The best 100 PC games of all time.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
PC gamer sucks. They sell good reviews and they mucked up a perfectly good format when the old guys were forced out.

EDIT:
WOW!
BG2 went from 25th down to 76th.
WTF?

Also I agree about Morrowind.
Oblivion might be more playable in some ways, but Morrowind was a whole experience. Exploring the unknown with that slight aura of fear around you made it a worthwhile emotional investment. Ditto KOTOR.

Last edited:

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
This list is void of any credibility on the fact that Supreme Commander 2 was put on it.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
No Dawn of War? Poor call, first game to introduce decent melee combat (and sync kills were just awesome)

No HoMM3/5? or KB:TL/AP? Best games of their genre, completely ignored.

No Titan Quest? It was better than Torchlight.

Pirates! Gold? Alongside Civ 1 and Frontier, this sucked the rest of my childhood away.

Civ IV is the Civ representative? Civ 1 or 2 were light years better imo.

No love for the X-series? Undoubtedly the best Elite-type game/series since Frontier: Elite II.

Freespace 2? Is it me or is the picture for Freespace 2, actually NOT from Freespace 2?

I'd comment further but that list was pretty pathetic.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I think we can all agree its not the list we'd make, especially when Supreme Commander 2 was on there and quite high up the list as well.

But the fact they put plenty of truly excellent games on there means it is a valid list of best PC games ever. Its just not a well made list.

RPD

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
Ya no Quake and Starcraft I was so damn low. I just skimmed through it, but thought it was pretty shitty.

Mar 10, 2005
what a pathetic list. possibly worse than rolling stone's top 100 lists. also, forcing you to view each page instead of just listing the games on 1 page with links - is that a trick to generate page views?

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Let's face it..best of lists usually fail. Everyones opinions vary. Personally for me Eve > WoW and I don't even think it was on the list.

Judgement

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
what a pathetic list. possibly worse than rolling stone's top 100 lists. also, forcing you to view each page instead of just listing the games on 1 page with links - is that a trick to generate page views?

I don't feel like reading another one of these poorly made lists and being irritated, so I wont take the time to look at it -

but I'm going to assume its to force ad hits from people who dont have ABP?

Qbah

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2005
Well, it has BG2, System Shock 2 and FreeSpace 2. But they say BG2 stomps all over DA : O and ME and yet it's lower? Hmm...

Then again, with a 100 to pick, it's hard to actually miss the best ones.

And yeah, that is so NOT a screenshot from FreeSpace 2 :D

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
No Dawn of War? Poor call, first game to introduce decent melee combat (and sync kills were just awesome)

No HoMM3/5? or KB:TL/AP? Best games of their genre, completely ignored.

No Titan Quest? It was better than Torchlight.

Pirates! Gold? Alongside Civ 1 and Frontier, this sucked the rest of my childhood away.

Civ IV is the Civ representative? Civ 1 or 2 were light years better imo.

No love for the X-series? Undoubtedly the best Elite-type game/series since Frontier: Elite II.

Freespace 2? Is it me or is the picture for Freespace 2, actually NOT from Freespace 2?

I'd comment further but that list was pretty pathetic.

All of this.

dsm

Feb 16, 2011
What the heck is Deus Ex! and wheres Crysis? I really didnt look past the top 10 but I think it should be in there.

dust

Golden Member
Oct 13, 2008
WTF is Spelunky? And Football Manager? Really?

Would have liked to see FEAR somewhere, Stalker SOC(certainly better than COP anyway), Age Of Mythology.

What about Farcry,Borderlands???!?

I like that they included Dungeon Keeper and Alpha Centauri.

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
What the heck is Deus Ex! and wheres Crysis? I really didnt look past the top 10 but I think it should be in there.

Deus Ex is a brilliant game. It would be in my top 10 of all time.

Having BG 2 at 70-something and then Dragon Age and both Mass Effects above it was weird.

My top 10 would be

1. Planescape Torment
2. Bg2 + expansion
3. Fallout 1 (and 2)
4. Deus Ex
5. Civ 2
6. KOTOR
7. Unreal Tournament 99
8. Ultima 7
9. Fallout 3 and New Vegas
10. Dragon Age

Obviously I'm biased towards role playing games ;)

Aug 11, 2008
I get the paper copy of the magazine and am looking at it now. Some good choices and some very strange ones. Dues Ex as #1, surprise to me, dont really know much about the game though. Also surprised that WOW is #2, never seen it rated so high. I really dont think an MMO should be rated #2, as a fair number of people wont play them at all. Also surprising is that Mass Effect is ahead of ME2, and obviously that SupCom 2 is 29 and the original game is not listed (WTF, dont understand this at all). Also, there are a lot of games on the list that I never heard of at all: Spelunky, VVVVVV, Wurm online, Anchorhead, --- Anybody here played these???

Nox51

Jul 4, 2009
Starcraft and the original red alert placed below Zuma. Utter fucking fail!