The AT World of Warcraft Thread (Where do you play) and general BS

Page 70 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

invidia

Platinum Member
Oct 8, 2006
The main stats that separate PvP and PvE gear are:

1.) Lack of any +hit on melee gear (which is the primary stat for raiding). I've used my S3 rogue gear to raid and my damage sucked due to that amount of missing I was having. I was constantly out-dps by a combat T4/5 rogue using the talon/ZA sword OH while I was combat with dual S3 swords.
2.) Same with +hit to spells for caster gear
3.) The lack of decent intellect, spirit, and mp5 on healing gear AKA no endurance in boss fights.
4.) Resilience

The problem is Blizzard is mixing PvP and PvE now with the badges and Tier pieces. People will start PvEing for PvP pieces (some of them already are, ie. warglaives, trinkets, DPS gear). This will give the hardcore PvEr the advantage above the hardcore PvPer. They maxed out resilience in season 2. Since then, hardcore PvPers (like me) are trying to maximize their DPS. And the best (and only) place to get that type of gear is through raiding.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
Originally posted by: Aikouka
Originally posted by: Xavier434
This is not accurate. Jeff Kaplan already announced at BlizzCon that the drastic changes in gear upgrades that we saw from Vanilla WoW -> TBC will be seen again for TBC -> WotLK.

Well, technically it is accurate because that's what I think :p. Whether or not Blizzard will follow it is not necessarily true. I do think it's a bit ridiculous that Blizzard wants another huge upgrade. As I described earlier, the upgrades in TBC were essential as the boost from blue instance gear to raid epics was huge. It was large enough that Blizzard could easily throw in ZG as a pre-raid (referring to large-scale) and not make the upgrades trivial (for blue-equipped players). Sure the epic gear is definitely better than the blue gear, but the blue gear in TBC is definitely on a higher level (literally ... the item level is higher! lulz) in comparison to where vanilla WoW's gear was at.

Although one thing I find annoying in WoW gearing is how Enhancement Shamans get the shaft. Most normal instance mail gear is designed with hunters in mind as Shamans don't need MP5 as much as a Hunter would want it (still isn't the top of their priorities, but it's helpful for them). It's to the point where I ignore sites like wow-loot.com because they refuse to list leather items for a Shaman. Personally, I'm aiming at grabbing some "rogue items" to boost my DPS further. This wouldn't be so bad if the Desolation set didn't have some of the drops in heroics. I really don't have much of a desire to do it... but I might just have to go and PVP again to pick up the S1 axes for my Shaman. I originally did this and purchased the blue PVP axe before they made S1 available. Unfortunately for me, if I would've just quit playing before I bought the axe, I'd have a 20dps (!!) increase as well as some minor stat increases.

This is true. This whole ez mode thing that we are seeing for 2.4 is a direct response to the complaints they got concerning what you posted here. I don't think it is a big deal. The hardcore players got to be king for a while and they will be king once again when WotLK comes out. Passing the torch for a little while shouldn't be a concern. They have already proven their worth.

Yeah and hardcore players can still make fun of us saying we had to be babied just to get into SSC/TK :p.

Currently, there is no reason to do PvP for PvE gear with exception of that damn trinket for Archimonde. Sure, having a set of "stam" gear is nice but it isn't that necessary when you compare the PvE gear which is supposed to be on par with the PvP gear.

I see a lot of people grabbing the PVP weapons for PVE because they usually include PVE stats such as +hit which the armor doesn't have. I know there are people in my guilds that use the PVP healing mace.

EDIT:

Originally posted by: Anubis
where did i say you would have to PVP for PVE gear? i said leave it the same just remove resil, the current PVP gear aside from the weps is crap for PVE, even if you replaced the resil with stam it would still be crap

I believe his point was to state the reverse since he's the opposite of the point made. In other words, he said it'd suck to have to PVE to get gear for PVP and that he'd hate to the do the opposite... PVP for PVE gear since he's a PVE'r.

yea but i never argued the reverse, in my 2nd statement about removeing resil you would still have the arena system and arena gear, so you could just PVP for PVP gear

also i LOL about your bit on ENCH shammys and am in 100% agreement
armory up "Spartecus" on Skullcrusher, hes our ench shammy wearing 100% leather, we call him a rogue without stealth

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Originally posted by: invidia

1.) Lack of any +hit on melee gear (which is the primary stat for raiding). I've used my S3 rogue gear to raid and my damage sucked due to that amount of missing I was having. I was constantly out-dps by a combat T4/5 rogue using the talon/ZA sword OH while I was combat with dual S3 swords.

