The Atom love-in / confession thread. Do you like Atom-based hardware?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
I got an EeePC years ago with the damn single-core Atom. It was fun but slow. Much better with teh Lun1x. XP on it was a bit painful, and the storage . . . woof.

My kids had an Iconia though I'm not sure if their version had an Atom in it or not. It seemed alright, though they cracked the screen on it.

TeknoBug

Platinum Member
Oct 2, 2013
They're OK, my Z3740 tablet works well but my wife's Z3735F 2-in-1 tablet/laptop can get sluggish. Also recently got a X5 Z8300 PC Stick and it's actually fairly snappy and plays videos just fine even at 1080p and has a nice wifi module (and bluetooth doesn't even interfere with it) and I can play streamed games from Steam or XB1/PS4. Also used a Surface 3 with Z8700 for a while which was more than good enough for a lot of things.

The N3150 is next on my list, but not sure what I'd use it for.

CHADBOGA

Platinum Member
Mar 31, 2009
No Atom based device has been good enough to tempt me, but I probably set a higher bar than most, for what I am expecting from the sort of devices that Atom has found itself in.

Feb 25, 2011
1) Whether you've ever purchased Atom-based hardware, and
Yes. A SFF PC (FoxConn NanoPC) and an HP Stream 7 tablet.

2) Whether you liked the product.
No to both.

The NanoPC used an older Atom (D2550 I think) which used a PowerVR IGP and lacked driver support for anything but Windows 7 32-bit. I was able to get CLI-only Linux running on it by disabling all the GPU drivers (forcing the console back to VGA emulation mode.) But when I did that and set it up as a minecraft server, it suuuuuucked. 2 Atom cores w/ HT were a choppier Minecraft experience than a single core VM on my current server. It also sucked as a file server. (CPU bottlenecked, still.) So I gave it to somebody for free to use as an HTPC.

The HP Stream 7 is... a nice tablet at first. Ran full x86 Windows 8, the Z3735F is fast enough for most tablet applications. But I had bad luck with the rest of the hardware - the first one I had cracked when my cat stepped on it. (Swear to god; I heard it crack. It was even in a padded case at the time.) I got a warranty replacement, but after a couple months it started giving me fake/ghost touchscreen input, so it was unusable as well. I replaced it with an iPad mini which has taken all the same abuse without skipping a beat. (Still using the same generic 7" tablet case I got at MicroCenter.)

Last edited:

Essence_of_War

Platinum Member
Feb 21, 2013
The HP Stream 7 is... a nice tablet at first. Ran full x86 Windows 8, the Z3735F is fast enough for most tablet applications. But I had bad luck with the rest of the hardware - the first one I had cracked when my cat stepped on it. (Swear to god; I heard it crack. It was even in a padded case at the time.)

Pictured below, dave_the_nerd's cat:

P.t.altaica_Tomak_Male.jpg

600 lb Siberian Tiger, answers to "kitty-kitty-kitty". :D

dark zero

Platinum Member
Jun 2, 2015
Even AMD Mullins would give better experience than Atom.

The Atom my father has was OK, but graphically sucked hard

reb0rn

Dec 31, 2009
Problem is also AMD had nothing better to offer in that price range, e-350 was as same bad as first atom!

hojnikb

Sep 18, 2014
Using Z3735F for TV and its working great. For basic browsing and video streaming its perfect. And its passive while using 3-5W on the wall.

Sweepr

Diamond Member
May 12, 2006
I'm a big fan of the full Windows on small/cheap tablets idea. Already used Dell Venue 8, ASUS T100, Surface 3 and other devices. Of course Core-based devices are noticeably faster, but the small cores handle most basic tasks just fine, at a fraction of the price/power.

ehume

Golden Member
Nov 6, 2009
I got an EeePC years ago with the damn single-core Atom. It was fun but slow. Much better with teh Lun1x. XP on it was a bit painful, and the storage . . . woof.
Yup. But it was my wife's portable before she got a Mac. It has sat in a drawer as a limited-duty-go-on-a-trip computer, until it got to be too slow.

Now I bought an HP Stream to look at lecture slides on PDF while I sat in the audience. I do this once a year. For $179 it was fine for that. However, the 11" screen bothers me. So I'll be glad to get a Goldmont with a 13" screen next January.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
At least Goldmont/Apollo Lake will be a step up from Bay Trail! Cherry Trail . . . ugh.

krumme

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2009
Problem is also AMD had nothing better to offer in that price range, e-350 was as same bad as first atom!
Hell no. Then you havnt tried the first atoms. Almost all of the first atoms was single core. It had 60% slower ipc than bobcat at same freq.
I had a samsung 10 inch with such a dog slow processor and compared to it the bobcat we had was fast. Lol.

Love my nas with bt atom. And ct+ was much faster than arm a9. Fine processors except the first generation especially single core stuff. But hey did god with a 5400 hd. :)

jkauff

Oct 4, 2012
I have an HP Stream 7 I hardly ever use, but it runs Win 8.1 just fine with a Bluetooth mouse (Win 10 brings it to its tiny knees, though).

When I do use it, I'm usually playing movies. I can run MPC-HC with LAV filters (using QuickSync HW decoding) and madVR (on default settings) and the movies look excellent. That's really impressive for a CPU/GPU as limited as the Atom chip. The app for MLB.TV also looks great.

For $89, no complaints.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2008
Yea, dont know why those mini usb ports are such a problem. I have one of the Winbook 7 inch tablets that is unusable because it will no longer charge through the mimi usb. I bought a different model from best buy, and the mini usb works, but doesnt fit well. I have a cheap twenty dollar flip phone that has a better fitting, sturdier feeling mini usb port.

Jan 20, 2013
The first Atom based netbook I had was a Latitude 2100, slow as a dog. The Bay Trail Atom processor on cheap tablets was an improvement; HP Stream 7 and Toshiba Encore, the latter which sucked because of its 16GB capacity.

nerp

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
I have an Atom in a Gigabyte board I bought about six years ago running my home server and it has been perfect for the task. No complaints or problems. I do have to replace the CPU fan as it has worn out and beginning to grind. I'll get several more years out of this thing and it uses about as much power as a lightbulb.

skipsneeky2

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
So glad i am content with just my desk top and basic flip phone.Never took interest in anything mobile except for a PSP once till that died quickly.I go out and its usually not long enough where i may die if i can't Youtube or Netflix.

My neighbor some years ago had a small cheap Atom notebook that ran XP with 1gb,it was her daily computer pretty much and i swear i really don't know anyone could use such a device like that.It couldn't be upgraded either lol.Nearly as useless as all those Vista towers neighbors had me look at which usually were Compaq presarios with cheap AMD dual cores with 512mb with their half decade long boot times and constant lagging.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
I have a Double Power 7" Tablet with Atom Z3735G. I got it for $5AR. I powered it on to make sure it wasn't DOA before sending the rebate form. Its been sitting on my shelf ever since. I can't think of a use for it.