The Best Server CPUs part 2: the Intel "Nehalem" Xeon X5570

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: JackyP
Great review. Nemesis did you forget to take your meds today? And does anyone know what happened to xtremesystems.org? (haven't they been down for days; someone over there also wanted to review a gainestown rig so I wanted to check it out - see I'm not off topic)

No idea on XS but I noticed they are down too. Nemesis is less lucid when he's on his meds ;) Don't encourage it :p

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
haruhi's awesomeness and my 975 D0 was battleing with fuggers crashed XS. :p

on a serious note i hear it wa a botched hd replacement.

XS is not hosted by an off server, fugger has the box at his house.

daw123

Platinum Member
Aug 30, 2008
Originally posted by: dajeepster
You can buy these processors at newegg

along with some dual socket motherboards

How comes the Xeon versions of the I7 are so much more expensive than the normal I7s (for the same speed), yet the Xeons and their Core 2 Quad equivalents were pretty much the same price.

Is it only because they are 2xqpi enabled chips? Hell of a premium to pay just for that.

Can you run the dual socket MBs with only a single chip, or must you install both?

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Originally posted by: magreen
Originally posted by: Gillbot
Originally posted by: aigomorla
Originally posted by: JohanAnandtech
"Anand missed the W5580 which is a 3.2ghz stock gainestown."

Wrong twice ;-). First of all, it is not Anand. Secondly, it is a server review. The hot headed W5580 is clearly targeted at workstations, not the server market. In the server world, 130W server CPUs are getting very unpopular. Our review is completely targeted at server use. And we do mention this in the article...

thanks for the explaination!

And i retract my comment!

Wow, he took the time to make his 2nd post to PWN you! HAHAHAHAH!

LOL. (no hard feelings, aigo :p )

i dont bash ego's against someone who has a couple $100,000+ in enterprise EQ ready to pwn me. :p

Originally posted by: daw123

How comes the Xeon versions of the I7 are so much more expensive than the normal I7s (for the same speed), yet the Xeons and their Core 2 Quad equivalents were pretty much the same price.

Is it only because they are 2xqpi enabled chips? Hell of a premium to pay just for that.

Can you run the dual socket MBs with only a single chip, or must you install both?

Because its enterprise (no i dont mean the saucer ship that flys in space). What more do i need to say? Enterprise boards start at 400 and average 500-600 dollars, not 100 like us regular consumers are used to.

Also the 2xQPI is what makes the gainestown work in dual socket boards. If you dont have a 2xqpi enabled chip it wont work in a gainestown platform.

And i heard u can use 1 cpu, as i said my friend is reviewing my X5580 <-- its not even listed on intel's product road map yet.

daw123

Platinum Member
Aug 30, 2008
Originally posted by: magreen
Originally posted by: Gillbot
Originally posted by: JohanAnandtech
"Anand missed the W5580 which is a 3.2ghz stock gainestown."

Wrong twice ;-). First of all, it is not Anand. Secondly, it is a server review. The hot headed W5580 is clearly targeted at workstations, not the server market. In the server world, 130W server CPUs are getting very unpopular. Our review is completely targeted at server use. And we do mention this in the article...

thanks for the explaination!

And i retract my comment!

Wow, he took the time to make his 2nd post to PWN you! HAHAHAHAH!

LOL. (no hard feelings, aigo :p )

i dont bash ego's against someone who has a couple $100,000+ in enterprise EQ ready to pwn me. :p

Because its enterprise (no i dont mean the saucer ship that flys in space). What more do i need to say? Enterprise boards start at 400 and average 500-600 dollars, not 100 like us regular consumers are used to.

Also the 2xQPI is what makes the gainestown work in dual socket boards. If you dont have a 2xqpi enabled chip it wont work in a gainestown platform.

And i heard u can use 1 cpu, as i said my friend is reviewing my X5580 <-- its not even listed on intel's product road map yet.

Can you lend it to me and the MB? I promise I will take good care of it and treat it like my own (I won't even drop it on the floor like my last CPU) :D

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005

Can you lend it to me and the MB? I promise I will take good care of it and treat it like my own (I won't even drop it on the floor like my last CPU) :D

Thats why i lent it to him.

He has awesome/godly connections at SuperMicro, and they were giving him a uber ES board if he had chips for it.

He showed them my chips, they sent him a 600 dollar board to review. :p

JAH

Mar 4, 2005
How would a pair of the Xeon E5520 in a dual sockets setup perform as a video editing/rendering workstation?

Denithor

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2004
Originally posted by: JAH
How would a pair of the Xeon E5520 in a dual sockets setup perform as a video editing/rendering workstation?

And would it play Crysis?

:p

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Originally posted by: ghost recon88
I have a friend who has a X5580 ES, and it clocks great in his X58 board.

Shins

Id like to talk to your friend... find out why he's telling you BS.
OR maybe he knows something i dont... (i find that very unlikely tho).

Because i just showed you guys how our bios is butchered on a X5580.

X5580 in X58 Board.
http://i125.photobucket.com/al...aigomorla/IMG_0162.jpg

i7 920 in X58 Board.
http://www.techspot.com/articl...129/images/BIOS_01.jpg

So your friend is telling you FUD. You can call him on it.

Wait... How did he even get his hands on these chips. There Super UBER RARE.
Its not something non enterprise people could even get their hands on.

ghost recon88

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2005
I have a friend who has a X5580 ES, and it clocks great in his X58 board.

Shins

Id like to talk to your friend... find out why he's telling you BS.
OR maybe he knows something i dont... (i find that very unlikely tho).

Because i just showed you guys how our bios is butchered on a X5580.

X5580 in X58 Board.
http://i125.photobucket.com/al...aigomorla/IMG_0162.jpg

i7 920 in X58 Board.
http://www.techspot.com/articl...129/images/BIOS_01.jpg

So your friend is telling you FUD. You can call him on it.

Wait... How did he even get his hands on these chips. There Super UBER RARE.
Its not something non enterprise people could even get their hands on.

Actually I just contacted him and it's a W3570 3.2GHz, so the single socket Xeon variant. My bad on the X5580 :p

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005

Actually I just contacted him and it's a W3570 3.2GHz, so the single socket Xeon variant. My bad on the X5580 :p

dayam i was really crossing my fingers that he figured something out that i didnt know.

This chip really gave me headaches... Ask gillbot. :p

ghost recon88

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2005

dayam i was really crossing my fingers that he figured something out that i didnt know.

This chip really gave me headaches... Ask gillbot. :p

Ha, can't get the X5580 working? What boards have you tried? I know Gigabtye has released a series of updated beta BIOS for their X58 boards allowing better D0 compatibility ;)