The brits are in for a rough ride

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
I didn’t!
I'm a bit insulated from some of the crap, my wife gets her work mostly from the EU and a lot of our bank accounts and investments are in the EU. I work for the NHS so I've got job security. Still it's a shit show that didn't need to happen and has pretty much no definite upside.

You need to put this shit show squarely on the Champions Of Brexit, Nigel and all the other fuckheads, cause if you dont they just gonna point to the next scapegoat... and the next and the next and the next.
Then eventually rejoin :).

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
I didn’t!
I'm a bit insulated from some of the crap, my wife gets her work mostly from the EU and a lot of our bank accounts and investments are in the EU. I work for the NHS so I've got job security. Still it's a shit show that didn't need to happen and has pretty much no definite upside.

So are you going on a strike once the mourning is over or are you waiting for your new nepalese colleagues?

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Great time to remind everyone that leaving the EU was an idea that Russia had, and instilled into the populace through agitprop and psyops.
Great idea that we created a society so psychologically ignorant as to be unable to distinguish real needs fraudulent claims about how sleeping on a Mr pillow will cause you to have nocturnal emissions. A world full of intelligent people would bankrupt most businesses. Can’t have that. Fascists still like nice things.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I remember laughing when the first Brexit vote happened. People said they voted for it to make some kind of point...but when it actually passed, they were pissed off.

Be careful for what you ask...you just might get it.

Reactions: Zorba and Captante

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
I remember laughing when the first Brexit vote happened. People said they voted for it to make some kind of point...but when it actually passed, they were pissed off.

The people voted, the measure passed, that's how democracy works. It proves the one serious flaw in the democratic process, a million stupid people don't make better decisions than one stupid person.

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
I'm a ward nurse in a big acute hospital. I can't really go on strike, granny needs people looking after her!
I'm fully in support of a general strike right now though.
Yeah, looks like you're in for a new Winther of discontent.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011

This reminds me of when my parents voted for UKIP as "a protest vote". I explained to them that what they really achieved was telling the tory party that they need to be more like UKIP.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Well on the plus side the disaster that is Brexit has killed off any other leave campaigns across the bloc. Always good to have a relevant cautionary example people can see with their own eyes.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Well on the plus side the disaster that is Brexit has killed off any other leave campaigns across the bloc. Always good to have a relevant cautionary example people can see with their own eyes.
They are gonna figure someone else to blame for "shit" though... probably brown people.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
We've decided things are not bad enough yet, so the entire country is now going to shut down this Monday due to a very elderly lady dying of old age.

Clearly hospital waiting lists are not long enough so the medical appointments people have been waiting months for will now be cancelled and have to be rescheduled for several months time (probably ensuring a number of less-wealthy elderly ladies will die - presumably this outcome is supposed to be some sort of tribute, like the way servants used to be walled-up in the tombs of their dead masters in ancient times).

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
We've decided things are not bad enough yet, so the entire country is now going to shut down this Monday due to a very elderly lady dying of old age.

Clearly hospital waiting lists are not long enough so the medical appointments people have been waiting months for will now be cancelled and have to be rescheduled for several months time (probably ensuring a number of less-wealthy elderly ladies will die - presumably this outcome is supposed to be some sort of tribute, like the way servants used to be walled-up in the tombs of their dead masters in ancient times).

UK monarchy brings in half billion pound in tourism income per year.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
UK monarchy brings in half billion pound in tourism income per year.

I'm skeptical of that statistic. I don't think France has any trouble attracting tourists. I remember being quite intrigued to see the spot where Marie Antoinette's bodyguards were hacked to death by the Parisian mob.

The bigger problem is that they _own_ so much of the country. That they get excused the inheritance tax that affects people who own fairly normal flats and houses means that problem is likely to continue.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005

I don't get why the funeral wasn't a day earlier on a Sunday.
No need for a surprise bank holiday then, and no need to shut the country down.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
So did Jones Town, should the suicides be allowed to continue?

Sins of the British Monarchy is much greater than Johnstown. But we are talking about QEII's demise and day of mourning. Until the UK people decide to get rid of the Royals through referendum and modify their government, there isn't much that can be done.