The thing is though that the weapons actually have these stats on them and they have little resilience which makes them great DPS upgrades. I'm tempted to just ignore getting the staff from Warp Splinter and grabbing the PVP staff on my mage instead.

I mean just look at 'em:

http://www.wowdb.com/item.aspx?id=28341
http://www.wowdb.com/item.aspx?id=24557

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com

The thing is though that the weapons actually have these stats on them and they have little resilience which makes them great DPS upgrades. I'm tempted to just ignore getting the staff from Warp Splinter and grabbing the PVP staff on my mage instead.

I mean just look at 'em:

http://www.wowdb.com/item.aspx?id=28341
http://www.wowdb.com/item.aspx?id=24557

for most classes the arena wepons are then 2nd best in the game, for casters the Staff is 2nd only to the one from illidan, the 1H is only beaten by the one from archimonde

for rogues the S3 swords > anything but warglaves
the healing mace and staff are really only surpassed by T6 drops

abaez

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
If you removed resilience from PvP gear you go straight back to the situation that made them put reslience on the gear in the first place - that raiders could just go into arena's and dominate because they had the time and patience to raid and get better gear over people who could not raid at all. Yes, even joe casual losing all of his games will eventually get his s3 gear (minus the shoulders), which is the whole point - to open up the game to more people, especially those who don't have the time to raid.

Now, a T6-geared raiding priest with no resilience would get destroyed in any sort of semi-competitive arena. It was a really good idea to eliminate the gear gap. I'm in this situation and I don't mind, the pvpers put the time in to get the gear and have fun doing what they like to do, while I put the time in to have fun doing what I like to do.

There are some items obtained via pvp that can be used in pve and vice-versa, but for the most part they are separate.

As for being able to use t6 tokens to get s2 gear without pvping, I'm already taking advantage of this by having 3 tokens, but even though it benefits me, if I was a pvper I would think it's unfair. I can get my t6 raiding pieces, and eventually pvp gear over time. While a pvper will get his full set, but no chance to get any good raiding gear, so it doesn't go both ways.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
yea but i never argued the reverse, in my 2nd statement about removeing resil you would still have the arena system and arena gear, so you could just PVP for PVP gear

Oh no no, it's not about you arguing the reverse. It's just saying something like, "I think the PVPers would be pissed if they had to PVE to get gear.... I know I'd be pissed if I had to PVP to get gear for PVE." Something like that.

also i LOL about your bit on ENCH shammys and am in 100% agreement
armory up "Spartecus" on Skullcrusher, hes our ench shammy wearing 100% leather, we call him a rogue without stealth

Hah, I looked him up and you can tell his gear is definitely meant for a rogue based on how high his crit chance is. Rogue and Hunter gear tends to have more agility on it since agility provides AP and crit (which you know) as well as the gear also having +AP. The thing is, shamans only get crit (I know there's dodge and armor as well), so they tend to get a ton of crit out of these items when they use them. It's kind of unfortunate too as I think your guild's Rogue-Shaman could use some more AP.

Also, he should take the two points from Improved Reincarnation (not really all that useful in PVE unless you want to rez after an unfortunate death or a forced death based on a boss move) and throw them into Concussion. Will raise the DPS by a little bit.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
Originally posted by: abaez
If you removed resilience from PvP gear you go straight back to the situation that made them put reslience on the gear in the first place - that raiders could just go into arena's and dominate because they had the time and patience to raid and get better gear over people who could not raid at all. Yes, even joe casual losing all of his games will eventually get his s3 gear (minus the shoulders), which is the whole point - to open up the game to more people, especially those who don't have the time to raid.

not it wouldent, if you did a 1:1 swap for resil to stamina people in PVP gear woudl have 4-5000 more HP then those in raid gear and that would be a massive advantage

CalvinHobbes

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2004
I love reading this thread but I understand very little of what's being said. I'm 90% PVE, I've done a few of the battlegrounds but not much.

