The Card that Killed the Dragon

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Tempered81

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2007
Originally posted by: lavaheadache
what was the point of this statement? How can you even remotely prove this? Why am I even concerned by this? Does this

ROFL

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Computer Ed
I don't quite follow you here...what is it that you are trying to say/imply?

That AMD instructed the reviewers to use Intel rigs and intentionally told them to avoid using AMD rigs as their benchmark platform for HD5870/5850 reviews?

Implying is a strong word, I am opening a dorr for discussion because this is very odd behavior. I mean you have AMD preaching a mantgra for so long of platform and then a bunch of sites, all with access to the AMD platform review two different AMD video cards and not ONE decides to even add the platform as part of the review? Your telling me that does not seem strange to you?

Computer Ed, I think the answer to your quandary might actually have been uncovered/documented by Gary Key in the i5 / P55 Lab Update article, specifically the segment discussing the following data and observations:

Your eyes are not deceiving you. After 100+ clean OS installs, countless video card, motherboard, memory and driver combinations, we have results that are not only repeatable, but appear to be valid. We also tracked in-game performance with FRAPS and had similar results. Put simply, unless we have something odd going on with driver optimizations, a BIOS bug, or a glitch in the OS, our NV cards perform better on the AMD platform than they do on the Intel platform. The pattern reverses itself when we utilize the AMD video cards.

It is items like this that make you lose hair and delay articles. Neither of which I can afford to have happen. However, we have several suppliers assisting us with the problem (if it is a problem) and hope to have an answer shortly. These results also repeat themselves in other games like H.A.W.X. and Left 4 Dead but not in Crysis Warhead or Dawn of War II. So, besides the gaming situation, we also see a similar pattern in AutoCad 2010 and other 3D rendering applications where GPU acceleration is utilized, it is just not as pronounced.

http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=3639&p=3

(emphasis added)

edit: So it will be interesting to see whether or not Fermi-based GPU reviews are done on AMD platforms.