The booming money laundering business due to legalized marijuana

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Yeah. There's a difference between trying to control behavior and trying to protect the public from potentially dangerous substances. That's the job of the regulatory bodies...make sure what people are buying is safe and knowing that it's not going to kill people. Substance education is a huge deal, but all they ever taught me in school was to just say no. :D

Arguably the least effective and most harmful public health campaign in history.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I think the last time I saw any bud from Mexico was back in the 80s.

It was all over central IL through the early oughts at least. Probably because we were on the route to Chicago.

Even mid grade homegrown commanded a decent premium because there were few options. Premium product still doesn't reliably reach there from what I've heard.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Whats the law on just growing your own? That stuff is ridiculously easy to grow (Yeah, Yeah, queue lots of overly obsessives dicking about whats the exact best way to grow the stuff) so why not grow some on the window sill if its legal?

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Whats the law on just growing your own? That stuff is ridiculously easy to grow (Yeah, Yeah, queue lots of overly obsessives dicking about whats the exact best way to grow the stuff) so why not grow some on the window sill if its legal?
Because the govt needs a cut. Same reason they limit distilling spirits. At least they let us ferment beer and wine.

Nov 8, 2012
So is it illegal to grow your own in places that its legal to buy it?
That's weird!

Not surprising in the least. People that want to produce the market don't want individuals interfering.

At least with alcohol it takes a lot more than just putting a plant in a pot - so that's probably why it's such a big deal for pot growers.

• Haha
Reactions: ch33zw1z

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Not surprising in the least. People that want to produce the market don't want individuals interfering.

At least with alcohol it takes a lot more than just putting a plant in a pot - so that's probably why it's such a big deal for pot growers.
Firstly is it true that its illegal to grow your own? I'd quite like that clarified first.

If it is thats bloody mental. Whats the official justification for that? And how does the law work?

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Firstly is it true that its illegal to grow your own? I'd quite like that clarified first.

If it is thats bloody mental. Whats the official justification for that? And how does the law work?
Most states that have legalized also allow you to grow for personal use.

Reactions: WelshBloke

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Most states that have legalized also allow you to grow for personal use.
Yep, I don't know about other states, but it is legal to grow up to 4 plants for personal use in Oregon.

Entirely on topic, if you're buying/selling/refinancing a home, do not have any such plants visible when the appraiser inspects the house. If the appraiser mentions the plants in their report, or if they're in any of the photos, the mortgage lender will likely decline the financing due to current federal banking laws. Which, as mentioned previously, could easily be changed.

iRONic

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2006

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
So is it illegal to grow your own in places that its legal to buy it?
That's weird!

It isn't, afaik. There are restrictions on how many plants you can maintain, however, depending on your purpose and the version of legality that MJ occupies in that state (medical, decriminalized, personal, whatever).

No different that booze, really, which has always been limited by volume/year to how much you can brew or distill for personal use.

not surprised about a thing that isn't real? not surprising. ...as long as it confirms the hilarious things that you absolutely must believe, it always must be true!

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
I love how it takes marijuana industry for folks on the left to see the folly of too much government regulation lol.

One of your dumber posts. Legalization is not equal to regulation. There should definitely be regulations on medical and recreational MJ industries.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
BTW, it isn't just marijuana, the US banking system give the federal government veto power over practically anything. I'm not a fan of cryptocurrency, but I'm very sympathetic to the effort to create some kind of an end-around. You think when the SCOTUS overturns Row, it will actually be up to the states to decide? Just wait until abortion providers aren't allowed to use fucking banks.

The government and the nationally chartered banks are methodically removing any ability for people to conduct private business anymore. This is done ostensibly to prevent funding of terrorism and human trafficking, but it's really just to control people.
That's a stretch.