Where can I find out more about the rewards, honor points, etc. I'm completely confused by the PVP world, the gear and the reward system.

That said, I would love to improve my gear and I'm clearly not ready for higher level raids. What would be good place to start for a lvl 70 with pretty standard gear?

Oh and what's with the whole getting "keyed" for a raid. What does that mean?

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002

The problem is Blizzard is mixing PvP and PvE now with the badges and Tier pieces. People will start PvEing for PvP pieces (some of them already are, ie. warglaives, trinkets, DPS gear). This will give the hardcore PvEr the advantage above the hardcore PvPer. They maxed out resilience in season 2. Since then, hardcore PvPers (like me) are trying to maximize their DPS. And the best (and only) place to get that type of gear is through raiding.

I don't understand how this will give the PvEr the advantage. At best, I think it will just make the hardcore PvEr who doesn't do much PvP more difficult to kill as opposed to being cake walk, but the hardcore PvPer should still have the advantage because they will have the latest season's gear and their raw experience in PvP will push them well over the top. Gear only gets you so far.

Oh no no, it's not about you arguing the reverse. It's just saying something like, "I think the PVPers would be pissed if they had to PVE to get gear.... I know I'd be pissed if I had to PVP to get gear for PVE." Something like that.

Precisely

not it wouldent, if you did a 1:1 swap for resil to stamina people in PVP gear woudl have 4-5000 more HP then those in raid gear and that would be a massive advantage

The problem I see with that is using that kind of PvP gear for PvE would completely unbalance raiding and dungeons. Despite the loss in other stats that PvP gear results in, having that huge increase in stam throughout the entire raid would make many fights trivial. Boosting the challenge of those fights to compensate wouldn't work either because that would mean PvErs would need to PvP for gear.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
the actually wow website is actually a great resource for the info you seek

as for gear and such there are database sites like wowhead and wowdb, maxdps is a good site for minmaxing

wowwiki is also excellent

getting "keyed" or "attuned" for an instance just means that you have done that quest line or something similar that allows you to access certian instances

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com

I don't understand how this will give the PvEr the advantage. At best, I think it will just make the hardcore PvEr who doesn't do much PvP more difficult to kill as opposed to being cake walk, but the hardcore PvPer should still have the advantage because they will have the latest season's gear and their raw experience in PvP will push them well over the top. Gear only gets you so far.

Precisely

The problem I see with that is using that kind of PvP gear for PvE would completely unbalance raiding and dungeons. Despite the loss in other stats that PvP gear results in, having that huge increase in stam throughout the entire raid would make many fights trivial. Boosting the challenge of those fights to compensate wouldn't work either because that would mean PvErs would need to PvP for gear.

you are correct but im sure you could design the encounter to make it so that pure stam stacking didnt make it ezmode

hell we allready stam stack on Najentus and Bloodboil to make them a joke

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002

you are correct but im sure you could design the encounter to make it so that pure stam stacking didnt make it ezmode

hell we allready stam stack on Najentus and Bloodboil to make them a joke

I'd love to hear anyone's suggestions on how to do that without seriously limiting what the devs can work with in terms of designing encounters. That plus it would have to be done in a way which makes sure the players do not feel as if they need to PvP in order to get the best gear for PvE, No matter how you slice it, damage is damage and anything which makes the whole raid stay alive longer makes the encounter easier. Push that concept too far and it quickly becomes trivial.

The only thing which I can possibly come up that would make what you are suggesting to work without barricading what devs can do in terms of designing a boss encounter would be to introduce a new stat which is only useful in a PvE setting, but is required in order to perform well. Basically, that would mean shifting the need for resilience from PvP over to PvE except we wouldn't call it resilience and it would do something different (I have no clue what it would do though).

Of course, even that becomes a major bitch because PvE also encompasses soloing and 5 mans which are much more popular overall than PvP. That means you would have to incorporate this new stat for those two types of scenarios too. It just isn't worth the hassle.

Resilience didn't hurt PvP. That new stat plus the increase in stam on PvP gear is what made it possible for PvPrs to not be required to PvE if they wish to be the best at PvP.

Chimley

Jan 28, 2008
Resil. was a great idea at it's conception. The basic reason fgor including that stat on PvP gear is to draw out those Arena matches. Coming from Pre-BC WoW PVP.. it was always a huge Burst fest that lasted three seconds. Now, you can't just blow someone up like you used to. Resil cut down on the ability to kill a player in 2 moves (for the most part). I think that makes Arena games more enjoyable.

On the flip side.. the Resil should be an ARENA/BG only stat. I don't know how they can implement that.. but it's my feeling that it shouldn't work worth a shit outside of the battlegrounds.

I'm on a PvP Server. Since I'm a prot warrior, using my toon wouldn't be a good example. So lets say I have a Tier 6 decked out Rogue. I'm out farming etc and I get jumped by a full Season 3 decked Mage. The mage has full use of his abilities without worry on his crits being reduced in damage or frequency. I on the otherhand have my damage reduced. So, regardless of what skills I employ, the mage downs me. I coudn't crit him worth a shit because he's maxed out Resil. Yet I'm in a BT Farming guild. How is that really fair? I can't compete/defend myself out in the "World" of the game because some jackass spent 10 games a week getting Arena points while I raided.

I know there are a ton of arguments that can rebuke my statement... it's just a personal observation.

Course I come from the days where after getting my Ashkhandi from BWL, I immediatly went into AB and destroyed people. Ahhh memories of when you PvE'd to PvP :D

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
Originally posted by: Chimley

Course I come from the days where after getting my Ashkhandi from BWL, I immediatly went into AB and destroyed people. Ahhh memories of when you PvE'd to PvP :D

i remember those days i however did the exact opp, PVPed for PVE, we had the most craptastic droprate on things 18 months or killing Rag no perds F that Grand marshal grind only took 3 months

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
Resil. was a great idea at it's conception. The basic reason fgor including that stat on PvP gear is to draw out those Arena matches. Coming from Pre-BC WoW PVP.. it was always a huge Burst fest that lasted three seconds. Now, you can't just blow someone up like you used to. Resil cut down on the ability to kill a player in 2 moves (for the most part). I think that makes Arena games more enjoyable.

On the flip side.. the Resil should be an ARENA/BG only stat. I don't know how they can implement that.. but it's my feeling that it shouldn't work worth a shit outside of the battlegrounds.

I'm on a PvP Server. Since I'm a prot warrior, using my toon wouldn't be a good example. So lets say I have a Tier 6 decked out Rogue. I'm out farming etc and I get jumped by a full Season 3 decked Mage. The mage has full use of his abilities without worry on his crits being reduced in damage or frequency. I on the otherhand have my damage reduced. So, regardless of what skills I employ, the mage downs me. I coudn't crit him worth a shit because he's maxed out Resil. Yet I'm in a BT Farming guild. How is that really fair? I can't compete/defend myself out in the "World" of the game because some jackass spent 10 games a week getting Arena points while I raided.

I know there are a ton of arguments that can rebuke my statement... it's just a personal observation.

Well, I would say that on a PvP server where you can get ganked at any time you should be in your PvP gear most of the time while soloing unless you want to take a risk. Use your PvE gear for instances. The problem with making it an Arena/BG only stat is that it would bring upon similar problems to world PvP that the game was having with people getting 1-3 shot and it just not being much fun. It wouldn't be as bad as before TBC because the added stam is still there, but it would still be an issue to consider. Being that the player has the freedom of wearing whatever gear they have, I don't see why resil should be Arena/PvP only.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
im on the same PVP server as chimley and i never wear my PVP gear when doing daulys or farming, basically if anoyone attacks me i do a /golfclap and sit down

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
im on the same PVP server as chimley and i never wear my PVP gear when doing daulys or farming, basically if anoyone attacks me i do a /golfclap and sit down

Does that even happen often enough to merit resil being arena/bg only though? I heard that even on PvP servers this sort of thing is a bit rare.

Considering that Blizz is trying to promote world pvp more, I just think that such a change would be a move in the wrong direction.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com

Does that even happen often enough to merit resil being arena/bg only though? I heard that even on PvP servers this sort of thing is a bit rare.

