The anti-DRM thread

Page 19 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Regardless I do not see being required to make and be licenses by Microsoft as a big hurdle for a manufacturer
If MS wants to protect sales of their own peripherals, expect them to abuse the position. Also it's unlikely that MS would whitelist any products already on the market.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
Sony at it again, removing purchased content from users' libraries.

Why is there still a "buy" button? It's actually "purchase license until we revoke it at any time". Streaming is "convenient", yo.

Reactions: H T C and Ranulf

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
Capcom just added DRM to 11 year old Resident Evil Revelations. It blocks mods and has other technical issues like resetting the game to 60Hz every time you launch it.

This is the problem with "games as a service", enabled by DRM platforms like Steam that enforce mandatory auto-patching of single player titles. This wouldn't be possible on GOG because you actually own your games there.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
Class action lawsuit against HP. Consumers need to burn these donkeys.

Ubisoft removes access to The Crew from paying customers. Another example of "games as a service".

New initiative to stop this behavior.

Sign the petitions here.

Last edited:
Reactions: igor_kavinski

lakedude

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2009

lakedude

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2009
It is super frustrating to buy a game or movie you end up not liking or that does not work well with your system. In the distant past that lead me to "other" methods of procurement, however if I enjoyed a game or movie and it played nice with my system I'd buy a copy (or several). The "other" method became effectively a demo.

I bet I've purchased a dozen copies of FarCry over the years.

Now with actual demos or the ability to return a game on Steam (if you do it quick enough), combined with games tending to work better than in the past, the need to use "other" means is virtually eliminated.

In the old days I preferred the "other" copies even when I had a legitimate paid for disk because no disk was required. Or I'd make a disk image of the real disk so I wouldn't need to carry disks. Of course now with Steam you mostly just need an internet connection, which is handy, unless you don't have said connection.