The Best Format (Brand!) Wars!

JAH

Mar 4, 2005
Which of those format wars bring out the most passionate, idiotic and blind faith discussions among their fanboys?

Name your allegiance to each if you have one!

michaels

Banned
Nov 30, 2005
Damn this is a tough one, Linux nerds are pretty hardcore, and what about Trek vs Wars?

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
i don't think you know what the word 'format' means.

ChaoZ

Diamond Member
Apr 5, 2000
Definitely the console wars. The only fanboys that can top those are Apple fanboys.

AmpedSilence

Platinum Member
Oct 7, 2005
the video card wars hands down....

What would be ironic is if this discussion breds a new type of fan boys... one who say one "format" war is better than the other.... :p

JAH

Mar 4, 2005
Originally posted by: AmpedSilence
the video card wars hands down....

What would be ironic is if this discussion breds a new type of fan boys... one who say one "format" war is better than the other.... :p

That's sorta the point, lol. I dunno, I find fanboys arguments entertaining to read... :D

michaels

Banned
Nov 30, 2005
Some of the worst are the Repub and Dem fanboys in the Politics section...the whole lot are tools for their side.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Originally posted by: ElFenix

seconded.

OP, these are all brand wars you are list. Blu-Ray vs HD-DVD is the only 'format' war listed. The word format in a format war, references the idea of a storage medium, with Blu-Ray and HD-DVD being two formats that are competing to be the sole format.

Specop 007

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
Ummm...How about one a bit older, and a bit more heated (To the diehards).

Ford vs Chevy

JAH

Mar 4, 2005
Originally posted by: destrekor
Originally posted by: ElFenix

seconded.

OP, these are all brand wars you are list. Blu-Ray vs HD-DVD is the only 'format' war listed. The word format in a format war, references the idea of a storage medium, with Blu-Ray and HD-DVD being two formats that are competing to be the sole format.

Yes, I know. I was just reading the '300' HD-DVD vs. Blu-ray sales number thread on highdefdigest.com before I post this, so I used the word "format". Big whoop, move on.

Edited the title.

xAlias

Aug 1, 2006

Definately got to be the nvidia vs Ati wars.. Nothing beats that rivalry among fanboys especially near the launch of a new series! :D

uli2000

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2006
Originally posted by: ChaoZ
Definitely the console wars. The only fanboys that can top those are Apple fanboys.

Spot on. Nothing better than a 'my video game is better than your video game' discussion falling apart and exploding on itself. Hilarity is ensured untill the thread gets closed.

torpid

Lifer
Sep 14, 2003
I voted console games because it seems like the least logical thing to have an adamant opinion over.

As for my side...

For AMD v Intel, I go for whatever is cheaper at the time, usually AMD
Console, I have no real opinion I guess. Each company has had its moments.
ATI v nVidia, don't really care that much I guess. I've owned both, been relatively happy.
HD video format, don't care, just want it to be overwith already

Where's the american v japanese v european car one?

Mrvile

Lifer
Oct 16, 2004
Console wars, it's really the only one that the general public cares about. Most of the others are niche ones.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
IMHO, Linux >>>>>>>>>>> Windows
I honestly don't give a crap about Macs.

Linux is simply designed better. The only thing Windows has going for it is its user-interface and thus, appeal to the computer-illiterate masses. I suppose it also has Office, which is convenient, but I'm comparing the OSs here. Not the software. Once you get past the learning curve, Linux is infinitely more powerful, expandable, and secure. And no one can deny that Linux blows Windows out of the water in terms of speed.

ObscureCaucasian

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2006
Console wars. Some of the people who feel most passionately about a console are also the most immature and blind people out there.