THE board

KBTuning

Mar 22, 2005
So, what is the "bees knees" for both the Phenom II and the Core i7 stuff right now? i havent seen any stuff about PII stuff but i keep seeing X58 for i7, specifically for the Classified series from eVGA, i fell into that trap with my 780i when it first came out...

I'm a big fan of Gigabyte and I've never been done wrong by Asus so i'm hoping they are on top of the game still... aim me in the right direction!

faxon

Platinum Member
May 23, 2008
the X58 from evga is the easiest sell right now on the salesman side of things. it's a solid board backed by an excellent support staff and community forums, it performs well in overclocking, and it does crossfire and SLI if that's your thing (which according to your sig it is). only downside is it only takes 12gb vs the classifieds 24gb capacity (using 4GB DIMMs). alternatively, most of the boards in the $250 range are pretty competitive, but if you're looking for an OCing king for a stupid crazy setup it's pretty much classified or bust now lol

ed: if you go the phenom 2 route, look at anandtech's latest mobo reviews. there's still some tricks and teasers with certain cpus, mobo bios updates needed, ect, that you might want to take a look at before purchasing on that side of things. specifically with the 955, and making sure you dont buy a DDR3 board with the PH2 920 or 940 since they are DDR2 only.

KBTuning

Mar 22, 2005
thanks for the heads up on the 920/940 statement, i've been reading about how the processor does all of the memory controlling now so if its not pinned for each specific type of memory then it wont work and i didnt know that the 920/940 was like that, i would have been PISSSED when it didnt boot because i wouldnt have realized that.

I'm not looking for stupid crazy OC king setups but im deff gonna make me some megahurtzes :p

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Gigabyte and evga are both very good. also, I think the evga board will take 24 GB, according to a forum post on evga, its just not officially supported. I have a UD5 from gigabyte, very happy with it. my dad got the evga board(not classified) it is also a nice one. P6T is also supposed to be popular and solid.