The Bounce: Obama's Gallup approval jumps nearly 10% in one week

Ryan

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
On the front page of Gallup.com - Obama's approval jumps from a low of 43% last week, to 52% today. Keep in mind this poll isn't even factoring in his speech. It's a three day rolling average of Sept 4th-6th. Chances are, and we will see the rating continue to spike over the next few days. The last time the president enjoyed this high of a rating was the summer of 2011.

Here's the comparison between the figures on Sept 2nd vs today:
gallup.gif

Most pollsters have already stated that Romney got little to no bounce from his VP pick and the convention..

What does no bounce show about to the Romney candidacy? Is he running an ineffective campaign? Does this show that voters are still more than willing to give BO a chance?

Last edited:

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Wow, that's almost as high as president Bush's approval at the same time in his presidency.

YAY! Above 50% for the first time in over two years! YAY!

conehead433

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2002
He should quit spending any of his campaign collections and stuff it in his pockets, and the pockets of his cronies. In other words he should stick to what he's good at.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
You cannot deny the man can give a good speech... that is his gift. It is also fortunate that his supporters don't care about the reality of the situation but prefer the feeling of well being they get from his speeches.

diesbudt

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2012
And let us not forget the DNC just ended. I mean that had no impact on it right?

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003
You cannot deny the man can give a good speech... that is his gift. It is also fortunate that his supporters don't care about the reality of the situation but prefer the feeling of well being they get from his speeches.

That feeling of well-being you describe is no different than the false hope in Romney/Ryan and their ability to right the wrongs.

Ryan

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
And let us not forget the DNC just ended. I mean that had no impact on it right?

Yes - this poll isn't even factoring in his speech. It's a three day rolling average of Sept 4th-6th. Chances are, and we will see the rating continue to spike over the next few days.

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009
Looks like people might be remembering why they liked him in the first place.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Yes - this poll isn't even factoring in his speech. It's a three day rolling average of Sept 4th-6th. Chances are, and we will see the rating continue to spike over the next few days.

I'm seeing +3, not +10. I'm also seeing a 52%, not 53% approval rating.

Fern

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
Peggy Noonan labeled it a "dead cat bounce", but pep rally cheer squads can gush about their fav!

Sorry, I should have included her piece.

http://online.wsj.com/article/declarations.html

Was it a good convention?

Beneath the funny hats, the sweet-faced delegates, the handsome speakers and the babies waving flags there was something disquieting. All three days were marked by a kind of soft, distracted extremism. It was unshowy and unobnoxious but also unsettling.

There was the relentless emphasis on Government as Community, as the thing that gives us spirit and makes us whole. But government isn't what you love if you're American, America is what you love. Government is what you have, need and hire. Its most essential duties—especially when it is bankrupt—involve defending rights and safety, not imposing views and values. We already have values. Democrats and Republicans don't see all this the same way, and that's fine—that's what national politics is, the working out of this dispute in one direction or another every few years. But the Democrats convened in Charlotte seemed more extreme on the point, more accepting of the idea of government as the center of national life, than ever, at least to me.

The fight over including a single mention of God in the platform—that was extreme. The original removal of the single mention by the platform committee—extreme. The huge "No!" vote on restoring the mention of God, and including the administration's own stand on Jerusalem—that wasn't liberal, it was extreme. Comparing the Republicans to Nazis—extreme. The almost complete absence of a call to help education by facing down the powers that throw our least defended children under the school bus—this was extreme, not mainstream.

The sheer strangeness of all the talk about abortion, abortion, contraception, contraception. I am old enough to know a wedge issue when I see one, but I've never seen a great party build its entire public persona around one. Big speeches from the heads of Planned Parenthood and NARAL, HHS Secretary and abortion enthusiast Kathleen Sebelius and, of course, Sandra Fluke.

"Republicans shut me out of a hearing on contraception," Ms. Fluke said. But why would anyone have included a Georgetown law student who never worked her way onto the national stage until she was plucked, by the left, as a personable victim?
What a fabulously confident and ingenuous-seeming political narcissist Ms. Fluke is. She really does think—and her party apparently thinks—that in a spending crisis with trillions in debt and many in need, in a nation in existential doubt as to its standing and purpose, in a time when parents struggle to buy the good sneakers for the kids so they're not embarrassed at school . . . that in that nation the great issue of the day, and the appropriate focus of our concern, is making other people pay for her birth-control pills. That's not a stand, it's a non sequitur. She is not, as Rush Limbaugh oafishly, bullyingly said, a slut. She is a ninny, a narcissist and a fool.

And she was one of the great faces of the party in Charlotte. That is extreme. Childish, too.

So: was it a good convention? We'll know by the polls, by the famous bounce, or lack of it. A guess? Dead-cat bounce. Just like the Republicans got.

Last edited:

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Peggy Noonan labeled it a "dead cat bounce", but pep rally cheer squads can gush about their fav!

Sorry, I should have included her piece.

http://online.wsj.com/article/declarations.html

What an excellent piece, thanks for the link to the article. Time will tell if the bounce sticks or not. With the media on board (hey, unemployment went down to 8.1%, hooray for the great leader!) they have a better chance of fooling the people just long enough to have another go at wrecking the country, we'll know in 60 days.

Nov 30, 2006

Here's what I'm seeing the past 10 years. The baby boomers have been supporting their grown children and their aged parents. They are stressed, stretched and largely uncomplaining, because they know that as boomers—shallow, selfish—they're the only generation not allowed to complain. And just as well, as complaints are the only area of national life where we have a surplus. But they are spiritually and financially holding the country together, and they're coming to terms with the fact that it's going to be that way for a good long time. They're going to take a keen interest in where Medicaid goes.

Romney-Ryan take note: this will arrive as an issue.

^ This.

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
There is a hell of a long time between now and voting day for people to reflect on everything.

woolfe9999

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
Clearly Obama got some bounce from the convention, but I have a feeling this poll is probably an outlier.

OneOfTheseDays

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2000
Romney as NO chance. I keep telling you guys, Clinton really sealed the deal for him. He brought the electorate back home to BO and it's not going back now. Certainly not for a guy like Romney who's not even likable to begin with.

This is simple politics guys. The only way the GOP can win at this point is with massive election fraud on a scale we've never seen.

Todd33

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 2003
I think this election is going to be very close and will swing based on the debates.

Romney has a fighting chance.

The worst thing for Romney is to be in the same room speaking with Obama. Things are going to get worse for team Mittens once the public sees more of the president and less of the boogeyman the right has presented.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
Romney's base isn't even excited. You could see that from the lukewarm response at the RNC convention. He's toast.

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
The worst thing for Romney is to be in the same room speaking with Obama. Things are going to get worse for team Mittens once the public sees more of the president and less of the boogeyman the right has presented.

No shit... Romney is going to wish that chair was empty!!!!

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
Romney's base isn't even excited. You could see that from the lukewarm response at the RNC convention. He's toast.

As Republicans we don't have to gush about our candidates as if we were teenagers and they were our first crushes . It's only you Democrats that have to pretend you're still in high school at a pep rally and act like a Tiger Beat fan club. It's an election folks, they're politicians.

nextJin

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2009
Romney is going to have to Crush Obama during the debates with some pretty hard hitting stuff to do anything. Even with 8% unemployment Romney is to goddamn unlikable and makes most Americans just want to slap the shit out of a baby.