The federal government -- Congress -- passes laws or statutes. Charter statutes enable formation of cabinet agencies. Cabinet agencies always have an "Office of General Counsel" which reads the law enabling program expenditures with clear goals and missions, to apply the most reasonable interpretation. The Office of General Counsel drafts regulations, not necessarily restrictions on citizens, which define what the agencies must do and in some ways how they should do it. Political appointees either approve or promote by themselves organization or re-organization plans consistent with the charter statute and all other relevant statutes, and the agencies are then staffed by their individual personnel office under OPM guidance -- other "regulations". Jobs with specific non-political education and skill requirements are posted.

Used to be that I could taste the air in So Cal faster than I could breathe it, like sour milk. Used to be that a metal-plating company -- small business -- could dump their hexavalent chromium and other incarnations into the groundwater. Used to be that people got cancer and kids died.

Not now. Maybe after the Asshole gets a second term. Then -- we'll all be assholes, won't we?

Non-enforcement, as was done during Obama, is a band-aid. They need to remove Cannabis from the schedule of substances that defines them as illegal. And again -- there would be changes and reform of everything from banking laws and regulations relevant to FDA or USDA (or other).

The "Line in the Sand" between Progressives and Reactionaries will contest the limits of what can be done in the day-to-day management of those agencies. The intent of Congress under the Constitution and their production of laws and changes to laws, their committee oversight and other responsibilities, should not be subverted by short-circuiting Congress and introducing termites, parasites and cannibals into the agencies to damage them, harm morale or otherwise obstruct the ongoing implementation of the decisions by Congress and therefore the People.

You want to eliminate the EPA? Get Congress to eliminate the EPA! But I have digressed from our topics of Sativa, Indica, CBD, hashish, BC Bud and other substances made legal by states. Even the states are still feeling their way toward better defining other regulatory factors that make recreational sale and use viable and acceptable.

Personally, I should've more boldly entered that industry when it was infant, maybe 15 or 20 years ago. But I would've been equally focused on retaining legal counsel in addition to hiring people for security, if I wanted to survive in my business. So why not just grow it for personal use among the tomatoes in my garden?

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Well, despite the various obstructions to zoning cannabis dispensaries by local governments in California, we've come a long way. There was a time in my young life when you wouldn't know when, where or from whom you might obtain your next dime bag.

During my responsible "career life", I wouldn't look for pot -- it would just find me maybe once a year. Without shame, I admit that I would never turn down the opportunity to take a toke off a good doobie or blunt. "Just say 'no'"? Hell no!

Now, my freezer is stocked up with leaf/bud, vaping cartridges and "chocolate" to such a degree that I can be fairly certain I won't have to purchase any for the next six or eight months . . .

Many mornings, I wake up feeling arthritic, old and f***ed up. Getting a hit off the old bong makes things much better for the rest of the day . . .

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
That's a stretch.

The federal government -- Congress -- passes laws or statutes. Charter statutes enable formation of cabinet agencies. Cabinet agencies always have an "Office of General Counsel" which reads the law enabling program expenditures with clear goals and missions, to apply the most reasonable interpretation. The Office of General Counsel drafts regulations, not necessarily restrictions on citizens, which define what the agencies must do and in some ways how they should do it. Political appointees either approve or promote by themselves organization or re-organization plans consistent with the charter statute and all other relevant statutes, and the agencies are then staffed by their individual personnel office under OPM guidance -- other "regulations". Jobs with specific non-political education and skill requirements are posted.

Used to be that I could taste the air in So Cal faster than I could breathe it, like sour milk. Used to be that a metal-plating company -- small business -- could dump their hexavalent chromium and other incarnations into the groundwater. Used to be that people got cancer and kids died.

Not now. Maybe after the Asshole gets a second term. Then -- we'll all be assholes, won't we?

Non-enforcement, as was done during Obama, is a band-aid. They need to remove Cannabis from the schedule of substances that defines them as illegal. And again -- there would be changes and reform of everything from banking laws and regulations relevant to FDA or USDA (or other).

