The Chinese Lunar Calendar and the animals. debate

mettleh3d

May 6, 2005
I was explaining to my friend today about the Lunar Calendar and why Mickey Mouse is the entrepreneurial king of business being the mascot of such a multi-billion dollar consumer industry. The rat won the race (the 'ol legend of the river race) because he hitched a ride on the Cow's nose and hopped to the finish line right when the cow was gonna win. Each successive finisher was the next animal for "year of the ____."

Anyway, we deviate and he asks, "well, how the hell did the dragon lose? What kinda dragon was it anyway? Was it just chilling? He can FLY and burn all the other contenders. What in the world was he doing? also, I didn't know chickens could swim. On top of that it beat the dog/pig."

I said, "hmm."

The order is:
1. rat
2. ox
3. tiger
4. hare
5. dragon
6. snake
7. horse
8. sheep
9. monkey
10. chicken
11. dog
12. pig

thoughts?

mettleh3d

May 6, 2005
whether or not he was right in asking what he asked.

the dragon lost to conventional, normal, organic animals?

Baked

Lifer
Dec 28, 2004
I know your mom's a cow and your dad's a rat 'cause he always come first.

Mo0o

Lifer
Jul 31, 2001
Originally posted by: mettleh3d

Maybe he overslept and woke up late.

Anonemous

Diamond Member
May 19, 2003
Originally posted by: Mo0o

naw that was the Cat. :D

goodoptics

Platinum Member
Aug 18, 2000
I was explaining to my friend today about the Lunar Calendar and why Mickey Mouse is the entrepreneurial king of business being the mascot of such a multi-billion dollar consumer industry. The rat won the race (the 'ol legend of the river race) because he hitched a ride on the Cow's nose and hopped to the finish line right when the cow was gonna win. Each successive finisher was the next animal for "year of the ____."

Anyway, we deviate and he asks, "well, how the hell did the dragon lose? What kinda dragon was it anyway? Was it just chilling? He can FLY and burn all the other contenders. What in the world was he doing? also, I didn't know chickens could swim. On top of that it beat the dog/pig."

I said, "hmm."

The order is:
1. rat
2. ox
3. dog
4. hare
5. dragon
6. snake
7. horse
8. sheep
9. monkey
10. chicken
11. dog
12. pig

thoughts?

:confused:

Mo0o

Lifer
Jul 31, 2001
Originally posted by: Anonemous
Originally posted by: Mo0o

naw that was the Cat. :D

Lol i thought he didn't wake up at all since the sneaky rat decided not to wake him up.

CuJoX

Jul 2, 2005
perhaps the dragon had a big lead and decided to take a nap, only to wake up and see 4 animals passing the finish line before he did.

Sheepathon

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2003
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_calendar#Twelve_animals

edit: some more googling
Twelve animals were assigned to each of the 12 years when, according to legend, the Lord Buddha summoned all the animals to come to him before he departed from Earth. Only twelve animals came to bid him farewell. As a reward he named a year after each one in the order that it arrived. First came the Rat, then the Ox, the Tiger, Rabbit, Dragon, Snake, Horse, Sheep, Monkey, Rooster, Dog and Pig. Thus, we have the twelve animal signs of today.

mettleh3d

May 6, 2005
Originally posted by: Sheepathon
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_calendar#Twelve_animals

edit: some more googling
Twelve animals were assigned to each of the 12 years when, according to legend, the Lord Buddha summoned all the animals to come to him before he departed from Earth. Only twelve animals came to bid him farewell. As a reward he named a year after each one in the order that it arrived. First came the Rat, then the Ox, the Tiger, Rabbit, Dragon, Snake, Horse, Sheep, Monkey, Rooster, Dog and Pig. Thus, we have the twelve animal signs of today.

No. I like mine better. Races are more fun.

Pepsei

Lifer
Dec 14, 2001
i remember the story of the race too, and yes, the cat didn't get up in time because the rat didn't wake up the cat.... hence they become mortal enemies.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
ancient people had access to hallucinogenic drugs. i'm sure 5000 years ago chinese had natural herbs that did suchsh*t. and they certainly had access to marijuana

Tiamat

Lifer
Nov 25, 2003
Originally posted by: 0roo0roo
ancient people had access to hallucinogenic drugs. i'm sure 5000 years ago chinese had natural herbs that did suchsh*t. and they certainly had access to marijuana

I think they mostly had opium. I could be wrong tho...

dfi

Golden Member
Apr 20, 2001
Originally posted by: Pepsei
i remember the story of the race too, and yes, the cat didn't get up in time because the rat didn't wake up the cat.... hence they become mortal enemies.

I thought the cat was on the ox with the rat, and the rat pushed the cat into the water. Thus, why cats hate rats, and why cats hate water.

To the OP, I seem to recall that the dragon was simply late.