Considering that Blizz is trying to promote world pvp more, I just think that such a change would be a move in the wrong direction.

it happens all the time, most times PVP happens and all is fine, im just to lazy 99% of the time to care and let people kill me and just rez and go on with what i was doing

ganking is a massive issue on high pop pvp servers, its pretty camn comon for 5 -10 bored lvl 70s to compleatly take over a low lvl zone and basicially make it impossiable for anyone to quest

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com

Hah, I looked him up and you can tell his gear is definitely meant for a rogue based on how high his crit chance is. Rogue and Hunter gear tends to have more agility on it since agility provides AP and crit (which you know) as well as the gear also having +AP. The thing is, shamans only get crit (I know there's dodge and armor as well), so they tend to get a ton of crit out of these items when they use them. It's kind of unfortunate too as I think your guild's Rogue-Shaman could use some more AP.

Also, he should take the two points from Improved Reincarnation (not really all that useful in PVE unless you want to rez after an unfortunate death or a forced death based on a boss move) and throw them into Concussion. Will raise the DPS by a little bit.

im pretty sure the he has those points in Imp reincarn is because the only way for shamans to drop agro is to die and rez, much like a fury warrior, and he does do this on certian fights because he outputs almost as much DPS as our rogues do

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002

it happens all the time, most times PVP happens and all is fine, im just to lazy 99% of the time to care and let people kill me and just rez and go on with what i was doing

ganking is a massive issue on high pop pvp servers, its pretty camn comon for 5 -10 bored lvl 70s to compleatly take over a low lvl zone and basicially make it impossiable for anyone to quest

Well, this is why I didn't roll on a PvP server. I figure that if such a thing bothers the player then they should stick with a PvE server. That's the solution to this kind of issue. Changing Resil is not.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com

Well, this is why I didn't roll on a PvP server. I figure that if such a thing bothers the player then they should stick with a PvE server. That's the solution to this kind of issue. Changing Resil is not.

yea the town camping thing not a resil issue its more of a people being total assholes issues
its gonna get interesting at 80 for people trying to lvl

i dont have any issue with world PVP i actually enjoy it, its just then when im farming or doing dailys im normall pressed for time so i just let people kill me

Chimley

Jan 28, 2008
But see here's the thing. Resil was created FOR Arena PVP with the idea of extending out the matches and make them fun. Until the Welfare Epics were made buyable from Honor Points, you could not get Arena gear (with the phatty resil) except for certain armor peices (like rings/boots/belts/wrists). My point is (and I'm selfish I know) if that if I'm out in the world doing whatever, be it dailys or grinding, or just looking for a fight, I should have a good chance at winning an encounter.. I'm in Tier (5/6 whatever) and my gear doesn't enable me to survive some jackass who may have put WAY less time in the game then I have in getting his gear.

I know, my fault for being a raider.

abaez

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000

That would be true if 1 stamina = 1 resilience, but it does not. They have completely different values in the item budget.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com

That would be true if 1 stamina = 1 resilience, but it does not. They have completely different values in the item budget.

its not like they couldent just say compleatly change the item budget, they have done it before, and it was just an example

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
But see here's the thing. Resil was created FOR Arena PVP with the idea of extending out the matches and make them fun. Until the Welfare Epics were made buyable from Honor Points, you could not get Arena gear (with the phatty resil) except for certain armor peices (like rings/boots/belts/wrists). My point is (and I'm selfish I know) if that if I'm out in the world doing whatever, be it dailys or grinding, or just looking for a fight, I should have a good chance at winning an encounter.. I'm in Tier (5/6 whatever) and my gear doesn't enable me to survive some jackass who may have put WAY less time in the game then I have in getting his gear.

I know, my fault for being a raider.

Nah, it isn't your fault because you are a raider, but it is kind of your fault by choosing to wear your PvE gear on a PvP server while being out in the world. Let's face it. While your PvE gear is better suited for farming/soloing the NPC mobs, your Arena gear can get the job done too without any issues. The upside is that you have the best chance of survival on all accounts in your PvP gear. The downside is that farming and soloing in PvP gear probably means you will progress a little bit slower but not too much. This is not really a flaw in the game. This is Blizz offering you a choice.

However, you kind of want your cake and eat it too by being able to kick major ass in both PvP and PvE by wearing the same gear set. Not that I blame you. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.