The booming money laundering business due to legalized marijuana

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Nov 8, 2012
I love how it takes marijuana industry for folks on the left to see the folly of too much government regulation lol.

Nov 8, 2012
Tell me more, oh omniscient one.
Don't you have some more bills to pass that are 2300+ pages?

I'm sure they definitely solve more problems then they create ;)

No but seriously, you see the problem with marijuana regulation. Why not with anything else?

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
was reading about Canadian legalization, the producers are having trouble finding people willing to work for them because they will only pay barely above min wage, meanwhile the black market has no problem finding enough people willing to do the job for what they pay ($25/h) all the while the black market prices are lower.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
blackangst thinks the problem with this is legalized weed. lol.
You see, RWNJs are very very concerned about govt regulation and the loss of basic rights and freedoms, which is why they actively support stupid draconian govt laws, such as outlawing a freaking plant, that lead to people being branded as felons, imprisoned, and losing their voting and gun rights for life.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
was reading about Canadian legalization, the producers are having trouble finding people willing to work for them because they will only pay barely above min wage, meanwhile the black market has no problem finding enough people willing to do the job for what they pay ($25/h) all the while the black market prices are lower.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Yes, California, in typical fashion, is the one state that has managed to fuck up legislation.
Come on up to Oregon, where the black market has completely disappeared, and legal weed is cheaper, even after taxes, than when I was in high school 30 years ago (no pun intended).

Nov 8, 2012

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Can you cite that? You're saying marijuana producers in Mexico are paying all of their cartel members $25+?

Including the people and farmers that they exploit - Not just the people that exploit.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I love how it takes marijuana industry for folks on the left to see the folly of too much government regulation lol.

nope.

why don't you address the fact that in many examples, the massive increase in legal supply has seen prices crater across the board, and thus already undercutting non-legal sources regardless of "burdensome regulation," as you define it on your own terms?

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Interesting. So your illegal marijuana is all local? Not distributed North from Latin America?

Man, I haven't seen a gram of Mexican brick weed since the 90s. I'd be astonished if Canada had any. ...not that it isn't here, but our own local, quality supply has been so diverse, for so long, there's such little need for that stuff.

I think the Mexican cartels have primarily switched to meth, anyway.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
Interesting. So your illegal marijuana is all local? Not distributed North from Latin America?
nope, there's always been a very healthy local black market, lots of indoor grows as well. BC used to export quite a bit to the US, now we export it all over the world, local grow operation just sold a bunch of product to Australia

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
You can always tell who is anti-pot because they rush to make threads like this.
I'm not anti-pot, but any substance that alters your state of thinking/being the way drugs do is complicated. For example...with alcohol, it comes in nice, packaged cans/bottles and can be consumed a glass at a time with relatively consistent results.

Pot can be like alcohol....you can take a hit and chill or smoke too much and be pretty useless. My concern is that if it becomes socially acceptable and legal, how do you make it easy for the general public know how to limit their use of it to make it safe. One challenge in CO is that a lot of the edibles take 30+ minutes for people to feel their effects. It's caused a lot of dangerous overdoses....of marijuana.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
We need this thread title changed for accuracy. The OP's title is deliberately misleading. Legalization isn't the reason for money laundering, federal law preventing legal marijuana businesses from accessing the banking system is.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
I'm not anti-pot, but any substance that alters your state of thinking/being the way drugs do is complicated. For example...with alcohol, it comes in nice, packaged cans/bottles and can be consumed a glass at a time with relatively consistent results.

Pot can be like alcohol....you can take a hit and chill or smoke too much and be pretty useless. My concern is that if it becomes socially acceptable and legal, how do you make it easy for the general public know how to limit their use of it to make it safe. One challenge in CO is that a lot of the edibles take 30+ minutes for people to feel their effects. It's caused a lot of dangerous overdoses....of marijuana.
The difference between overdosing on alcohol and overdosing on marijuana is that, if you overdose on alcohol, you die.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
The difference overdosing on alcohol and overdosing on marijuana is that, if you overdose on alcohol, you die.

well, assuming you don't jump out of a window or stab a baby in the face after succumbing to reefer madness!

Reactions: Vic

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
The difference overdosing on alcohol and overdosing on marijuana is that, if you overdose on alcohol, you die.
I was only using edible ODs as an example of how the use of the new products has resulted in a need for more regulation or public awareness of how to properly use the stuff.

Yeah...overdosing on alcohol or water for that matter takes more effort than eating a pan of brownies. :cool:

I'm not judgy about pot. I'm just saying people are generally dumb and will find a way to hurt themselves, thus there needs to be some kind of consistency.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009

Seems like the best you can do with any substance is education, coupled with sensible regulation only when necessary. After that, trying to control everyone's behavior qualifies as government overreach IMO.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Seems like the best you can do with any substance is education, coupled with sensible regulation only when necessary. After that, trying to control everyone's behavior qualifies as government overreach IMO.
Yeah. There's a difference between trying to control behavior and trying to protect the public from potentially dangerous substances. That's the job of the regulatory bodies...make sure what people are buying is safe and knowing that it's not going to kill people. Substance education is a huge deal, but all they ever taught me in school was to just say no. :D

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Yes, California, in typical fashion, is the one state that has managed to fuck up legislation.
Come on up to Oregon, where the black market has completely disappeared, and legal weed is cheaper, even after taxes, than when I was in high school 30 years ago (no pun intended).
Heck you can even grow your own. Not is Washington.

Nov 25, 2013

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yep, still buying black market myself as legal is overpriced, not enough stores, and, to be honest, not as good quality (and that's in Vancouver). Instead I go online and place my order and it's usually in my mailbox the next day. Great quality, far cheaper, and very convenient. Eventually the governments will get it right but until then...

Reactions: KMFJD