The battle between Rush and McCain. Is it really about 2 issues?

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
If you read around a bit you would think that there is a huge battle between talk radio and John McCain.

Rush and the others really seem to despise him. Rush likes to call McCain a liberal.

But McCain has a rather good rating by the conservative union so I am thinking it comes down to two issues.

1. McCain supported immigration reform which is a HUGE no no for the talk radio crowd.

2. McCain-Fiengold is seen by talk radio as a restriction on free speech, another huge no no, especially if you earn a living via free speech.

Any thoughts on this?

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
There are plenty of good reasons not to vote for McCain. Why do you care what a bloated, lying, drugged out old windbag like Limbaugh says? For that matter, why does anyone care? :roll:

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
I would never support McCain, and my reasoning has nothing to do with McCain-Fiengold nor immigration.

Republicans need to learn that they will have to pay a price for breaking their promises of a smaller federal government and no nation-building overseas. McCain's support for the war in Iraq was not only a slap in the face to the American people, but also to those who are brave enough to put on the uniform.

If our government owes only one thing to the men and women in uniform, it is to only put them in harm's way when it is absolutely necessary. They sign up to defend OUR country, not to attack someone else's.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: Harvey
There are plenty of good reasons not to vote for McCain. Why do you care what a bloated, lying, drugged out old windbag like Limbaugh says? For that matter, why does anyone care? :roll:

But yet here you are posting about it. :p

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
It's about the right enforcing ideological purity. Anyone who voted against a taxcut gets attacked, even if those taxcuts are at a time of war and sank the country into record deficits. Taxcuts are good is rightwing dogma, don't ever dare let reality interfere with that. Ditto for illegal immigration. Anyone who actually addresses the issue pragmatically instead of simply saying "no amnesty" until their face turns blue is attacked viciously by the right.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
As far as I'm concerned, if the talk radio crowd doesn't like somebody...that person must be doing SOMETHING right. The fact that Rush doesn't like McCain is all the reason I need to hope McCain gets the Republican nomination.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
I think it started when McCain said white collar drug addicts who commit crimes should be punished the same as others.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
He has 20 million listeners. Makes him the most important non-politician in the country when it comes to political issues.

He comes out tomorrow and says he supports McCain and McCain wins the Republican nomination etc.

BTW Olberman has less than a million viewers but the lefties keep making posts about what he says?

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: CADsortaGUY

But yet here you are posting about it. :p

But I'm smart enough not to waste electricity or acoustic power listening to him. :cool:

McCain pisses me off because, after the Rove pack swiftboated him, as well as Max Cleland and Kerry, he stood behind your Traitor In Chief and backed his run for President.

He didn't have to back anyone else. He could have just stood silent, and I would have some respect for him. AFIC, he sold all of the good will as a POW when he whored himself out to the Bushwhacko machine. There's no way I could trust him as President.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
If you read around a bit you would think that there is a huge battle between talk radio and John McCain.

Rush and the others really seem to despise him. Rush likes to call McCain a liberal.

But McCain has a rather good rating by the conservative union so I am thinking it comes down to two issues.

1. McCain supported immigration reform which is a HUGE no no for the talk radio crowd.

2. McCain-Fiengold is seen by talk radio as a restriction on free speech, another huge no no, especially if you earn a living via free speech.

Any thoughts on this?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I totally agree with Harvey and also feel that no one should pay any attention to Limbaugh for a wide variety of logical reasons, there are close to 14 million "ditto heads" Limbaugh listeners who hang on to every word and who will add to the voter roles in 08.

But as a sign of the times, this time, most GOP voters just don't seem to be paying much attention to Rush and his recommendations, because its now a fairly well known fact that Limbaugh put his political capital behind Fred Thompson. And publically called him the only
TRUE CONSERVATIVE the GOP has in the 08 Presidential field.

As Non Prof John notes in the conservative Union rating, its pretty hard to logically state that McCain does not have the most conservative voting record of the remaining set of GOP contenders. But its even harder to maintain that Limbaugh ever paid the slightest bit of attention to logical arguments at any time.

But since the word Liberal=evil in Limbaugh speak, its worth noting Limbaugh sees liberal tendencies in the positions of Giuliani, McCain, Huckabee, and Romney. And I don't even remotely think Limbaugh even considers Ron Paul as a member of the GOP.

But now that Fred Thompson has dropped out, the world now wonders who Limbaugh will
now endorse. Since I doubt that any logic can be brought to bear on the question of whom Limbaugh will seek to lionize and who he will continue to lambaste, Non Prof John will just have to wait to see what Limbaugh ends up saying in light of Thompson dropping out. But I have little doubt all the remaining GOP contenders are dispatching envoys seeking to ingratiate and pander to the man from EIB.

Comanche

May 8, 2005
From a conservative viewpoint, none of the guys running today really stand up to what is important to conservatives. Smaller government, lower taxes, a tax law that makes sense. All the guys running today are a lot like GWB in that they say they are conservative but they really aren't.

