The best thing ive found to clean out my case.

PhIlLy ChEeSe

Apr 1, 2013
Canned air aint cheap!
I use a clean paint brush with long bristles and an air compressor to knock out the lose stuff.
That unit will cause static discharge, and give ESD to your computer.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Well at least in my neck of the woods canned air is about 6 bucks a can which comes out to be about 10 cans of air.

This thread is beginning to reveal a wide variation in the price of something that is almost a commodity except for the branding, unless different propellants are used.

I'd found the six-packs at COSTCO priced around $16. And I STILL thought it was pricey -- requiring travel if I ran out of spare cans. The cans are only effective so long for one continuous usage, and the pressure varies considerably from first use to the last. I'd found myself trying to use each can "sparingly."

I keep close-by my two most useful dust-abatement items: My Metro-VAC 500 and a soft 2"-wide sable paint brush. I've never had any problem with static charge or ESD, although I use the tool in short blasts.

After that, I have a wonderful Shark Navigator and a Hoover Steam-VAC. More frequent use of those items would probably mean less dust to abate, but this is So-Cal in the late summer.

And -- I deploy DMCI-Flex custom filters for my HAF 922's.

Even so, there are occasional times when you'd want a can of compressed air, so I'd continue to buy them with much less frequency.

know of fence

May 28, 2009
sixty bucks.

equivalent to 40 cans of compressed air.

Actually it's LPG, or lighter fluid that you are buying spaying and inhaling. You still like 10 times its price buying it in a can, BTW. Granted all spray cans use this stuff, but in much lesser quantities.
Hope you are not a smoker!
tumblr_lynif3JcP31qd8nujo1_500.jpg

Compressing air takes a lot of force, which is why canister for compressed air look a lot like this rather than a spray can. Liquefied air on the other hand basically handles like liquid nitrogen except it's even more dangerous.

tanks1.png

I actually would recommend a hand operated 4 liter cylindrical double-action-pump that is generally used for big inflatable stuff combined with a vacuum to capture the dust cloud.
2752-68615e-inuse-300.jpg

MadScientist

Platinum Member
Jul 15, 2001
Why buy anything to clean out your PC. Borrow your wife's or GF's hair, aka blow, dryer, set it on high air, no heat; and use a small soft brush to clean the fins of your heat sink.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Why buy anything to clean out your PC. Borrow your wife's or GF's hair, aka blow, dryer, set it on high air, no heat; and use a small soft brush to clean the fins of your heat sink.

NOw . . . I almost feel stupid for buying the ED500. I think you're right about this, providing the hair-dryer has a blast strong enough to dislodge the dust. And -- I think it probably does . . .

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Wow never thought of a hair dryer LOL. I personally use an air compressor and shop vac, been a while since I done any of my systems though, my workstations were recently converted to rackmount so they're in new clean cases, and my servers I don't want to shut down. If ever I do need to shut them down I'll clean them at same time, probably going to be nasty in there! Probably lot of spiders and stuff.

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004
Tons of shop vacs allow you to hook on to the exhaust side of the vacuum to use it as a blower too.

WilliamM2

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2012
I use a 5 gal. portable air tank that I fill with a compressor. I think I paid $20 for the tank 20 years ago. I have cleaned computer 100's of times with it.

The compressor was about $100, but it has dozens of uses. I originally bought it to roof my house.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I used a hair dryer on my radiators to dry them after flushing. Hair dryers are just fine for the job and you can even rig up a nozzle to direct the air and make it more forceful. FREE AIR FTW.

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
Was going to splurge and get a air compressor to do what I was tired of doing with a combination of canned air/vacuum cleaner until I found this.
http://www.amazon.com/Metro-Vacuum-ED500-500-Watt-Electric/dp/B001J4ZOAW%3FSubscriptionId%3DAKIAJ7VMODKUTIUWFY2Q%26tag%3Doverclockdotnet-thr-mcb-lo-t-d-20%26linkCode%3Dxm2%26camp%3D2025%26creative%3D165953%26creativeASIN%3DB001J4ZOAW

Used it inside my Antec 900 case today and it looks immaculate. Much more powerful{and safe}then canned air and look for it to pay for itself in no time.

I bought this over ten years ago. It's an anti-static vacuum. Unfortunately, the vacuum was never that strong and I still use compressed air in a can.

20150902_105015_zps37ooxtye.jpg

sixty bucks.

equivalent to 40 cans of compressed air.

It's like $4-5 a can where I'm at. Not cheap at all like you are quoting.

That unit will cause static discharge, and give ESD to your computer.

No it won't. It's made for use for your pc.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
I use a DataVac also...
They are great, good air pressure, small.

However the DataVac is my final line of cleaning..
This is my first wall against dust..
20150526_130017_zpsjri5fjue.jpg

HVAC Filter over the main intake on my radiators keep the entire top chamber dust free where all my air exchange takes place.