The cause of death was "acute intoxication by the combined effects of oxycodone, hydrocodone, diazepam, temazepam, alpra

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I'm sure its the sleeping pills that really did him in.

The other stuff just sounds like a good time. :D

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: yovonbishop
I think whoever prescribed all of those to him is partly responsible. Obviously people tend to think their doctor is right and if in a deep depression and having trouble sleeping, might not think about what mixing the drugs might do (kill him, for example). It's sad.

celebs get all the good shit...

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Originally posted by: moshquerade
he was having trouble sleeping, and he put himself out for good. :(

i don't think it was intentional either. he probably didn't think about the possible implications.

Well especially when you don't feel good to begin with, your brain isn't working right. If you're sick and you can't sleep, plus you're stressed out from your job, the medication starts adding up like it did in this case.

I'll miss him, I liked his acting. He was great in A Knight's Tale
rose.gif

T9D

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2001
Damn that is a nasty cocktail.

The thing is you build up a huge tolerance to everything. And not being able to sleep you get desperate and crazy.

manowar821

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2007
God dammit, and my little brother was just prescribed sleeping/depression pills for his insomnia. They made him puke 10 times, and knocked him out for 15 hours. Yeah, he stopped taking them pretty quick.

:(

I don't like some American doctors (drug-peddlers).

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001
Originally posted by: yovonbishop
I think whoever prescribed all of those to him is partly responsible. Obviously people tend to think their doctor is right and if in a deep depression and having trouble sleeping, might not think about what mixing the drugs might do (kill him, for example). It's sad.

Only if a single doctor prescribed all that. Celebrities are very good at getting prescriptions from multiple doctors in multiple locations and unless they fully inform each doctor what they have already been prescribed the doctors have no way of knowing.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Originally posted by: Kaido
I'll miss him, I liked his acting. He was great in A Knight's Tale
rose.gif

Well... go see The Dark Knight when it comes out :).

Justinus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2005
Originally posted by: Anubis
Originally posted by: Citrix
oxycodone??? wow docs just give that out candy dont they.

yea im curious to why he had them, if it was a valid Px WTF was it for, i asked my dad once who happens to be a Doc why it was given out for and his responce was "almost nothing" and that i was mainily used in house and you had to be in some serious bad shape to be given a Px for it

I got a prescription for Oxycodone once, when I went to the ER with a kidney stone. The nurse gave me two different prescriptions... The mild painkiller I was supposed to take, and the Oxycodone. I still don't remember what she said about why she gave it to me... I was wasted on morphine.

jandrews

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2007
I have never posted in anything about heath ledger and this will be my only post. At least he had a good choice in prescription drugs.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
That falls somewhere between "accident" and "suicide". He was a junkie, it's that simple. The fact that he abusing prescription drugs doesn't make him any different than people who are killing themselves with crack or heroin.

jandrews

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2007
Originally posted by: GagHalfrunt
That falls somewhere between "accident" and "suicide". He was a junkie, it's that simple. The fact that he abusing prescription drugs doesn't make him any different than people who are killing themselves with crack or heroin.

Sure it does, prescription drug junkies are usually functioning addicts that still contribute to society and work. Heroin junkies are typically just scraping for the next high, some important differences!

lokiju

Lifer
May 29, 2003
I do recall when this fist happened that there were bottles of prescriptions from other countries even.

So he was getting advice from a Dr. in one country and being given drugs, which probably weren't factored into what was given from the other doctor in the other country.

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001

..oxy-c all by it's self is dangerous goof. How/why did he have it?? It's a severe pain med. was he recovering from an accident or surgery??

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Originally posted by: XabanakFanatik
Originally posted by: Anubis

yea im curious to why he had them, if it was a valid Px WTF was it for, i asked my dad once who happens to be a Doc why it was given out for and his responce was "almost nothing" and that i was mainily used in house and you had to be in some serious bad shape to be given a Px for it

I got a prescription for Oxycodone once, when I went to the ER with a kidney stone. The nurse gave me two different prescriptions... The mild painkiller I was supposed to take, and the Oxycodone. I still don't remember what she said about why she gave it to me... I was wasted on morphine.

I take oxycodone for my back. It doesn't really give me a 'high' feeling, sometimes makes me feel tired, that's about it anymore. When I used to take hydrocodone that made me feel really happy.

aplefka

Lifer
Feb 29, 2004
Man a lot of you guys are idiots.

I highly doubt it was that he took all those pills to abuse them, seeing as they were all legitimate subscriptions. It was a known fact he was sick at the time and given several different drugs to get over it fast.

Unbelievable that people can kick a man not only when he's down but when he's dead too.

meltdown75

Lifer
Nov 17, 2004
Originally posted by: aplefka

I highly doubt it was that he took all those pills to abuse them, seeing as they were all legitimate subscriptions. It was a known fact he was sick at the time and given several different drugs to get over it fast.

Unbelievable that people can kick a man not only when he's down but when he's dead too.
You highly doubt it... but you don't know. Your speculation is equally clueless, so slow your roll.

Jmman

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 1999
My wife has a bottle full of oxcodone in the cabinet. Can't even remember what it was for........

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Originally posted by: aplefka

Sick at the time?

No offense, but my doctor doesn't prescribe me:

Vicodin
Valium
Xanax
Restoril
Oxycodone
and OTC Sleep meds

for common illnesses.

I'm not saying he offed himself, but I'm saying at the very least he was very irresponsible with his medication. When you start mixing those types of medications, you have to be very, very careful.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Originally posted by: clamum
Sounds like a good buzz (sans the sleeping pills).

That was my first thought upon reading the OP's title.

Sure, it's possible to have all those drugs prescribed, but they most likely weren't meant to be taken all at one time...nor possibly in the doses he took them in.
When I had my knee surgery, the doc gave me oxycontin, norco (vicodan) valium, and ambien. I'm allergic to the vicodan, but the surgeon, knowing more than me, said "No one is allergic to hydrocodone. Just take it as prescribed." The day after my surgery, my wife drug me into his office...covered in hives and starting into anaphalactic shock. (I had already taken Benadryl to counter the effects.) He looked at me and said,"huh...I'll be dammed. I guess you ARE allergic to hydrocodone." <slap!>
He told me to continue taking it, but to take it with Benadryl. As soon as I could stand it, I discontinued ALL my pain meds. I think I still have 2 large bottles of the Oxy left, and 2-3 large bottles of the vicodan. The valium has mysteriously "evaporated"...:D (does help me sleep sometimes)
My pain management doc is always offering me pain meds for the back. I explain that I'm going to school full time, and that I'm stupid enough naturally, I don't need any chemical help... :laugh:

sygyzy

Lifer
Oct 21, 2000
I like the guy and respect him and all but his parents are really pulling out all the stops here to assure his name is not tarnished. They are totally spinning this like it could happen to anyone and he was so innocent in taking all those drugs.