I am of the opinion that the only people out there today who are true to thier party are the democrats, because they say they are going to raise taxes and they probably will. Unlike the republicans who say they are going to lower them and then raise them anyway. I am pretty frustrated with the whole thing.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
As usual with republicans lately, they seem totally in denial. First of all, the only route to lower taxes is to reduce the size of government. Which is exactly what GWB and Ronald Reagan did not do as both have precided over the greatest expansion of the size of the Federal government in US history. Given that one has to finance government with taxes or borrowing, one then should ask which groups in a society pays the taxes and who then finally has to pay the borrowed money back.

And unless Commance is very wealthy, he did not receive much of any benefit from the GWB tax cuts, but now must pay an equal share with the beneficiaries as we pay the debt back more or less equally. I am not just frustrated, I am mad as hell at our national stupidity and am even more angry at the fact that almost all of us were robbed to just benefit a very small group.

And now the US consumer is feeling the pinch and the economy is likely to collapse. Thanks mainly to REPUBLICAN POLICY.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004

Any thoughts on this?

Not to mention his opposition to the "Bush" tax cuts. What's actually conservative about this guy besides the label next to his name?

ranmaniac

Golden Member
May 14, 2001
Rush needs Hillary in office, he'll get more listeners like he did when Bill Clinton entered office. I remember buying two of his books, and watched his tv show not too long after Bill Clinton was elected, his show was hilarious, especially when he made fun of Robert Reichhhhh etc.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
if Rush spoke badly against Satan, it'd make me really think about the merits the devil has to offer.

he's kind of a tool.

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000
Thank god I don't listen to Rush or any of his ilk. Anyone who listens to talk radio to tell them who to vote for is an idiot anyway.

daveymark

Lifer
Sep 15, 2003
Originally posted by: Jaskalas

Any thoughts on this?

Not to mention his opposition to the "Bush" tax cuts. What's actually conservative about this guy besides the label next to his name?

I'm still trying to figure that out. Seems the only people trying to say that he's not conservative are liberals. guess they don't want him in their party either :)

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: Rainsford
As far as I'm concerned, if the talk radio crowd doesn't like somebody...that person must be doing SOMETHING right. The fact that Rush doesn't like McCain is all the reason I need to hope McCain gets the Republican nomination.

AFAIC, if the leftist crown here/online doesn't like somebody on the R side.... that person must be doing SOMETHING right. ;)

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003

Any thoughts on this?

Yeah, I think it's those two issues, especially the "amnesty" program McCain supported along with Kennedy (IIRC).

And no, I don't give a d@mn what McCain called it, it was amnesty.

Fern

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
At the end of the day Rush is in a dilemma. Thompson is gone and now he has to endorse someone.

And in some ways, Hillary is the most conservative of all the choices.

The other end of the day thing is the Peter Pan effect. If you believe in magic hard enough it can exists, and if you don't believe in Rush Limbaugh, then you can view him correctly as a fat idiots whose opinion should not matter any more than yours or mine.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Originally posted by: Lemon law
At the end of the day Rush is in a dilemma. Thompson is gone and now he has to endorse someone.

And in some ways, Hillary is the most conservative of all the choices.

The other end of the day thing is the Peter Pan effect. If you believe in magic hard enough it can exists, and if you don't believe in Rush Limbaugh, then you can view him correctly as a fat idiots whose opinion should not matter any more than yours or mine.

Rush had to support Bush, which often meant trashing McCain. Now he's going to have to kiss McCains ass, which he tried so hard to boot before. All Rush has to do with his audience is just change his tune, and it will be as if he always had. It's the memory eraser button I suppose. Still HE and WE know it's all shit, and although he get's called on it all the time, it's really going to be awkward. Rush isn't about conservativism, it's about his wallet and ego, To fill one and stroke the other he's wedded to the Republicans of whom he can only be mildly critical. This is kind of funny. :D

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
I don't want McCain as president, but if that drug-head Rush doesn't like him, maybe I need to rethink this. What's bad for Rush is probably good for us (us being everyone on the planet).

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Originally posted by: CADsortaGUY
Originally posted by: Rainsford

AFAIC, if the leftist crown here/online doesn't like somebody on the R side.... that person must be doing SOMETHING right. ;)

Fair enough...but you'll notice I limited what I said a little more. I have no specific problem with conservatives, just the talk radio types. And you'll also notice I applied that rule to EVERYONE, not just people on my side of the debate (it's not like I line up with McCain on a lot of policy issues). But as far as I'm concerned, talk radio is the worst thing to happen to modern politics. It has the potential to reach millions of people with new an interesting perspectives and ideas...and instead it's become a collecting point for angry people too dumb to think for themselves. This is not a partisan thing, I don't like liberal talk radio any better (there just isn't nearly as much of it).

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
He has 20 million listeners. Makes him the most important non-politician in the country when it comes to political issues.

He comes out tomorrow and says he supports McCain and McCain wins the Republican nomination etc.

BTW Olberman has less than a million viewers but the lefties keep making posts about what he says?

You keep bringing up the size of Rush's audience...I don't think it's as good of a statistic as you think it is. Sure, 20 million is impressive...if popularity is a good way to determine quality.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Man I wish that fat assed jowled bag of hot noxious gas would just shut up. Same goes for Rush.:laugh: