the balance of my checking accountis $740.01

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cavdraco

Mar 28, 2001
OUCH you have to pay way to much for rent my total monthly bills dont add up to that. Of course I live in a very small town :)

Cav

OREOSpeedwagon

Diamond Member
May 30, 2001
Originally posted by: Astaroth33
Bleh.. I get hit hard this check:

Rent - $1275 (not too bad for a 2-bedroom in San Jose)
Car - $300
Internet - $200 (1.1 Mbps sDSL w/static ip)

What's left over gets to pay for gas and food.. next check gets to pay toward credit cards.. (and I have a balance there that would make RossMAN proud..)

$200 for internet?! Geez...

mithrandir2001

Diamond Member
May 1, 2001
My checking account hasn't dropped below $500 for over 13 years...and I was 16 at the time. Either I'm very anal about money or I'm a spoiled rich snob from the 'burbs. :eek:

Mo0o

Lifer
Jul 31, 2001

Car - $300

What's left over gets to pay for gas and food.. next check gets to pay toward credit cards.. (and I have a balance there that would make RossMAN proud..)

maybe you should think about going easier on the internet access there. 200 bucks a month? thats crazy dood.

Freejack2

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2000
We just paid rent, the car payment, utilities, and internet. Renters insurance and the second half of my car insurance is due this month and if that wasn't enough the temperature sensor on my wifes car is going screwy. I'm praying it's nothing serious.

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Freejack2
We just paid rent, the car payment, utilities, and internet. Renters insurance and the second half of my car insurance is due this month and if that wasn't enough the temperature sensor on my wifes car is going screwy. I'm praying it's nothing serious.

My car was doing that a couple weeks ago. We all know how that turned out.

Ameesh

Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Originally posted by: mithrandir2001
My checking account hasn't dropped below $500 for over 13 years...and I was 16 at the time. Either I'm very anal about money or I'm a spoiled rich snob from the 'burbs. :eek:

didnt you live with your parents until you were 30?

Bullhonkie

Golden Member
Sep 28, 2001

Car - $300

How big is your 2bd unit if you don't mind me asking, and is it an apartment or something else? We're renting a 2bd house in SJ (well technically a duplex since it shares one tiny common wall, but no one would ever know just from looking at it) that's around 1300sqft for $1600/mo. Lots better than our previous place - a 2bd condo that was around 800sqft for $1800/mo that was a second floor unit. Bleh to that.

We were paying out the ass for sdsl for awhile too. $149/mo for 384kbps. Thankfully the gf was able to convince her work to pay for it, so that saved us quite a bit. :D

Spike

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2001
oh man, I must luck out. I live in a house in Seattle(wallingford area) with 7 other guys, have a large room with a view of downtown and mt. rainer, and pay only $475 a month for rent/food/utilities. If the prices you guys are quoting is normal, then I am in for a royal screwing when I try to move out. maybe I will stay for a bit longer...

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
Originally posted by: Bullhonkie

Car - $300

How big is your 2bd unit if you don't mind me asking, and is it an apartment or something else? We're renting a 2bd house in SJ (well technically a duplex since it shares one tiny common wall, but no one would ever know just from looking at it) that's around 1300sqft for $1600/mo. Lots better than our previous place - a 2bd condo that was around 800sqft for $1800/mo that was a second floor unit. Bleh to that.

We were paying out the ass for sdsl for awhile too. $149/mo for 384kbps. Thankfully the gf was able to convince her work to pay for it, so that saved us quite a bit. :D

I don't know the square footage, but it's 2bd/1bth, all rooms including the living room are pretty decently sized. Technically, it's a townhouse, so there's no apartment #, but it's for all practical purposes an apartment (although many people in the complex own rather than rent). I'm down near 85 and Blossom Hill, which explains the lower price.

$149 for 384kbps? My provider (Speakeasy) charges that for 768kbps (which is why I went to 1.1Mbps; I figured, ah what the hell, it's only another $50/month..) And why am I paying so much for internet? Several reason: I want a static IP. I want fast upload speeds (I'm a p2p junkie, and do my own pic hosting and have a private ftp server). I don't want to have to deal with PPPoE. And... my Terms of Service explicitly state that I can run any kind of server. I can always drop the speed if I decide I can't afford it.

Bullhonkie

Golden Member
Sep 28, 2001
Originally posted by: Bullhonkie

Car - $300

I don't know the square footage, but it's 2bd/1bth, all rooms including the living room are pretty decently sized. Technically, it's a townhouse, so there's no apartment #, but it's for all practical purposes an apartment (although many people in the complex own rather than rent). I'm down near 85 and Blossom Hill, which explains the lower price.

$149 for 384kbps? My provider (Speakeasy) charges that for 768kbps (which is why I went to 1.1Mbps; I figured, ah what the hell, it's only another $50/month..) And why am I paying so much for internet? Several reason: I want a static IP. I want fast upload speeds (I'm a p2p junkie, and do my own pic hosting and have a private ftp server). I don't want to have to deal with PPPoE. And... my Terms of Service explicitly state that I can run any kind of server. I can always drop the speed if I decide I can't afford it.

That sounds pretty nice for what you're paying. We live in the south SJ area too, in the Almaden valley area (almaden/camden) and yeah, the houses down in this area were consistently cheaper than the other places we looked at, so we parked ourselves here. :) The only drawbacks are a lack of backyard (only a concrete patio), and a detached garage (~50ft walk or so). We have a real laid back/down to earth landlord, so it's worked out really well so far.

Yeah we had to go through Pacbell as a business customer if we wanted my gf's work to consider paying for it. If her work wouldn't have paid for it, we almost certainly would've switched to speakeasy.net for the much better prices. I wish it was a little faster sometimes, but I can't really complain now that we're getting it for free.