anyone say things are fine?

A lot of speculation in this post, but some truth as well.

The deficit: Will always be huge, but until another superpower emerges, which I don't see happening anytime soon, no real reason to worry about it. Even then, the deficit is mostly debt between different governing organizations vs. international holders.

Housing bubble: True, a housing bubble does exist, but even if it does pop, it is high time for some readjustment. People will suffer, but that always happens when a bubble pops.

Std of living: Meh, always on a steady rise.

Health care: I'm for nationalization, but it isn't a huge deal because only the poor really suffer. And honestly, the poor have little political clout that would make much of a difference anyway.

Jobs moving: Jobs always move.

Peak oil: Speculation.

IQ: Bunk.

May 16, 2000
Originally posted by: bdude
Originally posted by: techs

A lot of speculation in this post, but some truth as well.

The deficit: Will always be huge, but until another superpower emerges, which I don't see happening anytime soon, no real reason to worry about it. Even then, the deficit is mostly debt between different governing organizations vs. international holders.

Housing bubble: True, a housing bubble does exist, but even if it does pop, it is high time for some readjustment. People will suffer, but that always happens when a bubble pops.

Std of living: Meh, always on a steady rise.

Health care: I'm for nationalization, but it isn't a huge deal because only the poor really suffer. And honestly, the poor have little political clout that would make much of a difference anyway.

Jobs moving: Jobs always move.

Peak oil: Speculation.

IQ: Bunk.

Actually that IQ site is almost 100% totally wrong.

The Stanford Binet derives the IQ as a measure of chronological versus developmental (judged by acquired learning norms) age. It is only one of a number of methods of IQ testing, and is actually about the least backed today. Different experiments into the field have evolved numerous other tests, with different scoring mechanisms and different areas tested.

While a number of people whine consistantly about IQ, there is no valid current scientific argument against it's theoretical existence, only in the various implementations of testing procedure and methodology.

While The Bell Curve certainly had a number of errors, that doesn't revoke two-thousand years of field research.

Just FYI, carry on.

EatSpam

Diamond Member
May 1, 2005
Originally posted by: Pabster
Gloom And Doom ... Repeat After Me ... Gloom And Doom!

America, Fvck Yeah! ... Repeat After Me ... America, Fvck Yeah!

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
Originally posted by: EatSpam
Your problem is that you don't have faith. Pray to Jebus, George W. Bush, and the Gods of Big Business, and you'll be filled with the same optimism as the 51%. Of course, when the crash comes, it won't be any more pleasant, but at least you won't be talking down our great economy like a stinkin' librul.
I almost hate to do this to you, EatSpam: :thumbsup:

ntdz

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2004
I don't agree an economic disaster is coming. Change your topic summary please.

ShadesOfGrey

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2005
Originally posted by: ntdz
I don't agree an economic disaster is coming. Change your topic summary please.

Respected Economists don't agree with his summary either.:laugh:

It's pretty much the doom and gloomers who think economic disaster is coming.

cwjerome

Diamond Member
Sep 30, 2004
Economic disaster... EVERYONE agrees its coming :roll:

So why to people insist it's fine?

I thought you just said EVERYONE agrees it's coming :roll: :roll:

(seems like everyone needs their armageddon, not just the religious folks...)

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Pessimism seals fates, just as optimism does, however, the two are usually different fates. ;)

imported_Condor

Diamond Member
Sep 22, 2004
Everyone agreed it was coming in 1979. A doomsday economist advised everyone to load the basement with used appliances to sell after the crash.

misle

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
Originally posted by: cwjerome
Economic disaster... EVERYONE agrees its coming :roll:

So why to people insist it's fine?

I thought you just said EVERYONE agrees it's coming :roll: :roll:

(seems like everyone needs their armageddon, not just the religious folks...)

Everyone? Really? That's odd, I don't agree that it's coming.

Edit: *tap* *tap* I hope my sarcasm meter isn't disabled by the P&N zone.

getbush

Golden Member
Jan 19, 2001
How does that one quote go and who said it? Something like, leading economists have predicted 11 of the last 5 recessions, and 7 of the last 2 depressions.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
I find it kind of funny some on the left are finally starting to wakeup to the pending SS and Medicare disasters that Bush wanted to try and fix about 10 months ago.

We are facing a huge future deficit in how to pay for retirement, how to pay for the Medicare and Medicare health benefit.

Bush wanted to try and fix SS but democrats would have no participation in it. Both of these problems I agree will bankrupt our country. The question is do we want to fix them before the implosion or after?

arsbanned

Banned
Dec 12, 2003
Bush's "fixes", funneling more money to his crooked cronies and loading more burden on the poor are simply not acceptable.

OneOfTheseDays

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2000
well maybe if Bush didn't spend like a drunken sailor or take us into Iraq, we'd be a lot better off. i swear genx your such a partisan hack, blaming the Dems for the huge deficits we have. they are directly a result of Bush's and the Rep. party's out of control spending and the war in Iraq.

zendari

Banned
May 27, 2005
Maybe if Democrats would reform SS and scrap medicare we wouldnt be looking at $70 trillion in future liabilities.

EatSpam

Diamond Member
May 1, 2005
Originally posted by: zendari
Maybe if Democrats would reform SS and scrap medicare we wouldnt be looking at $70 trillion in future liabilities.

You really hate old people don't you? Did your Grandparents not properly spoil you?

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001

Uh...or how about the Republicans do it?

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: Rainsford

Well maybe if the democrats would not demonized every plan or idea thrown out to reform SS it might happen. IT seems no matter what reform was suggest the only response from the democrats was were trying to bankrupt SS and make old folks eat dog food.

EatSpam

Diamond Member
May 1, 2005
Originally posted by: charrison
Originally posted by: Rainsford

Well maybe if the democrats would not demonized every plan or idea thrown out to reform SS it might happen. IT seems no matter what reform was suggest the only response from the democrats was were trying to bankrupt SS and make old folks eat dog food.

I think Bush's SS plan failed all by itself. It was polling more miserably than he is now.