The "Line in the Sand" between Progressives and Reactionaries will contest the limits of what can be done in the day-to-day management of those agencies. The intent of Congress under the Constitution and their production of laws and changes to laws, their committee oversight and other responsibilities, should not be subverted by short-circuiting Congress and introducing termites, parasites and cannibals into the agencies to damage them, harm morale or otherwise obstruct the ongoing implementation of the decisions by Congress and therefore the People.

You want to eliminate the EPA? Get Congress to eliminate the EPA! But I have digressed from our topics of Sativa, Indica, CBD, hashish, BC Bud and other substances made legal by states. Even the states are still feeling their way toward better defining other regulatory factors that make recreational sale and use viable and acceptable.

Personally, I should've more boldly entered that industry when it was infant, maybe 15 or 20 years ago. But I would've been equally focused on retaining legal counsel in addition to hiring people for security, if I wanted to survive in my business. So why not just grow it for personal use among the tomatoes in my garden?

im not sure what the point of this exercise is, are you trying to give me a civics lesson?

as best as I can interpret your indulgent prose, your point is that Cannabis should be legalized at the federal level. Of course it should be. Legalization efforts at the state level are the result of an inability to achieve that.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
im not sure what the point of this exercise is, are you trying to give me a civics lesson?

as best as I can interpret your indulgent prose, your point is that Cannabis should be legalized at the federal level. Of course it should be. Legalization efforts at the state level are the result of an inability to achieve that.
States are still wrestling with how to regulate the market. The symptoms of the shortcomings show in the continued black-market activity, which legalization was meant to eliminate. The problems with banking and the security risk to handling large amounts of cash can only be resolved by federal legalization.

I have the impression that opposition to changing the federal cannabis law comes mostly from the Right and the GOP, and I think Jeff Sessions had vocalized his intentions in this regard.

I'm impatient when I see people whining about "gov'mint regulation". For every statute passed by Congress, regulations are written, and if I'm not mistaken --- published in the Federal Register and then the Government Printing Office as CFRs -- Code of Federal Regulation NN and identifying the subject area. So there is volume of federal procurement regulations, for instance. The vast body of regulations aren't written to restrict or restrain business or individuals. They are instead a blueprint for executing the law on a routine basis.

So I'm sorry that I have to bang my drum and get up on my soapbox. But it's because I see that the whiners -- looking for more to complain about -- don't know shit to begin with.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Imagine believing that prohibition is smaller govt than legalization and regulation.

I think we know why that poster rages so much, mentally holding conflicting ideals at the same time causes mental duress, anxiety, and comes out as anger

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
States are still wrestling with how to regulate the market. The symptoms of the shortcomings show in the continued black-market activity, which legalization was meant to eliminate. The problems with banking and the security risk to handling large amounts of cash can only be resolved by federal legalization.

I have the impression that opposition to changing the federal cannabis law comes mostly from the Right and the GOP, and I think Jeff Sessions had vocalized his intentions in this regard.

I'm impatient when I see people whining about "gov'mint regulation". For every statute passed by Congress, regulations are written, and if I'm not mistaken --- published in the Federal Register and then the Government Printing Office as CFRs -- Code of Federal Regulation NN and identifying the subject area. So there is volume of federal procurement regulations, for instance. The vast body of regulations aren't written to restrict or restrain business or individuals. They are instead a blueprint for executing the law on a routine basis.

So I'm sorry that I have to bang my drum and get up on my soapbox. But it's because I see that the whiners -- looking for more to complain about -- don't know shit to begin with.

i have the impression that the Right and the GOP give cover to corrupt democrats that have no interest in going against the wishes of the lobbyists whose industries profit immensely from the drug war. my post was not critical of regulation because of bureaucratic concerns, the specific banking regulations I’m referring to essentially prevent people from conducting business in private. It’s not just cannabis, this impacts sex workers who are imperiled when they have to operate as a cash business. If you can’t tell the difference between what I’m talking about and procurement regulations theres probably not much you can contribute to this thread.