The Biggest Secret of the FPS Pro's & BF3 Recoil Control Tips

MajorBrass

Aug 21, 2012
www.youtube.com
With an avarage K/D ratio of 2.78, I am often getting accused of hacking. So, I thought I would make a video to share some tips and help others improve their game. I share the tips within the context of BF3 but they apply to any FPS game.

I do not claim to be the best or all that great but I do know that before applying the tips in the video myself, I was happy to end CSS and BF2 rounds with an even or slightly positve k/d.

Anyway, I reveal the number one thing most FPS Pro's do to give themselve an advantage. It is also the biggest thing you can do you can do to get better at any FPS Game and give yourself an edge.

Eliminating mouse accell is important too and I will be making a comprehensive video on how to do that in the near future.

I hope you enjoy the video and please let me know what you think.

http://youtu.be/KN5DRmHPVNM

PrincessFrosty

Platinum Member
Feb 13, 2008
www.frostyhacks.blogspot.com
Ahem, the "secret" of low sensitivity and large mouse pads is great for long range pin point accuracy that you need in realistic shooters where movement is slow and clunky and people fight at long distances with tiny head boxes and mostly bullet based weapons.

But different FPS games benefit from different styles, I always used high sensitivity in arena shooters like Quake and UT because speed mattered more than accuracy when firing rockets or flak.

Ahh, those were the days :)

MajorBrass

Aug 21, 2012
www.youtube.com
Ahem, the "secret" of low sensitivity and large mouse pads is great for long range pin point accuracy that you need in realistic shooters where movement is slow and clunky and people fight at long distances with tiny head boxes and mostly bullet based weapons.

But different FPS games benefit from different styles, I always used high sensitivity in arena shooters like Quake and UT because speed mattered more than accuracy when firing rockets or flak.

Ahh, those were the days :)

I had not thought of that but I see your point. It does apply more to FPS games that require both accuracy and speed. Thank for the comment. It's an interesting perspective to add to the topic.

Last edited:

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
You should turn down your game volume. And I have always preferred low sensitivity. I have my deathadder at 1000dpi, and in game its probably at 10%. Any higher and I can't hit squat.

Jaiguru

Aug 13, 2007
I messed around a bit with this before I reset my stats a couple of months ago. I lowered my sensitivity in-game and raised my DPI to 2700. Since doing that I've brought my average K/D ratio from 1.6 out of 20k kills to 2.15 out of 14k kills.

Pretty solid improvement imo.

MajorBrass

Aug 21, 2012
www.youtube.com
I messed around a bit with this before I reset my stats a couple of months ago. I lowered my sensitivity in-game and raised my DPI to 2700. Since doing that I've brought my average K/D ratio from 1.6 out of 20k kills to 2.15 out of 14k kills.

Pretty solid improvement imo.

Nice. Exactly what I am talking about.

I use 800 dpi on my mouse and my in-game BF3 is "GstInput.MouseSensitivity 0.043605"

To see what yours is in game numerically:

Go to START ->Documents->Battlefield3->Settings->Prof_Save_Profile

and open it with WordPad, then look for the line:

"GstInput.MouseSensitivity"

My sensitivity is probably too low for most people but it is what I got used to using in CSS. fRoD, widely considered the best CSS AWPer in the world, used even lower sensitivity than that.

Thanks for the volume suggestion. I will have to see what I can do there with my next video.

Last edited:

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
Nice. Exactly what I am talking about.

I use 800 dpi on my mouse and my in-game BF3 is "GstInput.MouseSensitivity 0.043605"

Whoa....I thought mine was low, but its at .21.

Thanks for the volume suggestion. I will have to see what I can do there with my next video.

It should be easy to do in your video editor. Just lower the volume on the audio track with the game sound, and/or increase the volume on your commentary audio track.. Its just easier to hear what you are saying.

MarkLuvsCS

Jun 13, 2004
You're missing the other half of the equation though: putting in the time to become more proficient. You put a console player behind a keyboard/mouse and hes going to suck no matter how high the DPI is with a low sensitivity. It takes time for movements to become second nature.

PrincessFrosty

Platinum Member
Feb 13, 2008
www.frostyhacks.blogspot.com
One of the other problems I find with very low sensitivity is that it leaves you more open to attacks from rear angles, doing a 180 with high sensitivity is easy, again in the faster paced arena shooters fights can become close and nasty and passing each other at high speed results in the need to turn large angles quickly.

I also tend to find with low sensitivity that more arm movement is requires and this fatigues me faster than being able to just pivot my wrist, for extended play higher sensitivty for me personally is preferable.

I've noticed at lower sensitivity that I also tend to not look around my surroundings as much, battlefield awareness of team mates and potential threats is important and with less effort to constantly be on the lookout I find myself with a better mental picture of the battlefield.

Generally speaking, I'd say start with a low sensitivity and try and keep increasing it as and when you feel like you're getting used to it, you want the highest sensitivity possible that doesn't also destroy your aim.

12andy

Jan 20, 2011
Generally speaking, I'd say start with a low sensitivity and try and keep increasing it as and when you feel like you're getting used to it, you want the highest sensitivity possible that doesn't also destroy your aim.

I actually work the opposite way :)

Start with a medium-ish sensitivity, and lower it just to the point where it gets uncomfortable (aiming will suddenly fall off, and movement will become a chore). Bring it back up a notch, and you're set.

MajorBrass

Aug 21, 2012
www.youtube.com
One of the other problems I find with very low sensitivity is that it leaves you more open to attacks from rear angles, doing a 180 with high sensitivity is easy, again in the faster paced arena shooters fights can become close and nasty and passing each other at high speed results in the need to turn large angles quickly.

Well, 95% plus of engagements are from front angles. I also think that gross motor movements are not that much slower than fine in this context. Ever seen a drummer drum?
On a different note, when I went to low sensitivity, I experienced immidiate relief in carpal tunnel type symptoms extended gaming used to cause me.

It should be easy to do in your video editor. Just lower the volume on the audio track with the game sound, and/or increase the volume on your commentary audio track.. Its just easier to hear what you are saying.

Childs, thanks for the suggestion. I use Windows Live Movie Maker and only have the options to "Emphasize Narration" or "music" or "video". I used "Emphasize Narration" but I guess it is not enough.
I found a "video volume" option under "Edit" tab but it can only be adjusted prior to recording a narration cause after that it's greyed out. I'll have to play with it in the next video.

Last edited:

tygeezy

Aug 28, 2012
Do you use a cloth mouse pad or a hard mat? I'm assuming a soft pad since I haven't seen any 17 inch wide hard mats. Do laser mice track okay on soft mouse pads? I remember reading that the g5 laser had issues on soft surfaces.

tygeezy

Aug 28, 2012
Dint know they made them that huge. People seem to really love that pad, but quite a few people mention the mouse pad smelling pretty bad. Did you have that same problem?

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
Thought this was how everyone plays FPS already ? :)

I always play with low sensitivity, just fast enough to allow me to do a 180 without my mouse having to leave the mousepad. I use a Logitech G9x with sensitivity at 1200dpi. In BF3 my sensitivity is very close to the end.

I played CS like this as well and did well in that game too.

TridenT

Lifer
Sep 4, 2006
I play with sensitivity high enough so that I can do a full spin in about 3-5 inches of mouse movement. With CS, it's basically a requirement... I die a lot because I couldn't turn around fast enough (Mostly due to reaction time and slower pattern recognition(No fixing that)). EDIT: My mouse doesn't usually move more than its full width. It's almost all wrist movement...

CS:GO, 4.42 mouse sensitivity. Middle setting on a stock Logitech G5 (old). I think it's 800dpi.

Last edited:

JamesV

Platinum Member
Jul 9, 2011
Dint know they made them that huge. People seem to really love that pad, but quite a few people mention the mouse pad smelling pretty bad. Did you have that same problem?

I imagine the smell of anyone's mousepad is directly related to their eating habits.

Mine doesn't smell, but I don't eat chicken wings and Cheetos while using my PC. Peanuts, cashews, and pretzels are about all that get near my PC.

It does get dirty though, but a damp sponge with a bit of soap makes it like new in 10 minutes. The only issue I have with cloth mousepads is fraying at the edges, which isn't a big deal with mine... just rotate it. Burn marks suck though, if you are a smoker.

-----

Back OT; I've always run low sensitivity, even when people laughed about (strikingly similar to arrow keys vs WASD). 1200 is my default, which fits me moving my hand easily left to right and turning my game avatar 180 degrees. But I often drop to 800 when doing things like sniping, and even down to 600 with tricky hard-coded vehicle weapons.

DPI is a gimmick now. Anything above 2800-3200 isn't playable by anything but a machine.

tygeezy

Aug 28, 2012
These guys were complaining about some pungent smell that was fresh out of the box.

Canbacon

Dec 24, 2007
These guys were complaining about some pungent smell that was fresh out of the box.

That is probably from the rubber. It depends on how sensitive you are from that kind of smell. It should go away after some use, but it can be very strong.

JamesV

Platinum Member
Jul 9, 2011
That is probably from the rubber. It depends on how sensitive you are from that kind of smell. It should go away after some use, but it can be very strong.

Yea, when you first remove it from the sleeve it comes in, it does stink, with a strong smell... but it's gone in a few days; some people will complain about anything.

I guess if you enjoy smelling your mousepad, and can't wait 3 days for the smell to go away, then you should probably buy a different mousepad. But if you prefer function to smell, I really like the Xtrac pads.

ixelion

Feb 5, 2005
I also recently started using 800dpi with a single notch above 0 sens in cod7, I guess 5%. It a lot easier to track fast moving players while controlling recoil.

the hardest part about all this is that the in game sens slider for different games often don't make sense. Bf3 is a good example it seems to go from -50% to 200% which makes no fucking sense and makes it difficult to find your sens. On a side not I put over 400h on that game and regret every second of it.

ideally 0% would be no interpolation and 100% would double your mouse speed. Or 50% would be the point of 0 interpolation would be ok too.

Last edited: